• Appreciate

• Useful

• Sad

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amin Sabet

Administrator
@archaeopteryx - On this site, both XF1 and XF2 have been heavily customized with third party addons, so it's best not to assume where the XF developers have introduced regressions of any kind (alerts, post ratings, etc) or what they care about based on your experiences on this site.

The third party addons for XF2 are somewhat less mature than they were for XF1, but that is mostly a function of how long XF2 has been out.

Brian Beezley

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Since I don't speak emoji and there are no words accompanying the symbols, I now have to study them to figure out which to select. I believe I know what each symbol means, but that's only because I'm familiar with this forum. How might a new user react?

Check mark: I'll press this to confirm that I've read the post.

Trophy: I'll reserve this for great shots of a sporting event.

The i symbol: This post is interesting so I'll click here.

Heart symbol: I just love this post so I'll select this.

This simple list would be easier for me and perhaps for new people:

Like Agree Funny Winner Informative Appreciate

Appreciate could be Thanks. That's how I use it.

Brian

Last edited:

Linh

Mu-43 All-Pro
I voted Like/Agree/Funny/Sad.... but I would almost say maybe have just three.. Like/Funny/Sad just to make things simple. "Like" feels like it encompasses agreement/informative. It's useful in someway. Funny gets us some humor. Sad gives us an opposite emotion to like because we want it there.

CyVan

Mu-43 All-Pro
Putting aside which ratings there are, which of these is a better display of ratings received:

View attachment 765642

or

View attachment 765643
I'd definitely prefer the bottom one albeit with smaller icons for this, mainly because it tells you at a glance what the different counts are. I can find out specifically who gave what by clicking it . I would think this would take up less space by default as well. Seeing the counts gives more immediate impact , "Wow 10 Winners 5 likes and a funny" then you can click to see the breakdown. Also , wasn't there a competition thread that used ratings to judge submissions where Winner was worth 2 pts and like 1. The rating counts would definitely make it easier to calculate those.
In terms of the selection list, I'm fine with it with just icons on the desktop because u can hover over them to find out what they mean with the mouse but I'm not sure how well that translates to mobile for new users.

archaeopteryx

Gambian sidling bush
it's best not to assume where the XF developers have introduced regressions of any kind
Sure. But, um, XenForo showcased the popup interface as part of the core v2 feature set and concern was raised with the popup flow later the same day. If it's unusable in enough end user cases to create problems for forum admins it's reasonable to consider it a broken feature rollout on XenForo's part. XenForo's intent was to disrupt v1 reaction addons in v2 and to make improvements later. I'm fine with that but it's reasonable XenForo have some accountability for choosing to end of life v1 without making a core v2 feature such as reactions whole.

XenForo was also asked 10 months ago about the UI space issues this thread is concerned with, albeit in a way which allowed XenForo to pass the issue to forum admins. One way of looking at this thread is XenForo built v2 with six default reactions whilst highlighting the ability to add reactions as part of the core feature. mu-43 then found nine reactions was too much of a customization to work well. What you've done is to shrink mu-43's reaction count to match XenForo's default count. So, at least in principle, mu-43 should be now be good. However, adding three reactions is comfortably within the scope of the feature. As such, it's reasonable to expect typical use cases such as a vertically oriented phone to be well behaved.

One can give XenForo a pass on this if one wants but nearly every software developer I've worked with would consider their results here to be marginal at best. There is one developer I know who'd likely disagree. However, he left to avoid being fired for even worse core feature delivery. So it'd be kind of hard to confirm. ;)

Amin Sabet

Administrator
There is one developer I know who'd likely disagree. However, he left to avoid being fired for even worse core feature delivery.
I guess you don’t know the lead Facebook developers? Because they put their considerable resources behind coming up with their current reactions functionality which works just like XF2.

archaeopteryx

Gambian sidling bush
Having known several Facebook development leads since well before there was a Facebook, they've consistently avoided ad hominem responses. I'm similarly disinclined. It's my experience the probability of constructive interaction becomes unfortunately low.

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
I'm definitely not looking to be contentious here, but I'll just say that this change to the "post reactions" feature due to the v2 upgrade is definitely a regressive step, IMHO. I thought the old scheme was one of the very nice extras that mu43 offered over other photo fora. The new scheme, even with additional rating types, is still clumsy compared to the old one.

However, I don't want to carp. Amin does a great job here and I really don't want to be seen as being critical of him. My point really is about the Xenforo UI strategy.

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
It’s still not really clear to me why there was a need to reduce the number of reactions. If anything I’d have liked to see it without the default like / long press for other reactions. But the range of reactions worked for me.

Amin Sabet

Administrator
I'm definitely not looking to be contentious here, but I'll just say that this change to the "post reactions" feature due to the v2 upgrade is definitely a regressive step, IMHO. I thought the old scheme was one of the very nice extras that mu43 offered over other photo fora. The new scheme, even with additional rating types, is still clumsy compared to the old one.

However, I don't want to carp. Amin does a great job here and I really don't want to be seen as being critical of him. My point really is about the Xenforo UI strategy.
1) Xenforo 1 did not have any post reactions feature aside from the ability to do a "Like".

2) The post reactions feature I had installed on Xenforo 1 was supplied by this third party "Post Ratings" addon: https://xenforo.com/community/resources/post-ratings-taking-likes-to-the-next-level.410/

I had further customized that addon in order to come up with the ratings system we had with Xenforo 1.

3) Incidentally, our Top Posts feature (allowing you to sort threads by the highest reaction score posts) was supplied by this third party "Best Posts" addon: https://xenforo.com/community/resources/best-posts-uncover-your-top-content.3264/

4) The developer of both of the aforementioned third party addons, "Post Ratings" and "Top Rated" has effectively disappeared from the Xenforo scene, was very inconsistent with support even before he disappeared, and does not make a Xenforo 2 addon with similar functionality.

5) Xenforo announced end of life for Xenforo 1 (no security patches after the end of the year), forcing me to upgrade to XF 2.

6) Xenforo introduced wider post reactions support with Xenforo v2 and have emulated Facebook's approach to UI and functionality, which makes sense to me.

7) The most fully featured Xenforo 2 addon for customizing reactions functionality and UI is this one: https://xenforo.com/community/resources/content-ratings-for-xf2-1.5600/

I purchased that and have been experimenting with it while asking for feedback here. At present, it does not have the capability to replicate what we had with the XF1 addon. But it can be very close. However, based on some of the feedback I've received in this thread, I am beginning to think that the default XF2 reaction system may be better than what we had before with XF1.

Hopefully that gives everyone some more insight into what aspects of this are driven by Xenforo development vs third party addons vs my decisions as a site owner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom