Which pic has the nicest color?

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by PMCC, Jul 10, 2014.

1. PMCC

PMCC Mu-43 Regular

Feb 18, 2013
    I heard the Panasonic does not have the nicest OOC color but I can make different color profiles for my SilkyPix.

The first pic is the OOC jpeg from the G3 with Zeiss 135mm 3.5 lens, with +2 contrast, standard color and saturation, just resized;
    The second is SilkyPix default;
    The third is prepared by downloading the sample form imaging-resource and tuned to match the 'ideal' Macbeth chart in hue; Ditto for the last but with the Fuji XE-1 OOC jpeg as the target.

I am color blind so I can only ask somebody for help. Which picture has the nicest color? Thanks.

2. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Are yu sure you didn't post the same pic, as they all look the same to me.
    • Like Like x 3
  3. PMCC

PMCC Mu-43 Regular

Feb 18, 2013
    Unless the Silkypix color mapping tool doesn't work... Should I expect a huge difference?
  4. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I haven't used Silkypix for years, so I can't say what it does, but just changing contrast mildly often makes no visual difference. I believe that Panasonic works closely with Silkypix, so I wouldn't be surprised if the OOC JPGs and what Silkypix produces are fairly close.
  5. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    The last three look the same to me. I prefer them to the first one as they look less faded.
  6. GBarrington

GBarrington Mu-43 Veteran

To me, #3 looks the best. On my screen, the differences are subtle, but very much discernable, and the PC i'm viewing it from is an HP Omni All-in-one with VERY limited screen calibration capabilities. From the responses we've seen on this topic, I would say this is an excellent example of why the internet is a lousy way to display photos! The photographer has no way of knowing what the viewer is being shown!
  7. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    i like #2
    the last 2 are too magenta feeling
    id actually prefer something between 1 and 2. a LIL more pop than 1, but still a bit softer than 2.. i think that would feel best for that flower
  8. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    I like the color of the flower in the second one the best. However, the green in the first one looks better. If you can combine those two somehow...you'd be good I think.
  9. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    That's what I thought, but like the OP, I'm also color blind.
  10. Itchybiscuit

Itchybiscuit Photon Mangler

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    IMO, and it IS subjective, #2 gets my vote.

It's a bit more 'poppy' than the first. I just like the more saturated pink of the leaves and the lightening of the stalk.
  11. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

# 3 ... no particularly good reason why. On my low gamut monitor no difference but on the "good" monitor some clear differences. I bet prints would be very hard to differentiate.

It is not so much about color as the range of tone (if that makes any sense).
  12. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Is this a trick question? Seriously.
    Surely the subject makes any choice impossible, even if the pictures had wildy different colours, which they don't.

Post a photo of a baby or a cloudy blue sky. Easier to choose then!
  13. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    1&4 look very similar to me, as do 2&3. I prefer 2&3 for this particular photograph as they seem to be a little more saturated (at least on my monitor)
  14. PMCC

PMCC Mu-43 Regular

Feb 18, 2013
    Thanks Everyone :thumbup:. Looks like SilkyPix did a pretty good job by default... I shall get an oly sample and see what I get.

Some landscapes samples

SilkyPix Default

SilkyPix default

15. Highlander

Highlander Mu-43 Regular

Mar 17, 2011
    USA, Northeast Coast
    Richard Correale
    Agree with this.
  16. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    The differences in the flower shots are very subtle, particularly the difference in colour. I find there is more of a difference in the details in flower, itself. Hard to say which one I prefer more, probably 2,3 or 4... they are fairly similar.

I can see more colour differences in the landscape shots. I have a tendency to preferring the calibrated version in the landscape series.
  17. zap

zap Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2012
    2, 3 & 4 looks the same to me (flower pic)
  18. Cpk

Cpk Mu-43 Rookie

May 6, 2014
    Chris Kline
    2 for me but last three are real close