1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Which setings to get this file size combo...?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Warren T., Nov 13, 2011.

1. Warren T.

Warren T. Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 10, 2010
    San Francisco
    hi Lumix users, I was wondering if there is a combination of settings that will give me the following when shooting RAW+JPG:

Full size RAW, AND smallest possible JPG sized file.

I would like the RAW version for my post-processing and critical work, and the JPG for easy emailing of the same images for non-critical viewing.

Does that make sense?

I currently use a G1 and GF1. I've been shooting RAW+JPG at the highest quality settings, and I was wondering if there is a way to shrink the size of the JPG files without compromising the RAW version.

Thanks!

Warren

2. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    If I go to my image quality option in my G2's menu, here is what I have available:
    -Jpeg fine, represented by 2 rows of rectangles with an arrow
    -Jpeg standard, represented by only one row of rectangles with an arrow
    -RAW + jpeg fine, represented by written "RAW" with the jpeg fine symbol next to it
    -RAW + jpeg standard, represented by written "RAW" with the jpeg standard symbol next to it
    -RAW, represented by only having "RAW" shown

Mine is listed in my manual, page 127, "Using the Rec. mode menu," with the subheading [QUALITY]. Look in your menu, under the icon represented with the camera symbol.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    All RAW is "full size".

• Like Like x 1
  4. You want to go to your quality setting and set it for RAW + standard. That will give you a decent JPG and a RAW image. I have this set as one of my custom profiles and use it most of the time. All the JPGs are good for Picasa a web images. If I really like an image I can go to the RAW file and knock myself out with Photoshop and make a beautiful large print.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Warren T.

Warren T. Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 10, 2010
    San Francisco
    Thanks for the answers, Everyone :).

--Warren

6. taran

taran Mu-43 Regular

Oct 19, 2011
    If you have an image program like Photomechanic, you can extract the basic jpg that is embedded in every RAW, negating the need to shoot RAW + JPG separately.

7. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    But those embedded jpegs are typically very compressed, and pretty poor quality. If you really want to do anything with the jpeg, you'll want better. If you only plan to display them on a 3" screen, the embedded ones are probably fine.

8. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Also, if you use an organizational program like Lightroom, you can export JPEG files very quickly. That's what I do, so I don't clutter up my hard drive with multiples of each image. Plus, Lightroom organizes photos for me, lets me tag them, etc.