1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Which Prime Lens Equivalent?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by titanaircraft, Nov 10, 2012.

1. titanaircraft

titanaircraft New to Mu-43

Nov 7, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Brandon
    OM-D is on order, now I just need to figure out which prime lens to get. Looking through my catalog of photos, I shoot a lot at 50mm, mind you this was with a 60D and 24-105 lens.

Would that work out to be the Oly 45 1.8? 90mm on the OM-D to the 50 x 1.6 = 80mm on the 60D? Or is my math all wrong?

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The 60D is a crop sensor. Just use the same similar focal lengths you were using, maybe just a little wider. If you liked 50mm, then the 45mm will do you well.

I'll give you the visual difference between your images from APS-C and Four-Thirds...

These are the crops off a Full Frame, using the same focal length on the lens:

sensor-size_comparison.

This is what the APS-C crop looks like, same focal length:

sensor-size_aps-c.

And this is what the Four-Thirds crop looks like, same focal length:

[​IMG]

As you can see, the "zoom", "magnification", "viewpoint", "perspective" or whatever you want to call it is virtually the same. The difference is that you cut off the long ends and make the image squarer with the 4:3 aspect ratio of Four-Thirds. So a 45mm lens on the OM-D will give you the same sort of image as a 50mm lens on the 60D, but with a squarer crop.

• Like Like x 2
  3. titanaircraft

titanaircraft New to Mu-43

Nov 7, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Brandon
    Ned, thanks for posting that. Makes perfect sense now. Off to go find a 45 1.8 and patiently wait for the new 17 1.8 to be released.

4. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    One thing I've noticed with the Zuiko 50mm f1.4 on my E-PL1/2s using the VF-2 is that if you look thought it with both eyes open things in the image and in the real world are the exact same apparent size.