Which parameter(s) interests you most?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by drewbot, Mar 6, 2012.

1. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    I just recently had a discussion with some friends about the photos I share here and there. Each of them come from different walks of life - a couple photogs, and many non-photogs.

Flipping through some recent photos from my trip, each of them had different comments about what stood out to them in each photo.

One friend would say, "wow, look at that blur effect! cool!". In the back of my head, I'm saying, "yes, that was shot wide open". Or one of them would say, "wow, those buildings are sharp". Photo enthusiast or non-enthusiast alike, everyone looks for different things.

My question is: when you browse these image galleries, or your favourite image sharing resource, what do YOU look for the most?

Being a gear forum, I'd just like to see where the responses lie.

Some people are obsessed with bokeh rendering.
    Some people are obsessed with sharpness.
    Some people are obsessed with dynamic range.
    Some people are obsessed with unique framing.

Try and pick ONE of the options that suits YOU the MOST. If I left one out, discuss below! I know it may be difficult to choose, but let's see where we end up.
  2. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Gotta go with 17. Probably 1 or 8 or 13 vying for second place.
  3. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Without good light, none of the others are going to save a poor image.

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    My thoughts as well, Gordon.
  5. nseika

nseika Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2010
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Assuming the pictures are decent, the background. "Where is this ?" "What is this person doing ?" "Great job on finding this place" "What's happening there ?"
    even mundane scene from unfamiliar place is more interesting than elaborate pics of place I'm used to.

A local photo group made me tired of b&w or street pics with signboards/symbols though, so colour is preferred :D
  6. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 18, 2011
    None of that stuff. What matters is the emotional impact the image has, how it draws you in and affects you. Everything on that list is just a means to an end, how much each matters depends on the individual image.
  7. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I voted for "sucks," but only because there is no one thing that's most important. A good image needs to satisfy multiple criteria. For example, good contrast is worthless if the colors suck, and generally vice versa.