Which Panasonic GH2 kit should I go with?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by lsquare, Jul 26, 2011.

1. lsquare

lsquare New to Mu-43

Jul 26, 2011
    I intend to buy a Panasonic GH2 by the end of this week. I'm now stuck and I can't figure out which route to go with.
    Right now I'm shooting with a Panasonic GF1 with a Panasonic 7-14mm f/4 lens. I find that it can be too short and boring to always shoot ultra wide. I intend to buy a GH2 to complement that setup. I'm in the UK at the moment, but because I'm not a UK citizen, I fully intend to get my VAT refund when I leave Europe so what I pay for the GH2 now should be competitive with what it would be in the US. I still got 5.5 weeks left in the UK so I don't want to waste my opportunity and buy the camera back home.

It's going to be either the GH2 with 14-42mm lens and or the GH2 with 14-140mm lens. I think the 14-42mm lens should be good enough for the majority of my shots, but I think there will be cases in which it might not be. The problem is that I'm not sure how the GH2 with 14-140mm lens will be price competitive with US pricing when factoring the VAT refund. I also recalled reading that the 14-140mm lens tends to get a bit soft near the telephoto range.

So if you are in my situation, which kit would you go with? Let's keep in mind that I'm mainly into travel photography and taking the occasional snapshot.
  2. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    IF I went with the GH-2 I'd go with the 14-140 and complement it with a 20mm f1.7 for low light shooting and smaller profile purposes. I just don't think the 14-42 would do it justice. Plus in the package they price it so reasonably compared to having to buy it separately. Just go for it......
  3. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    From 14-42mm, the 14-140mm is quite a bit sharper than the 14-42mm.
    From 42-140mm, the 14-42mm ... uh ... falls a little short of the 14-140. :wink:

Seriously, if you have the cash and think you'll want to shoot beyond 42mm at all, then go with the 14-140mm kit. As dcisive, the extra cost is much less than what you'll have to pay if you decide you want it down the road. The 14-140mm was built for the GH series.
  4. Tom Swaman

Tom Swaman Mu-43 Veteran

Lumix DMC-GH2H. If you do not, you will end up buying the kit lens separately as this fits what you want.

5. lannes

lannes Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2011
    Perth, Australia
    I'd go with the 14-140mm as well for IQ, for me I feel the extra weight and diameter of the lens also helps with the handling.
  6. dayou14

dayou14 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2011

I have the GH2 and both the 14-45(predecessor to 14-42), and 14-140. I also have the 20mm 1.7, which is semi-permanently attached to my camera as my walk around lens. When I want to shoot at a range beyond the 20mm, I automatically reach for the 14-140. The 14-45 gets no play. Actually, I'm thinking of selling it. The 14-140 is not much larger than 14-45 fully retracted, so there's no point in carrying the 14-45.

My experience would be to go with the 14-140.
  7. RoyB

RoyB New to Mu-43

Jul 25, 2011
    Hi Isquare,
    I use the GH2 with a 14-140.That is my most used lense as I find it a brilliant lense to use. It has a great range and is so natural 'in the hand' to use. I have the 14-42 lense, but to be honest I have not yet used it.
  8. brunerww

Mar 5, 2011
    Hi Isquare,

Another vote for the 14-140. In addition to the increased zoom range, you'll get quieter autofocus, metal instead of plastic construction and a mega-o.i.s. on-off switch.

A few cautions, though, on buying a UK GH2 and bringing it back to the US. If you're not already aware, UK GH2s differ from the US version in several respects:

First, unhacked EU GH2s have a 29 minute 59 second video clip duration limit, US cameras do not.

Second, video frame rates for the UK camera are 24p and 50i instead of the US camera's 24p and 60i (this may or may not make a difference to you).

Third, video from UK cameras is encoded in PAL instead of NTSC. Not a problem for online distribution, but a possible problem if you plan to show your videos on TV.

As a still camera, however, the UK version is exactly the same as the US version.

Hope this is helpful.

Hybrid Camera Revolution
  9. moodgorning

moodgorning New to Mu-43

May 1, 2011
    I just (two weeks ago) bought the 14-140 +GH2 kit and I'm super happy with it. add a 20mm and you have a pretty great and flexible lightweight set. although the 14-140 isn't performing too good in low light, the gh2's ability to shoot good pictures even at iso 1600 and the OIS compensate this most of the time.
    definetly go for the 14-140 if you need the 14-42 later, you can probably find a used cheap one around pretty easy. Although what I've heard so far the 14-42 isn't that good.
  10. mqavila

mqavila Mu-43 Regular

+1 on this. I'm in exactly in the same situation. Am also thinking of selling my 14-45mm because it doesn't get used at all - I switch between the 14-140mm and the 20mm, depending on the situation.