Which SD card is best???????

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by JoJo, Nov 10, 2013.

1. JoJo

JoJo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    I recently bought six Lexar SDHC cards because Lexar has always worked well for me. Now, of the six cards, two have broken. The tines between the copper contacts turned up and broke. Time to research more cards! Can anyone suggest a well made card? For video with the EM5, which read/write speed is suggested?

Lexar suggested that I be more careful with insertion but after the first card broke I was EXTRA careful .......bad Lexar
  2. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    When I bought my first "real" camera, it was a G3 with the kit lens and I also bought the 20mm with it. I asked the salesman what he recommended, and of course he suggested the most expensive one. It was a Sundisk, Extreme Pro, class 10, 95MB/Sec. Never any issues, I have 2 of them now.
  3. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I can't imagine a scenario where a properly cared for SD card will deform and break, at least not the contacts. I prefer CF cards (hidden contacts, sturdier) for that 'safe' feeling, but I've never, ever had issues with any SD cards. The SanDisk Extreme and Extreme Pro cards are good, but Lexar should be just as good. I have one SanDisk Extreme, but right now mostly a bunch of Samsung UHS-1 class cards. Look nice, work great, and Samsung has a good reputation for memory as far as I'm concerned. Cost half of the Extreme Pros for very similar performance.
  4. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    I agree.

Lexar is generally considered one of the best brands. The other leader is SanDisk. Whatever you go with you probably want at least a minimum of a Class 10 and UHS-1 specs. With video you are primarily concerned with the long run continuous transfer rate (what the UHS-1 is supposed to refer to) rather than the bust speed for read (what the Class rating and the MD/sec is usually reference).

Personally, most of my cards are SanDisk.
  5. sajudson

sajudson New to Mu-43

Oct 9, 2013
    I had a bad experience a couple of years back with a Lexar SD card that left part of its plastic case behind when I pulled it out of my camera :frown:. After I extracted the rest of the case, I "retired" all of my Lexar cards. I now only use SanDisk Ultra or Extreme cards in my cameras, which seem to be better made.
  6. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    The best card for the EM5 is, I understand..........Lexar Professional 600x...90MB/s.......I have the 16GB.

Never had a problem.
  7. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    It doesn't matter what brand so long as you got a fast card. I recently got a Samsung UHS-1 that completely changed my view on SD write speeds.

Flash memory are usually sourced from the same 3-5 suppliers worldwide. They're all high quality.
  8. Kilauea

Kilauea Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2012
    I have heard, no first hand experience, that Lexar cards performed very well, but that their build quality wasn't superb. Sandisk on the other hand is very similar in performance, but the build quality is said to be better. I personally use a combination of Sandisk extreme and Transcend. I've had no problems with either.
  9. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I went into the shop to get my E-M5 a while back and thought of getting a SanDisk card, but got sold on a good deal for a Lexar instead. No problems so far.
  10. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Used both Sandisk and Samsung without any issues.

Yes it would appear that the EM-5 can utilise higher speed cards.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app
  11. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I generally use PNY and Sandisk. Gravitated towards mostly PNY though due to a lot of fake Sandisk SD cards hitting the market a few years ago.
  12. JoJo

JoJo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Thanks everyone! As a pro who charges for his service, I can not afford to lose a clip or an image. I am going with SanDisk. More expensive than most but evidently more reliable.
  13. humzai

humzai Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 17, 2012
    The fastest sd card available or about to be available is the toshiba exceria pro line which has like 245 MBA read and write coming out this month. I'd stick with sandisk extreme pro however.
  14. mistermark

mistermark Mu-43 Regular

Oct 16, 2012
    I understand that the actual memory comes from only three or four factories worldwide, but the casing etc may vary according to brand. Sandisk Extreme (45mb/s) and Extreme Pro have excellent reputations. The Pro version in particular is great for people who shoot high-speed sequences because both read and write speeds are 95mb/sec, whereas many other cards marketed as having 85-95mb/sec speeds actually read only at that speed, with writing being perhaps half that speed.

BTW, if you're buying Sandisk, here's a piece of information I found buried on the firm's website: the card are water-resistant/proof only up to and including 64GB. So steer clear of the 128GB versions...
  15. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    I've had many cards from many brands and physically the Sandisk extreme are the best.

A number of off brand cards have just fallen apart, physically breaking into pieces.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app
  16. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I presently use a SanDisk Extreme, a PNY Elite, a Samsung Pro (black), a Samsung (silver), and a Sony 94 mb speed, all class 10 U1, and a Transcend class 6 card. Other than the Transcend card being slower on burst shooting, I can't say I see any difference between them for performance. My sense is that the SanDisk Extreme and the Samsung Pro are built tougher than the others, but I can't even say that with any real rigor.
  17. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Not sure why someone with m43 has need of a 128gb card. I am personally of the belief that spreading around images means less chance of one card going bad, and losing everything. Even the 16gb ones I have are fine for a couple of days shooting. Now if I had something like the MF bodies that can get up to ~1.5-2GB per photo, then I understand. But to me, just seems like overkill.

I have a Lexar Pro? (Black) and a regular Sandisk. Both work well, with the higher end card clearing the buffer faster (understandably).
  18. snaimpally

snaimpally Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2012
    I use Sandisk, PNY/Polaroid, and Patriot cards and all have performed well. Patriot makes all kinds of memory and I have used their main memory in several computers with good success. I recently picked up a Samsung card and it is supposedly weather-sealed. It has performed well. Samsung is vertically integrated - they manufacture memory chips so they likely make the SD card, whereas most other companies probably have someone else make the card for them.

Also, make sure the card is at least a class 10 (10 mbps read/write speed). If you plan to record video or do raw+jpg then get a faster card, e.g., 20 mbps or better. Check the specifications and look for the write speed - the faster the better.
  19. jhawk1000

jhawk1000 Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 30, 2013
    I have had Sony, Lexar, Sandisk, Transcend and PNY cards and all of them have been good. The main thing as has been said before is to get one with the ability to write and download as fast as possible. I use cards of 35mb to 90 mb speed and they are all called different things dependent on the maufacturer. Extreme, Pro-Elite, etc. I use my cards in a Panasonic G5 and Oly E-PL1 and find that unless I am shooting bursts, class 10 cards will work okay and in an emergency, a class 6. My wife has a Nikon D600 and she uses the fastest cards UHS-1 and hers are Sandisk Extremes or the Sony fastest card. I shop for the best prices on the cards and don't worry much about the name on the card.
  20. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    I have never had any card - SD or CF fail or break. Can't imagine that happening.
    Faster is better, obviously.