1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Which pic has the nicest color?

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by PMCC, Jul 10, 2014.

1. PMCC

PMCC Mu-43 Regular

Feb 18, 2013
    I heard the Panasonic does not have the nicest OOC color but I can make different color profiles for my SilkyPix.

The first pic is the OOC jpeg from the G3 with Zeiss 135mm 3.5 lens, with +2 contrast, standard color and saturation, just resized;
    The second is SilkyPix default;
    The third is prepared by downloading the sample form imaging-resource and tuned to match the 'ideal' Macbeth chart in hue; Ditto for the last but with the Fuji XE-1 OOC jpeg as the target.

I am color blind so I can only ask somebody for help. Which picture has the nicest color? Thanks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Are yu sure you didn't post the same pic, as they all look the same to me.

• Like Like x 3
  3. PMCC

PMCC Mu-43 Regular

Feb 18, 2013
    Unless the Silkypix color mapping tool doesn't work... Should I expect a huge difference?

4. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I haven't used Silkypix for years, so I can't say what it does, but just changing contrast mildly often makes no visual difference. I believe that Panasonic works closely with Silkypix, so I wouldn't be surprised if the OOC JPGs and what Silkypix produces are fairly close.

5. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    The last three look the same to me. I prefer them to the first one as they look less faded.

6. GBarrington

GBarrington Mu-43 Veteran

To me, #3 looks the best. On my screen, the differences are subtle, but very much discernable, and the PC i'm viewing it from is an HP Omni All-in-one with VERY limited screen calibration capabilities. From the responses we've seen on this topic, I would say this is an excellent example of why the internet is a lousy way to display photos! The photographer has no way of knowing what the viewer is being shown!

7. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    i like #2
    the last 2 are too magenta feeling
    id actually prefer something between 1 and 2. a LIL more pop than 1, but still a bit softer than 2.. i think that would feel best for that flower

8. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I like the color of the flower in the second one the best. However, the green in the first one looks better. If you can combine those two somehow...you'd be good I think.

9. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    That's what I thought, but like the OP, I'm also color blind.

10. Itchybiscuit

Itchybiscuit Photon Mangler

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ivor
    IMO, and it IS subjective, #2 gets my vote.

It's a bit more 'poppy' than the first. I just like the more saturated pink of the leaves and the lightening of the stalk.

11. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

# 3 ... no particularly good reason why. On my low gamut monitor no difference but on the "good" monitor some clear differences. I bet prints would be very hard to differentiate.

It is not so much about color as the range of tone (if that makes any sense).

12. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Is this a trick question? Seriously.
    Surely the subject makes any choice impossible, even if the pictures had wildy different colours, which they don't.

Post a photo of a baby or a cloudy blue sky. Easier to choose then!

13. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    1&4 look very similar to me, as do 2&3. I prefer 2&3 for this particular photograph as they seem to be a little more saturated (at least on my monitor)

14. PMCC

PMCC Mu-43 Regular

Feb 18, 2013
    Thanks Everyone :thumbup:. Looks like SilkyPix did a pretty good job by default... I shall get an oly sample and see what I get.

Some landscapes samples

OOC
    [​IMG]

SilkyPix Default
    [​IMG]

Calibrated
    [​IMG]

OOC
    [​IMG]

SilkyPix default
    [​IMG]

Calibrated
    [​IMG]

15. Highlander

Highlander Mu-43 Regular

Mar 17, 2011
    USA, Northeast Coast
    Richard Correale
    Agree with this.

16. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    The differences in the flower shots are very subtle, particularly the difference in colour. I find there is more of a difference in the details in flower, itself. Hard to say which one I prefer more, probably 2,3 or 4... they are fairly similar.

I can see more colour differences in the landscape shots. I have a tendency to preferring the calibrated version in the landscape series.

17. zap

zap Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2012
    uk
    2, 3 & 4 looks the same to me (flower pic)

18. Cpk

Cpk Mu-43 Rookie

May 6, 2014
    Allentown
    Chris Kline
    2 for me but last three are real close