1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Which reflector to buy first?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by prophet, Nov 22, 2014.

1. prophet

prophet Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2014
    I would like to buy a reflector for the occasional portrait shoot outside. I thought of getting a white/gold one, but have no clue which size makes sense. Any recommendations what the diameter should be?

2. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    Why not get a 5-in-1? You can get them pretty inexpensively. As for size it probably depends on you're use. I don't use them a lot and have a 20" which I most use for nature photography out in the field. For portraiture type stuff I think 40" would make more sense, though you probably need a stand or an assistant to use it effectively. White is neutral and is generally the most useful. Gold adds a nice warm tone. The sliver reflects the most light but I think it's generally too hot. The 5-in-1 also gives a very useful diffuser.

3. edmsnap

edmsnap Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 20, 2011
    Edmonton, Alberta
    A good 5-in-1 is the only way to go. Get the biggest one you can comfortably carry around. The smaller they are, the less useful they become. The fold up to a very small shadow of their deployed size.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.