1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Which Post Processing app do you use, if any?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Brian Mosley, Apr 30, 2010.

1. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Hello everyone,

I'm interested in which format you shoot with most, i.e. raw or jpeg, and which Post Processing application you use, if any?

It would also be interesting which app(s) you use... if you'd like to post below?

I use Olympus Studio (for the Oly colour signature), Capture One PRO 5 (for the fantastic CA correction tool), Bibble Pro v5 (nearing completion - a long time coming!) and Lightzone for Post Processing (superb for relighting images).

I also use Qimage Studio for printing and some scaling / profile conversion.

Cheers

Brian

2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

I use Aperture 3. I used to use RAW a bit more with the E-P2, but now seem to use jpeg mostly with the E-PL1. Granted once Aperture 3 easily supports the E-PL1 I may give it a shot more often if I feel I really need to. Generally love those jpegs.:wink:

Voted for both jpeg and RAW.

3. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Hi Brian, I use Picasa, I shoot in jpeg.
    Thanks for this great thread. Enjoy your weekend.

4. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    shoot only RAW and process in Aperture - thats all

K

5. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    I use mostly the KDE digikam suite under linux ; a touch of The Gimp in the end when I'm working for the web, cinepaint when I have some tricky colour profiles conversion to do.

A special mention to Hugin too, a software toolbox used for stitching (mostly), but also a powerful software that can in fact apply any geometrical transformation you may wish to your image or group of images (think projections for instance).

for example : Picasa Web Albums - m-viet - misc

Composite image of 10 snapshots ; my full version at home is *HUGE*.

I also use picasa, mostly to handle the adminstrative aspects of keeping albums together.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Raw & Photoshop & Lightroom with Nik Plugins in both aps.
    Sometimes I use the art filters cause they are so nice but nit to often.
    I use an Imac & a Macbook and convert everything to DNG.
    Shooter

7. Ian_Holmes

Ian_Holmes Mu-43 Regular

Mar 27, 2010
    Minnesota
    Up until now I've shot jpeg and used iPhoto though I think its about time I started shooting RAW. I've recently purchased pse8 and intend to investigate RAW further

8. ryno

ryno Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 6, 2010
    Minneapolis
    I've always shot raw. With pentax I used lightzone for conversion and processing. Now that I've switched to 4/3, I want lens correction. I just got a copy of elements 8. I really like camera raw that's in elements, I find I don't really need to use the editor much. If I need extra editing I'll have to decide between elements and lightzone. If lightzone did lens correction, I wouldn't have switched.
    Ryan

9. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    When I was doing Canon it was all RAW, processed in LR. I've been trying jpg only on the EP1 with a great amount of success. Very excited. I tried using only iPhoto, but I really missed the local brush in LR, and iPhoto has a known issue with their sharpening not "sticking" on export. So, right now it's jpgs in LR, but I'm still looking for an alternative possibly.

10. kathyh

kathyh Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2010
    Ottawa, Canada
    I shoot raw and use LR with Nik plugins, which I just got and they are great.

11. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    All RAW and Aperture.

The Aperture part was not an educated choice - I had been using iPhoto with my P&S and my mind is pretty well adapted to Apple's conventions for integration, similar tools across applications, and file management, so I figured I'd start there and IF I ever want more I might try something else. But it looks like its gonna take a long time to find all of the nooks and crannies in Aperture, so I'm not sure what would make me switch.

-Ray

12. pete_t

pete_t Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2010
    UK
    Always RAW, always Aperture.
    Almost never go to PhotoShop anymore with images, Aperture does the job.

13. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Lee
    With a PL1 I prefer to shoot RAW/ORF and open in Irfanview, resize/resample to 70%< Then one hit of sharpening and they are good to go. Color is usually dead on. Fast and simple. I can batch process much the same in the free Irfanview also.

14. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    What's the benefit of resizing/resampling to 70%? I have to admit, I see a number of folks talk about resizing/resampling, but I'm pretty ignorant on this. What is the benefit of this approach? (I'm assuming it's more than just file size reduction).

15. f64

f64 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2010
    I shoot raw+jpg, so I voted for raw and jpg.
    Use photoshop for post processing. Currently evaluating lightroom and aperture3.

16. zman m4/3

zman m4/3 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 28, 2010
    Frisco, TX
    Raw + JPEG (until E-PL1 is added to Aperture then raw only). Aperture 3.

• Like Like x 1
  17. tonyjuliano

tonyjuliano Mu-43 Regular

Former Aperture user, current Lightroom user... (with NIK Apps)

RAW all the time

18. EasyEd

EasyEd Mu-43 Regular

Feb 16, 2010
    Hey All,

RAW and JPG and use Artizen HDR for PP. If your ever looking for a program that reads RAW files, has all the standard "stuff" (curves, levels, layers, exposure adjust, hue, filters, etc, etc) combines multiple exposures and has 4 HDR tonemapping algorythms - for less than $50 - Artizen is it.

-Ed-

19. ajramirez

ajramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 16, 2010
    Caguas, Puerto Rico
    Shoot RAW exclusively. ACR and Photoshop CS4.

Regards,

Antonio

20. Jonas B

Jonas B Guest

Apr 23, 2010
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    raw,
    ACR and Photoshop
    a couple of Photoshop plug-ins

sometimes:
    Photoacute, PTGui,

printing: