1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Which should be my next camera?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by sin77, Sep 12, 2015.

1. sin77

sin77 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 9, 2011
    Singapore
    I usually shoot events with two cameras.

Either of these:
    1) Nikon D7100 (Sigma 17-50 f2.8 OS) + SB910 + GX7 (35-100 f2.8)
    2) E-M10 (12-40 f2.8) + Nissin i40 + GX7 (35-100 f2.8)
    3) LX100 + Nissin i40 + GX7 (35-100 f2.8)

Going forward, I will still be using 35-100 f2.8 to cover telephoto.
    I am trying to do away with D7100 and just go with small cameras.

For events, LX100 might not be a good choice and I am not so confident with it even though I like 12mm f1.7.

I will be selling away one of my cameras to get a new one.
    My consideration for a new camera will be one that can e-shutter. So E-M1 is out.
    Now is likely E-M10 mkii, GX8 or another GX7 (to save cost).
    Budget is not a big deal, and overall weight can be a factor.
    Having same system that can use the same type of batteries can be an advantage.
    I am neutral with both Olympus and Panasonic interface.
    I have considered Sony A7S but eventually gave up the ideal because of lenses, price etc.

Hope to hear some comments here.

Thanks in advance.

2. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I'd recommend the GM5 but I think it's a bit small for your 35-100. If 16mp is enough, how about a Panasonic G7? I think it might balance well with your zooms and it's close to the weight of the GX7.

3. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    GX8 if it uses the same battery type or if you plan on replacing the GX7 with a GX8 soon, if not, then the EM-10II for same battery type and very effective stabilization for the 12-40mm.

4. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

If you already have an em-10, gx7, 12-40 and 35-100 I would say you have an event kit already. What's a new camera going to do? Just dump the 7100 now and spend nothing.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    The GX8 doesn't have the same battery as the GX7, unfortunately. It has the same battery as the G7.

GX7 and LX100 do have the same battery though.

6. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    I really think that the D7100, as good as it may be, is more or less redundant in your kit - the 12-40mm beats the Sigma f/2.8 in real world use as well as image quality (regardless of DXOmark rankings - they only tell part of the story anyway!), so as long as you stick with that Sigma lens, you won't get much of an adavantage out of the certainly superior sensor performance, in spite of the better flash setup. If you do like the images from the D7100, I'd think about getting a suitable lens to go with it, like the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 - now that's a lens to drool over! But honestly, not even that would secure more useful results. The GX7, shot with the 35-100mm, is more or less a prefect fit, as is the 12-40mm on an E-M10 (though I'd recommend the additional grip, especially for event photography). I don't really see what you're missing from your kit - especially since you've got an LX100, too, so the silent shutter for the occasional close candid is already present in your kit (can't the GX7 do this as well?).

Bottom line: Keep your gear (maybe minus the Nikon - but only maybe, because there's a lot of potential there) and use it to the best of its abilities. You're not missing anything.

M.

• Like Like x 1
  7. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    EM5 mkII or EM10 MkII if you don't need C-AF.

8. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    GX-7 if you want to save on cost and keep the same batteries since you already own one. E-M10 II would be the next choice.
    I actually liked the LX-100 and am thinking of making of buying it and making a companion to my E-P5 with my 35-100 f/2.8 for events and travel because of the fast medium zoom lens and 4K video. I'm curious -- what is it about the LX100 that is not a good choice for this type of work.

Thanks.

9. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    As much as I love the LX100 - it's my favourite walkabout camera of all times, at least when it comes to digital -, I feel that for event photography, you might find the zoom action too slow (though it's very smooth - probably great for video), and furthermore, high ISO performance is not quite up to the latest mFT standards, most likely because of the slight sensor crop (of course, at the pixel level, it's quite competitive). It's still good in absolute terms, though, if you stay at ISO 800 or below (I'm talking about RAW files here), like on the older 12 MP bodies. I'm pretty sure that some people will find this rather limiting ...

Don't get me wrong - the LX100 is an amazing compact camera with really good low light capabilities. I wouldn't use it as a workhorse, though. In that role, the E-M10 with 12-40mm far surpasses it. And so does the E-PL7 with 17mm f/1.8 - while not as versatile, it's definitely better in low light, and size and weight are very similar to the LX100.

M.

• Like Like x 2
  10. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    Thank you for your feedback on the LX100 Andrew. You brought out something I didn't think of and brought out some great recommendations!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  11. sin77

sin77 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 9, 2011
    Singapore
    There's no touch screen for LX100 and the zoom is really slow.

12. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    For shooting events as you specified, perhaps look at which models have the most sophisticated and user-friendly flash/lighting control system? Even if you are not into that area today, it might be part of further development in your event photography.

Having said that, I'm not the right person to provide the answer.....

13. AlanU

AlanU Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2012
    I would suggest bare minimum a body with phase detection AF.

Your LX100 would be a great backup of a backup but otherwise the variable aperture does not give you full control of your creativity.

From your gearlist I'd suggest buying primes to cover your low light situations. I take event photography seriously since this is a documentation of "life" be it a birthday or a wedding.

f/2.8 zooms are extremely versatile but in some circumstances you need faster glass. I'd go with faster glass before another body.......for now anyways.

As TN Args has mentioned "flash". This is where building flash gear will allow more artistic art with remote flash photography.

Lotsa things to think about before buying additional bodies ;)

14. sin77

sin77 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 9, 2011
    Singapore
    I just bought a used E-M1. Now in a dilemma with selling either the E-M10 or GX7. If I sell em10 which i bought new, it translates to few hundreds dollars loss. If I sell the gx7 which I bought used, the loss is minimal. I like em10 because it is similar interface to em1. I like gx7 because it shares same battery as LX100.

Alternatively, i could sell both and get another em1 or em5 ii. Or keeping em10 until em1 ii is out.

15. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    If you decide the E-M1 is for you then I would go all Olympus. If selling the GX7 and E-M10 would fully fund the purchase of another E-M1, I'd go that route. There's something to be said for full familiarization of one's camera to the point that operating the controls becomes completely intuitive and not even on the conscious level. It often is the difference between getting the shot or missing it. Only if you decide you need your second camera to be smaller would I go for the E-M5 II. Keep the LX100 for casual fun. In fact, if you keep the tidy LX100, that's a further argument in favor of a second E-M1 over an E-M5 II.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
  16. sin77

sin77 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 9, 2011
    Singapore
    I just sold my E-M10 and GX7, and also bought another silver E-M1.

Having two E-M1 feels great.