Which only lens?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by snkenai, Apr 23, 2012.

1. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    To be used on the E-p2:

I have several adapted lenses for special use, but want to buy an auto focus lens, for every day carry. To be used for family, church events as well as some outdoor work.
    Pana 14-45mm

So? Here are my thoughts. I have had the 14-45, and it is a good lens, but a bit slow for low light, without flash. I also don't prefer zoom lenses, although I have not written it off. I am leaning toward the 20mm although, if I could, I'd have it and 45mm.
    I am only going to buy one at this time. And yes, size does matter.

So, your collective thoughts please?
  2. supermaxv

supermaxv Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 20, 2011
    The 45mm will be too long if it's your only lens. Either the zoom or the 20mm.
  3. creezalird

creezalird Mu-43 Regular

Oct 17, 2011
    20mm is like a must for almost all mu43 users ( considering u dont want to spend more on PL25mm )

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk
    • Like Like x 1
  4. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    The 20mm f/1.7 has been all but glued to my camera since I got it a month or so ago -- my old 14-42 kit lens is now collecting dust.

Others here have raved about the Oly 45mm, but if you can only have ONE, I'd stick with the 20mm since that focal length is just more generally useful.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. The Minimalist

The Minimalist Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 19, 2011
    I have both, but if I can only have one it will be the 20mm as it is a more of an allround lens. I love the 45mm, but there are times I need wider, but space won't allow me to walk backwards.
    Although the Oly 45 is nearly twice as long as the Pana 20, it weighs roughly the same and it's still a small lens.
  6. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    It seems the 20 is the overwhelming choice. I was leaning that way. Thanks for the vote!
  7. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    I'm completely frustrated with my 14-140's largest aperture of f/4. My next lens is the 20/1.7
  8. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    I'll agree with everyone else: 20mm f/1.7.

I'd also add: the 20mm + the 14-45mm would be my ideal 2-lens setup too.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    25mm f1.4 (Panasonic Leica Summilux DG) - superb all purpose with standard focal length.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yeah, I know what you mean. When my lens isn't big enough, I also have trouble getting the ladies to shoot with me.

They say size doesn't matter, but when you point a dinky little pancake at them they act all offended.
    • Like Like x 5
  11. slith

slith Mu-43 Regular

Apr 4, 2012
    Dublin, Ireland

And back to the subject... I'd go for the 20mm if those were my choices. But since they aren't, I'd save for the 25mm ;)
  12. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    If I could have only one lens it would be the 20/1.7 because I very much like the 40mm FOV.
  13. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    I have no doubt the 25mm is a superb lens--better, even, than the 20mm--but it's big. In a small kit I'd always choose the 20mm because I could then have a truly tiny, pocketable camera when I want it.

In a larger kit, where I might own the 17mm or 14mm to serve this purpose, I think the 25mm would be a great choice. But not, IMO, for a small kit.

Of course it depends on how much emphasis you place on size. To me, the ability to make my camera + lens incredibly tiny (truly pocketable) is a big advantage of m43.
  14. emirabal

emirabal Mu-43 Regular

Just get the 20mm, one way or the other, you wont be disappointed.

As a side note i would also love the panny 14-42mm, that is a nice piece.
  15. ripleys baby

ripleys baby Straw clutcher

Aug 10, 2011
  16. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    20 1.7, maybe the 14 2.5 if you are getting the 45 1.8 as well later on.
  17. scottyboy

scottyboy Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2011
    mercer county,OHIO
    1 prime i would take my 20mm. 1 lens i would take my oly.9 -18mm ,its actually the size of 2, 14mm lenses stacked on each other,same diameter,same height when closed. i really like the 9- 18.
  18. Pim

Pim Mu-43 Regular

Yes, the 20mm is an excellent lens, and one I always carry with me and prefer to use if and when possible. however if I had to carry just one lens I would go for a kitzoom. They typically give you moderate wide angle, standard and moderate tele, making them ideal for a light and compact one lens combo. It is simply not always possible to move closer to or further away from a subject, so a little flexibility in the lens is not a bad thing in my opinion.

Since they are of course not that fast I commited adultery recently and purchased a NEX 5N with the kit lens, exactly for that purpose of having a decent walk around combo. The Sony kitlens is just as fast (or slow) as the Oly or Panny kitlenses, but of course the APS-C sensor gives me one or two stops extra on the ISO, so this is a pretty good compromise, and I find the Sony lens decent enough for my needs.

I will definitely not abandon M4/3 gear, the NEX system simply is not there yet (no UWA for instance, no small telezooms), but am quite happy with this second option.

As an illustration some pictures I took with the NEX and the 18-55 kitlens yesterday, and I promise these will be the only ones I post from this camera, this is not the NEX forum after all...:wink:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
  19. Nameer

Nameer Mu-43 Regular

Feb 2, 2012
    The 25 is always my first choice lens,however if I need something pocketable I go for the 20.
  20. Minniesmum

Minniesmum Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    LOL Ned....;)