1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Which Panasonic Lumix CSC camera??

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by ja9_c, Feb 10, 2014.

1. ja9_c

ja9_c New to Mu-43

Aug 14, 2012
    I'm looking to upgrade from the Lumix GF2 but confused by the range of CSC cameras on offer.

I want to stick with M43 Lumix CSC as I already have a number to lenses however looking for something more towards the DLSR side of the scope but not as bulky.

I am by no means a professional but would like a camera I can develop with. Video not necessary/priority

So which one would you recommend?

GF5
    GX7
    G1
    GH4
    G6
    GM1

Although I have listed the newest model above I am happy to go for an older version...

Thanks in advance!

2. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
  3. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    Rafael
    Know you said you were looking for a DSLR side of things, but since you included the GX7 in the list, that'd receive my vote based on everything I've read about the camera. FWIW, I have the GM1 and love it as a second tiny take-anywhere camera.

4. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    Why not GH3 (if you don't need 4K)? I bought a new GH3 for 900€. They are going cheaper now. Maybe they even will fall more in price now with the GH4 coming?

5. Itchybiscuit

Itchybiscuit Photon Mangler

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ivor
    I have both the GF1 and the GF5 - money was a big consideration for me. I use the GF5 with the kit 14 - 42mm and all my legacy glass on my GF1. There are differences between the two - touch screen, rotating mode/menu dial and avchd/mpeg video at a higher resolution than the GF1. It's smaller too.

Given the choice and the funds (you listed some pricey wee beasties) I'd concur and go with the GX7. You're probably well acquainted with your GF2 so it might be the best one to use with your old lenses while you fathom out the GX7. The GF5 is nice but it's relatively old (and cheap, hooray!) compared with the latest technology. You still awake? :wink:

6. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    You listed cameras ranging in price from $200 to $2,000 (including older versions). That's an odd way to narrow down purchase decisions? What are you actually thinking of spending?

One other thing I suggest: go to a store and try all the models you are contemplating in your hand, with a small and a large lens mounted. Surprisingly, you will probably find some of them "just don't feel right for you". Don't ignore this feeling. Although you might adapt to hand positions for a new body shape, and you need to allow for that adaptation, you need to make a judgement call about cameras that aren't right for you, in the hand.

Window-shopping by feature lists is fraught with danger. You hold the camera in your hand for every single shot, and often between shots too, but the various features only get used from time to time.

• Like Like x 1
  7. greenarcher02

greenarcher02 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 13, 2012
    Manila, Philippines
    In terms of scope and bulk (or lack thereof), I'd say a GX7. It has the closest footprint to a GF2 but with DSLR-like controls, including the EVF. G6 comes second if you're willing to accept slight bulkiness and won't mind the added humps.

8. ja9_c

ja9_c New to Mu-43

Aug 14, 2012
    Thanks all!! In answer to the question on price I am based in the UK so have a budget of up to £400...

GX7 seems to be getting the most votes so will do some more research.

If size / bulkiness was not an issue how would you compare the GX7 with the G5 or G6?

9. sigamy

sigamy Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2012
    You should go to a store and play with GX7 vs G5/G6. See which ergonomics you like better.

10. D MATIC

D MATIC Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2012
    When you say "towards DSLR side" do you mean form factor? ergonomics and larger size? image quality? options, like using an evf and hot shoe remote flash at the same time?

Do you use an EVF with the GF2? If so, i'd vote for GX7. I had a GF2 and liked it a lot except for the fact that it didn't have a mode dial. It might also be worth mentioning that the new touch screens for the Lumix cameras are a lot better and behave like the ones on the iPhone. I know on the GF2, you have to press hard or use you nail on the screen for it to work effectively.

Even tho it seems like the GF2 wasn't so popular, I feel like it was one of the best cameras in terms of the size to image quality ratio. And in a strange way, I feel that the lack of a mode dial and full touchscreen control was very forward thinking to match a very forward system (m43). I wished they kept that size in the newer models. GX1/GX7 are larger and the GM1 is much smaller. I find GF's after GF2 to be silly.

I see you mention the GM1. Tho, this is moving away from DSLR ergonomics, I find it to be my favorite camera right now. It's amazingly small and it really makes you rethink cameras as a whole. Also, any of the newer cameras like the GX7/GM1 have new sensors and at ISO 800, it will blow away the GF2 at ISO 800 (if your a pixel peeper that is)

11. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    Wise words indeed!

12. val

val Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2013
    Australia
    William
    I have the GX7 and it is bloody great but I recommend the GM1 aswell.