Which pancake for my Ep-1?

tobeeornot

Mu-43 Rookie
Hey all,

I am thinking about getting a pancake for my EP-1.

I see on some forums that the LUMIX 20mm f1.7 PANCAKE LENS is a good option and slightly quicker with AF than the Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Lens.

Any thoughts?

Iansky

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I have the Pany 20mm and it is an incredible lens and super fast at f1.7.

I am now eagerly waiting to see when and how much the soon to be released 14mm f2.8 from Panasonic will be.

You can see a selection of images taken with the 20mm at my blogsite below.

thearne3

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I did a lot or research before getting the Oly 17mm, based primarily on price (roughly half the cost of the Pany). I like the wider FOV and haven't regretted the higher f-stop. Nor have I had any problems with CA distortion - so far. That said, if price is no object and FOV isn't an issue for you, then the Pany is universally considered the sharper and 'cleaner' lens - especially on a Pany body, which corrects for CA.

You probably can't go wrong with either.

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
I have the 17 and the 20. There is a marked difference between the FOV, (Field Of View) between the 2 lenses.
I like both. The 20 is faster especially in low light. The 17 is very nice all around and especially on the street.
The 20 is somewhat sharper. The 17 has beautiful contrast and color.
I don't really see that much difference in AF between the 2. I kinda think that those that do...have wishful thinking...

So, really it becomes how YOU SEE. The fov should be the decision factor.
By the way, I use the Pen 1 and also the Pen2.

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus
:thiagree:

If I could only have one, it would be the 20mm f1.7 for the dof flexibility and IQ... but I prefer the fov of the 17mm f2.8

Cheers

Brian

tobeeornot

Mu-43 Rookie
Thanks a lot guys. Your feedback is most appreciated!! Plenty of food for thought there!

SimplyEd

Mu-43 Regular
Same dilemma here... I only have limited funds... If I will get the oly 17mm I will use it mainly for my PAD and will get adapters for my canon fd lenses and I will also be able to get some strobes or cheap lights for videos. On the otherhand, the panny alone.

Iansky

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Hey Toobeornot good luck with the decision the the lens - whichever you choose I am sure you will not be dissapointed as both are very good from top notch manufacturers.

Incidentally,

Has anyone heard / read any further about the intended Panasonic 14mm f2.8??

scantron

Mu-43 Regular
I have a Panasonic 20mm on the way after much deliberation. The 1.7 aperture is what did it for me, plus the rave reviews about image quality.
The 17mm fov would be great (and the price!), but I'm used to much faster lenses from my DSLR experience.

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
I have a Panasonic 20mm on the way after much deliberation. The 1.7 aperture is what did it for me, plus the rave reviews about image quality.
The 17mm fov would be great (and the price!), but I'm used to much faster lenses from my DSLR experience.

You my friend are in for a shock.
The 20 is not what it's cracked up to be!
It's more! You will find as others, it's hard to take off the camera.
Enjoy, you made a great buy....

scantron

Mu-43 Regular
You my friend are in for a shock.
The 20 is not what it's cracked up to be!
It's more! You will find as others, it's hard to take off the camera.
Enjoy, you made a great buy....

That's great to hear because this morning I was sweating a bit about spending that much!
I did get a good deal on the 'Bay for a barely used one, but it was still a decent amount more than the 17mm.

C'mon UPS!

mauve

Mu-43 All-Pro
Sometimes I wish I could live in the USA. I bought the 20 mm for a bargain price of 329 € new (that's with 19.6% VAT included), but I can't find any good deal on a 17 mm from a reputable source in France. My brick & mortar shop quoted it at 299 €, and after reviewing some web merchants, many were *higher* and just one under at 289 €, but with +5 € for delivery which isn't interesting for me.

After perusing US shops, I saw prices as low as 230 $, which is a lot less, but if I order, shipping costs + french VAT will offset the benefit.

I'm frustrated.

mauve

Mu-43 All-Pro
Mauve,
Would you still pay VAT if the lens was sent as a gift from me your cousin in the US?

That would be a flicking-the-coin game. Border guards are not as stupid as they look, and even if they don't control everything, there's always a chance they do.

Anyway, I'm now more and more considering saving for the Pany 14mm because I've always preferred 28mm focals in 24x36, so I'll wait a bit more.

But thanks for the idea.

Latest threads

Top Bottom