1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Which Pentax K-mount Adapter?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by rparmar, Mar 14, 2012.

1. rparmar

rparmar Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Limerick, Ireland
    I posted this on another forum, but never thought to ask the helpful people here -- before now!

A while back I bought a cheap eBay adapter which only locks into place on certain of my K-mount lenses. In particular my FA Limiteds do not lock, and so can easily be rotated off the adapter. Certainly not something I want to have happen!

Can someone point me to a cheap adapter that dependably works? I know there are some, but no-one has so far come up with a name or link.

2. mxlin

mxlin Mu-43 Regular

Oct 6, 2010
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Not quite sure what you mean by "lock" but the link has an adapter can be used with K lenses (newer DA and DA Ltd) that lack of aperture ring, it has a "open - lock" function that controls the aperture. Again, I'm not certain that's what you're looking for.
    Pk to m4/3 adapter with aperture control

3. rparmar

Jun 14, 2011
    Limerick, Ireland
    Ah, no that's not what I meant, but thanks for trying to help! I will be using lenses with their own aperture ring so I don't need something this fancy.

The lock is something to do with the pin on the mount that connects to the adapter and holds it in place. To release the lens there is a small lever on the adapter. I don't understand why this works on some lenses and not others, since they are all the same k-mount after all.

4. harrysue

harrysue Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2011
    Maybe the pin was drilled off center on your adapter. My PK adapter has no name. I can hear the pin snick into the lens when it's rotated into place. The lens can't turn when the pin falls into the hole. I just hope the lever that moves the pin never breaks. Then the lens will never come off.

All I can advise is to try another one.

5. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I recently acquired a K-mount adapter (as part of a package) that is the type that rparmar describes (see pic below):
    51cHQSRFbbL._AA300_.

I haven't yet had a chance to use it, but the little rentention pin lever looks/feels a bit fragile to me. It also seems like it would be easy to inadvertantly nudge.

The RainbowImaging adapter that mxlin links to is for Pentax DA lenses, but the rotating retention system it employs seems like a much more stable way to go. Has anyone seen a K-mount adapter that looks more like this DA adapter?

6. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    I'd maybe give the fotodiox adapter a try - that rainbowimaging one isn't matte inside (you can see the glare in the photo above), which might lead to internal reflections.

I've got 3 myself, the one that controls aperture on DA lenses (a couple places sell them, but I think there is only 1 actual manufacturer), a tilt adapter that I bought used and the standard one I have I bought so long ago I can't recall from where...no help here! I must say that the tilt adapter is pretty nice to use with the 43mm.

7. rparmar

Jun 14, 2011
    Limerick, Ireland
    Paul, I was just looking at a tilt adapter. Knowing that it works with the FA43 is great! Where did you get yours?

8. rparmar

Jun 14, 2011
    Limerick, Ireland
    That would truly suck.

9. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    I got it used, but it looks like the one sold by cam.plus on ebay. Looks like it is better than the other one as it has the degree markings. it also independently rotates to enable the tilt at all angles (though the rotation has distinct slots every 1/8 turn).

10. rparmar

Jun 14, 2011
    Limerick, Ireland
    Summary

For tilt adapters it looks like there are two generic Chinese units. One is as illustrated in eBay ID 200650120313. The second is like ID 370552246226, with the markings 1 to 8. Laur has a review of that one, which is also what Paul is referring to above.

For those wanting a premium solution, Adriano Lolli sells them out of Italy. But the postal system in that country has a far worse record than China (!) unfortunately.

I just placed an order for the unit from cam.plus.