Which Premium Lens - Olympus 75mm f/1.8 or Panasonic 12-35mm f/2.8?

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, May 23, 2012.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Two long-awaited premium lenses will soon be available for the Micro Four Thirds system, the Olympus 75mm f/1.8 and the Panasonic 12-35mm f/2.8. Early word is that both lenses offer superb build and performance.

Based on US pre-order pricing at Amazon and B&H, the Panasonic fast zoom will cost $1299, while the word on the street is that the Olympus prime will cost around $800.

Update: DPReview is putting the expected price of the Olympus 75/1.8 at $899.

Which one has you more excited? Which will you buy?

Update #2: Both lenses are available for pre-order at B&H:
  2. Empireme

Empireme Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2011
    LA, CA
    I've been waiting forever for the 12-35... but I promised my wife no more lenses until after we buy our house some time near the end of this year...

But when I can... it'll definitely be the zoom for me.
  3. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

The only time I get truly persnickety about my photography is with some wildlife shots and occasionally landscape. All my other various shooting is just amateur fun stuff and the new 12/50 is just fine. So I have the 12mm and I wait for a high grade telephoto. I may go legacy manual focus though because they may never produce a great prime telephoto. I would love to have both these lenses but they would be a waste of money for me. :smile:
  4. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    If I were going to buy one it would be the Panasonic 12-35 as I'd get more use out of it. The 75/1.8 looks cool but I just don't see that as a focal length I'd use all that much.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Both are great news for the format, but for me it's no contest: the zoom. It would spend far more time mounted on the camera than a longer prime. The 45mm is the longest prime that I'd consider for now.
  6. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    I'm more tempted to hold out for the 35-100mm later this year. I'm sure the 12-35mm is nice, but I love the 9-18mm as well and it would seem a bit redundant at the wide end. And the 20mm is a decent lens for low light so I don't feel too bad about using those 2 as a (poor) substitute. The 75mm seems a bit too big for me to carry around for a prime that I dont think I would use too much.

Besides, I really should get a newer body..
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    If I could buy only two of those lenses, I would pick the m.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8 and the Lumix X 12-35mm f/2.8. Sorry, but that's the most I could narrow it down. :biggrin:
    • Like Like x 5
  8. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    Niether. Show me the 35-100!!!!!!
    • Like Like x 3
  9. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US

Though, I want the 75 to have fast reach, but the 12-35 would be far more useful to me. Can't decide.
  10. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I'm really interested in the 35-100mm too. The 75mm f/1.8 though would come in very handy for me, especially for things like indoor sports and events. However, there are also many 85mm f/1.4 lenses to fill that use as well. The 35-100mm f/2.8 is not something so easily matched by going manual. The Zuiko 35-100mm f/2 is excessive for a PEN or OM-D. :tongue:

Oh... speaking of the 85mm f/1.4... Rokinon has now changed their name to "Rokinon Digital", and say that Autofocus lenses are "hopefully" in the works... xD Off topic I know, but this just reminded me of it.
  11. Adrian Q

Adrian Q New to Mu-43

May 15, 2012
    Totally agree! The Panasonic 7-14mm, Oly 12-50mm, Oly 45mm and Pana 100-300mm make for a good kit, but filling in the middle with a fast 35-100mm would really complete things. I LOVE having two first party manufacturers to choose from. :)
  12. curtisls87

curtisls87 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2010
    Los Gatos, CA, USA
    Curt Schimmels
    While both lenses are fantastic additions to the lineup, I've really been getting into shooting with primes on my E-P3. Therefore, the 75mm interests me the most.
  13. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    I would ditch my 45, get the 35-100, then get the Rok 85/1.4 for FT or hopefully MFT. I don't do enough half body shots to require AF. And plus, there are a slew of MF 85s.
  14. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
  15. atomic

atomic Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Of the two it's the 75 for me.
  16. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    75 would displace my Zeiss Planar 85/1.4 lens as m4/3 portrait lens, simply because the AF can enable capturing the moment much more easily and reliably. Sure do love the Planar, though.
  17. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Apparently has same list price as the 12-35 in Japan !

For me it's the 12-35 no doubt at all. In Australia the 75 has a list price of $999.....and then I have to buy a hood, any guess at what the hood for this baby will cost.....$60 maybe ?

I could get so much more use out of the 12-35 that it's a total no brainier....from casual photo-walks through my neighborhood or the city, on fishing and skiing trips away with friends...just about everything.
  18. RussellOlaguer

RussellOlaguer Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2012
    Paranaque, Philippines
    Russell Olaguer
    I would prefer the 12-35mm.
    I think I will use it more than the 75mm.
    I already have the 45mm for my portrait-esques shots.
  19. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    In Canada the 75 is $999 as well, and I'd bet the hood will cost at least as much as the 12mm hood did, so grand total should be at least $1100. Even though it's hefty in price, I'd rather the 75. The zoom is useless and redundant considering the primes I have, plus I have no trust in X lenses. As far as I'm concerned the "X" means, big promises that fall flat and are inconsistent. After searching for 3 months for a 14-42X, I gave up trying to find a decent copy( not exceptional, just decent). Panny will have to do something extraordinary to get my dollars now, I trust the 1st gen glass and the Leica branded panny's, but X lenses are unreliable, inconsistent, and garner features and focal lengths that do nothing for me. Others may feel different, but if I'm throwing the cash down I expect a lot more from a manufacturer than "it should do the job". Sorry Panny in my book your X line is an epic failure, along with your customer service, production and shipping. Oh and I'll put my flame suit on now for those I've offended, I hope your experience with X glass is everything you want and need. I'm sure someone will state that this zoom and the 35-100 are what they have been yearning for, are BENCHMARK Lenses, KING OF ZOOMS, ETC...
    NEXT... this is me tapping my foot and waiting for something I need and or want.
    Maybe Oly can make a prime with some reach, along the same lines as their other quality primes. The 75 is untested by the masses, I've seen and held an early copy, wasn't able to shoot with it so it's all guessing and hoping at this time, but Oly's track record with purchases I've made have been great. The only issue I've had with Oly was my E-m5 locked up with the 20 and 25, and the store I preordered with has promised to find me a copy without this issue, so I'm much more tolerant with this one time issue.
  20. jmw

jmw Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2012
    San Francisco, CA
    75mm is probably more exciting for my own photography.

The 12-35mm f/2.8 is really a milestone for the m4/3 format though. This and the coming 35-100mm, are the type of lenses that can draw pros into the format and generate more momentum. :)