1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

which prime please?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by beckyi90, Dec 9, 2012.

1. beckyi90

beckyi90 Mu-43 Rookie

May 21, 2012
    Stockton, UK
    Hi, Sorry if this is discussed elsewhere I cant find it.

I'm wanting a prime lens, either 14/17(ver1)/19/20mm

I'm wanting to know which focusses faster on the olympus epl3, and if its the 20mm is it that much faster to justify an extra £100.

I can get all the others second hand for about the £100mark but the 20mm is about £200, which I could stretch to. I dont have a very good job so cant afford too much.

I do a mixture of indoor and outdoor shots, I enjoy primes on my film cameras so want one for my digital. Also feel it would be a nice to have a combo that would fit in my jacket pocket.

Thanks in advance!

2. duke

duke Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Duke
    Focusing speed is (from fastest to slowest)
    1. 19/14
    2. 20
    3. 17

3. LowTEC

LowTEC Mu-43 Regular

the 20 focuses probably the slowest of all, I have tried it, it is damn slow specially in low light. but on the other hand, it has the by far the fastest/brightest aperture to freeze movement of your subject, not to mention, it is also the sharpest.

day time I would pick
    2.14, 19

night time
    1. 20 if your subject moves slow or stay still or 14 if you are taking photo of a moving kid indoor
    2. 19

avoid 17 2.8, slow focusing and slowest aperture of the bunch as well

or 17mm 1.8, win all. Well, except your wallet :) 

4. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Get the 20.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.