Which SD Cards are you using in your GH4

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Lufthummel, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Lufthummel

Lufthummel Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2013
    Hi all,

my GH4 is coming and I'm now wondering which SD card will be the right for 4K video and action shooting. Some other posts state that UHS-III cards are not necessary. Which cards are you using and what are your experiences?

thx in advance for your help
  2. val

val Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2013
    Panasonic GH4 training night, we were given these to use with the GH4 and it kept up with the 4k video but I didn't do any crazy action or shoot RAW.

been using it in my camera (GX7) ever since and it's very nice having the WRITE speed written on it unlike other companies -_-
  3. RRRoger

RRRoger Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2014
    Monterey Bay
    Unless it is underrated your card can only write 96Mbps and this is usually "up to" not a sustained speed.
    Try downloading the free Media Info and analyze one of the files. It may be a lot less than 100Mbps.
    My most recent one had an overall bit rate of only 77.3 Mbps

I have been shooting with a 64GB SanDisk 95MBs and 64GB Kingston class 3 cards.
    I used both today on one 2 hr 59GB bowling video series.
    Now that I am beginning to shoot 4k, I ordered a 128GB Transcend class 3 card and a 5TB Toshiba Hard Drive.

Class 3 cards are suposed to have a guarenteed minimum of 30MBs (240Mbps) sustained write speed.

I shot my first Video with the 128GB Transcend class 3 card today at 1080 P60 and it worked perfect.
    I will soon test it at 4k P30 and maybe intra 200Mbps as well.
    I shoot unattended for over two hours at a time so I needed a larger capacity card.
    It cost me $99 at Amazon
    • Like Like x 1
  4. GB23

GB23 New to Mu-43

Jul 14, 2014
    I purchased several 'Transcend 64GB Ultimate U3' cards for use in my GH4 and they seem fine. Very sensible price for what is a very fast SDXC card, I paid £26 each.

I've tried it on a range of different GH4 video settings while I'm learning about the camera and had no problems but I've not done long video clips as yet, only short stuff up to about 3 or 4 minutes in length.
  5. lemmy

lemmy Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2013
    London, England
    David Thorpe
    I use a Kingston UHS 1 U3 card which was £37 for 32GB. It has an advertised write rate of 80MBps or 640Mbps which is way ahead of the maximum data rate of the GH4's video at 200Mbs and which would be very rarely attained, let alone sustained. Even so, its ability to accept a sustained high rate should be fine.

My reasoning was to have some headroom for RAW sequence shooting but in fact my class 10 cards handle everything perfectly well. I've used Kingston cards reliably for years which is why I pay the bit extra for them, though I've no reason to think they are materially better than any others.
  6. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
  7. Talanis

Talanis Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2012
    Sherbrooke, Canada
    Eric Cote
    I'm using Sandisk Extreme Pro (95MB/s) and everything is working perfectly in FHD and 4K. You have to remember that the video output is in BITrate and card speed are indicated in Byterate. I didn't shoot in 200 MB/s though, only at 100 (so my cards need to handle 12,5 MB/s only.

You can read this: http://suggestionofmotion.com/blog/panasonic-gh4-memory-card-requirements/
  8. Lufthummel

Lufthummel Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2013
    Thx for your answers - I think I will try the PNY cards.
  9. noohoggin1

noohoggin1 Instagram: @tomnguyenstudio

May 21, 2012
    I am also using the same as Talanis (SD Extreme Pro, 95MB/s, UHS 1--I already had one from my EM5), and so far in my short experiments with the GH4, I haven't experienced any hiccups.