1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Which Shot do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by WT21, Sep 29, 2011.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I took these two shots with different cameras while in PA Dutch country.

Was wondering which you prefer and why. Would really like to hear the reasons why one might appeal over the other.

If you don't like either, that's OK too, but just let me know why.

Just for information: Not that I think these are great shots, but they were shot with very different cameras, and I got hung up on the qualities that each camera presented. I wanted to hear what other folks respond to -- color, sharpness, B&W, etc. But the composition did get in the way.

The shot on the left was shot with an EP3 + 14-150, at 14mm f/4.0 and ISO1600. The shot on the right is scanned from Film - Canonet 40mm shot at 1.7 ISO 400, Fuji Reala (I think it was Reala). I like the colors and the feel of #2, but agree #1 was the more interesting shot. I was trying to get the bright yellow chair with the Canonet in #2. I think the colors worked, but not the composition.

I've done some pp work on shot number one, and put them in post 12 here: https://www.mu-43.com/f56/shot-do-you-prefer-16867/index2.html#post155443

Thanks for the feedback!

[​IMG] 20110919-49820015.

2. vidiot72

vidiot72 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 11, 2011
    Montgomery, Alabama
    B&W for sure....the color version just looks like an old tractor in a crappy garage. You can't see the jung in the B&W version and the light from the window really stands out more. I like the B&W shot because it's a little wider too and you can see some of the ground.

3. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    I like the color and texture of the second photo, but the composition of the first photo...

IMHO, too much color could sometimes distract from a photo, but in this case, the slightly faded color of the second photo add to the mood. Meanwhile, the B&W photo appears a little too sharp, which somehow doesn't fit with the objects of the photo... just my two cents...

4. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    Definitely first shot.

1. Point of interest (tractor/front of tractor) is in focus.
    2. In the second shot I can't tell what the point of interest is: the area in focus includes the chrome exhaust, the steering wheel and the rear tire - what's to look at?
    3. What color there is in the second shot is dull and, if anything, draws the eye to a jumble of indistinct junk.
    4. For pic 1 I'd crop/clone out the window in the upper right corner - distracting.

5. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    The better composition of the B&W photo makes this an unfair comparison, IMHO. Although with the same composition in the color version, I'd still prefer the B&W. Without the color it seems cleaner and holds my attention longer.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    the first shot has a clear subject. It would like nice in color or black and white.

• Like Like x 1
  7. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    btw -- thought I'd add: I shot the first set in B&W, the second was shot in color. Very limited intentional post production.

8. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Toronto
    I perfer the B&W. I think adding some film grain would really help it as well to give some additional moody rustic feel to it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. B&W definitely works here, but beyond that I prefer to see the whole tractor. An out-of-focus foreground is difficult to make work - I think that it detracts from the image in #2.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Christilou

Christilou Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 25, 2010
    Camberley, Surrey
    I prefer the first b & w photo.

A) It's in focus and B) I'm able to view the composition as a whole.

The second photo doesn't work for me as my eye is constantly drawn to the windows above the subject and the foreground is focused on the most uninteresting part of the tractor.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Fred49

Fred49 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2010
    FRance
    exactly my opinion

12. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Here is shot #1 with some post production (I had originally shot it as jpg + Raw. The first post had the jpg shot in camera in B&W. These two are from the RAW). Would love some more thoughts on which you prefer and, again, why:

20110831-P8312416Copy_2-2. 20110831-P8312416Copy_3.

13. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    B&W for sure

14. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    Tougher choice. Still prefer the B&W. The muted colors certainly add something, but color also brings out the red clutter behind the seat. Could I suggest dodging that area and allowing it to become part of the shadows? Might improve both versions...

• Like Like x 1
  15. mzd

mzd Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I definitely prefer the b&w image. I think it is because the green is pretty washed out in the color image (flash?). In this case, the colors don't seem to add to the image, if anything, they distract from the great textures on the tractor that are really brought out in black and white. And yes, this composition is much stronger than the second one you posted in the first post. Though I do think it could benefit from a small rotation clockwise, but you'd have to play with it to find the best rotation.

• Like Like x 1
  16. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    No flash on these. Just available light.

Rotating was my initial thought, too.

I tried the rotating. The barnyard slats are what make you think that. When straightened, though: a) the background actually loses some interest, and b) the exhaust on the tractor gets noticeably out of plumb (it's already pitched slightly right).

17. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I've put some camera information into the first post, if anyone is interested. The first two shots in post #1 were actually digital vs. film.

18. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Thanks for the additional info. It explains why the first B&W felt artificially sharp to me, while the second photo has a much more natural texture to it.

As for the second comparison of the first shot, I still like the color version better. The faded color on the tracker is what gives the photo its personality, IMHO. Moreover, the light from the window seems more distracting in the B&W version.

• Like Like x 1
  19. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I had to reduce the glare in the window on the color version, because it was heavily PFed. I guess I should do the same on the B&W version.

Just for fun, here's the film version done in B&W and some levels adjustment, compared to the EP3 in B&W.
    20110919-49820015Copy_3. 20110831-P8312416Copy_3-1.

20. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    First shot, because of the composition and the focus.