Which planet are you from?

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by f8andbethere, Aug 8, 2012.

1. f8andbethere

f8andbethere Mu-43 Regular

When you first bought a :43: which camera level were you coming from?

I am curious as to which side of the "tracks" new users came from.
  2. greenarcher02

greenarcher02 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 13, 2012
    Manila, Philippines
    I'm still the only one that came from P&S? lol okay. :)

But it's specifically a camera phone, N900 to be exact. It's in the P&S category, right?

I did a photowalk with it so I'm pretty proud of that sluggish phone with a dead OS. lol.
  3. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Nikon D70S, Nikon D300, battery grip, fairly nice selection of Nikon glass, couple of Nikon Speedlights.

Sold it all (except for one lens) and bought Olympus :43: gear. :2thumbs:
  4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    I was shooting either a Rebel XTI, T1i or 5Dc. Can't remember which.
  5. brianb032

brianb032 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2011
    Before I jumped into micro-four-thirds I was a heavy Olympus 43s and OM user. Owned a E-510, E-620, & an OM-2.
  6. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Hmm. I've gone with 'pro level DSLR', although some might argue the 5D mark II is still prosumer, I think the IQ strength overcome the minor weaknesses ;)
  7. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    I had a Oly 4/3 kit, E5 and 4 SHG lenses, good kit but was too big and heavy in the end so went u4/3 instead and never looked back.

8. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I came from a sony bridge camera. That was and will be my last Sony product:biggrin:
  9. blue

blue Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2010
    I put P&S as this was the camera immediately preceding m43 for me, but really the progression was film SLR, film compact, digital bridge, digital P&S.
  10. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Both sides: Canon G10 and S90, Panasonic LX5; Canon 40D.
  11. Keith

Keith Mu-43 Regular

Jul 16, 2012
    D700 ... though I might add that to date I find the file quality of the little OM-D falls a fair way short of what the Nikon produces.

Which is to be expected I guess!
  12. f8andbethere

f8andbethere Mu-43 Regular

It's interesting that just about the same number of people came from the P&S world as did professional photographers. I will be getting my Panny G3 and 14-45 lens tomorrow. I am looking forward to comparing IQ with my Nikon D3 and D300.
  13. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Canon40D, battery grip, multiple lenses and a Fuji S9100 bridge camera. Sold all of it and went full time :43:. I don't regret it for a moment. :biggrin:
  14. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Canon 50D and 500D + a bunch of mid-range and L series lenses.
  15. Photodan1

Photodan1 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2012
    Nashville, Tennessee, USA
    Canon 30D, 4 lenses, Canon flash etc. I also shoot some professionally, though just part time now. Initially bought an E-PM1 and kit zooms, have since purchased G3, Oly 45, Sigma 19.
  16. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    I clicked more than one response.

I was using a pocket p&s for most travel + outings etc. Had a 4/3's E-520 that I used also for outings (didn't always because of the size- my primary lens was a Sigma 24mm f1.8- which was a FF adaption, and freaking huge) and for art. And used film (120 + 135 + instant) for art, and occasional outings as well.

With µ4/3 I've pretty taken all 3 of those cameras and use my one µ4/3 camera for everything, although I use film still for art- but it's not exclusive anymore. Another thing that changed is I carry my camera everyday- where in the past I wouldn't always, and if I did it was with only 1-2 lenses tops (film + 4/3 camera). Now I carry the E-M5 everyday, and have 4-5 lenses AND have room for my lunch, netbook, kindle etc in my every day bag without breaking my back (too much- I am a pack rat with my bag).
  17. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    I sandwiched my equipment from an LX5 and 400D to a GF1 originally.

Haven't looked back ever since, except I've been eyeing the X100 as a side piece for some time...
  18. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Olympus 4/3 cameras -- E300, then an E-510. I've used the latter, mostly for birding until recently. With the E-M5 in hand, I've put the E-510 up for sale. I liked it; but I don't use it anymore, and there is other gear I want.