1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Which photo paper?

Discussion in 'Printing' started by neofx19, Jun 25, 2012.

1. neofx19

neofx19 Mu-43 Regular

May 16, 2012
    Vancouver
    Theres a local arts store supplier nearby where I live and I'm trying to decide which manufacturer of photo paper to choose from...? Obviously each company has different types of paper for different scenarios but for the most part I'm looking to stick with one maybe two photo paper companies of whom I'd like to invest in so here are my options...

Canson Infinity Papers
    Hahnemuhle Digital Papers
    Ilford Galerie Inkjet Papers
    Strathmore Digital Papers
    Vita Digital Papers
    Museo Digital Papers

Again obviously each manufacturer has different types of paper, but what type is not my concern at the moment, just which company or two is generally a reputable company when it comes to photo printing specifically black and white, landscape, fine art and wildlife. All for the purpose of display. I plan on printing largely on the following formats...8.5x11, 11x17, 10x12 and 13x19.

2. chip

chip Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2012
    Connecticut, USA
    What kind of printer do you have? I use the Canon Pixma Pro 9000 MKII. I may be upgrading to a pigment printer, but this is what I'm using now.

I print almost exclusively with the Canson Infinity papers. Primarily on Canson's Rag Photographique. I also have Canson's Photogloss Premium RC, which I use on prints that work better on glossy paper than on the Rag.

I really like the Rag Photographique papers. I use the heavier weight (310 gsm) for the 13" x 19" sheets (even when the image is only 9" x 12"). I use the 210 gsm for 8.5 x 11.

I also have Canson's Baryta Photographique, but I don't like it as much. I think it may be better for pigment inks. I like the finish, but I'm just not getting the results I'd like.

I don't have any experience with the other papers, sorry.

Remember, you will need to download Canson's (or any of the other's) ICC profiles for your particular printer to get the best results. Keep that in mind.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I am pretty happ with what I am seeing on Epsin Premium Lustre.

4. saud

saud Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 5, 2012
    I also have Canson's Baryta Photographique, but I don't like it as much. I think it may be better for pigment inks. I like the finish, but I'm just not getting the results I'd like.i think that we should use good and fine paper for printing.and there are many photo papers are available in the market.

5. hanzo

hanzo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 22, 2010
    Chan
    Two of my top choices would be Canson and Ilford. (and maybe hahnemuhle)

6. northshore

northshore New to Mu-43

Sep 30, 2012
    I used the Costco-branded photo paper on my Canon printer and the result is very good.

7. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Anybody used Inkpress papers? From the couple of online reviews I could find they seem good and they are more affordable than some of the other brands. I got my $200 rebate from the Canon PIXMA Pro 9000 today. I plan on buying ink and papers for it with the rebate. Before I do i want to figure out just what papers to get. Inkpress has several sampler packs and I will get those unless a lot of people say they are crap. Thanks.

8. charld

charld New to Mu-43

Jun 24, 2012
    i have been very pleased with

Hahnemuhle and Ilford

9. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Epson Enhanced matte

ilford Gallarie

On Epson 2200 but I do send out to Mpix quite a bit.