1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Which PEN?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by col902, Oct 5, 2011.

1. col902

col902 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 4, 2011
    Hello, I am new to the world of micro four thirds, and would like to get my first one. . I answered some questions so that you could help me choose my camera better.

What do you like to shoot?
    nature, stuff on vacations, some sports, just a little though

How much studying do you plan to put into it? Do you want the camera to make the decisions or do you want to learn how to make the decisions for yourself?
    i know about camera settings and stuff, so i want to make my own decisions

What kind of lighting conditions are you normally in when you want to take photos?
    daytime, maybe a little lowlight

Any physical constraints? Is size and weight an issue?
    yes, this is the whole reason for micro 4/3

What are your goals? Do you just want to take better pictures of friends and family? Better landscape photos? Better travel photos? Do you think you will print most of your work or just share it on a social networking site like facebook? If you plan to print, how large of prints do you want to make?
    I would like to take this up as a hobby and get better at photography in general, i wont make large prints

so i can get on ebay the e-pl1 for 300, the e-p1 for 310, the e-p2 for 380, and the e-pl2 for 415

which do you think is the best value and camera for what i want to be doing?

thanks for all help!

2. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    epl2, fastest operating of the list, better screen, can use the VF's, flash
    best bang for your buck right now
    then worry about figuring out, and acquiring, the lenses you want/need that suit you

3. col902

col902 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 4, 2011
    the reason i was looking at the e-p1/2 as options is because i love their looks

4. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    E-PL2 is the best value of image quality, controls, etc. right now. The E-P2 looks cooler and is the same price, but its pictures are worse due to the sensor.
    262901 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Digital Camera - Black with 14-42mm II Black Lens
    262921 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Digital Camera - White with 14-42mm II Silver Lens
    262911 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Digital Camera - Silver with 14-42mm II Silver Lens

If you really like the E-P2, it still takes fine pictures, and has superior controls. Get yourself a kit with the VF-2 finder from here, depending on the lens that you want with it.
    Olympus Digital SLR Cameras | DSLR

5. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
  6. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Getting a little deja vu here.... :biggrin:

7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I agree with everyone else - go for the E-PL2! It's better than the others in every type of performance, even if the E-P1 and E-P2 have slightly better build (and even that is arguable, as they don't have a great grip like the E-PL2, nor are they as solid in the hinges).