which one

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by kstano83, Nov 23, 2011.

1. kstano83

kstano83 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 23, 2011
    Slovakia
    Hey guys,

I need to upgrade my compact camera and I want it to be a mirrorless one.
    My requirements: I want the camera to be fast, good at high ISO (as I don't like using flash much,especially indoors), ironically it has to have flash-just in case :) and quick access to settings...I'm not any keen on FULL HD video.

First I was thinking of getting the cheapest one - E-PL1 for $345 (love the retro look). What I am kinda missing is a lack of any wheel controller. Isn't setting the camera annoying without it? Or I'm just too spoiled? Some people say that that camera is slow and that 1/2000 sec. is just not enough. True?

I'd like to get E-PL2 for $480 most of all, but those red dots it makes when shooting scenes with too much light just scared me...is there a way to deal with this problem? Will the E-PL2 I get there days have this issue as well?

E-PM1 seems great but costs $550 and I find the settings difficult...

I want something which will stick with me for a long time. Is it worth pay more or I should get the E-PL1? Will there be any performance difference comparing E-PL1 with E-PL2, or E-PM1?

Oh, and I know it is just a matter of a lense, but I like to shoot macro - insects, people at streets, family and portraits with nice blur background.

What do you recommend, please?

2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    EPM1 is much faster and more responsive. It has less buttons though.

The EPL1 and EPL2 I think have similar control layout. I'm not a fan of the EPL1, but I understand your issue with the EPL2. I have one, and have no red dot issues -- I don't know why.

I'd vote for the EPM1 (mine arrives Friday :)

Do you have a store where you can touch/handle the EPM1?

3. VinVin

VinVin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 7, 2010
    GTA, Canada
    Kevin
    From what I hear, the EPM1 is performance-wise, the same as the EP3 and EPL3 so overall I would think this would be the best buy unless you need to connect something to the hotshoe and flash together since the PM1 does not have built in flash but comes with one that fits into the hotshoe. Controls shouldn't be too big a problem if you have the Super Control Panel on with the PM1, that makes it so much easier to control!

I bought my girlfriend an EPL2 and she uses that with no problems, she says she loves it.

Things that were improved between the EPL1 and EPL2 iirc are:

up to 1/4000 sec as opposed to 1/2000 sec
    you can use a cable release on the PL2 and not the PL1
    you get at least one dial with the PL2
    PL1 is not Penpal compatible whereas PL2 is
    Larger Screen Higher Res

I have a cousin with the PL1 and he loves it too but as he said given the chance he would upgrade from it.

In the end it really is up to your own choice.

4. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    hmmm..compact (I assume that means something like the Panasonic GH2 is out) good at high ISO, has a flash, control wheel...well, a kit lens on any of the compact m43 cameras is going to limit your low light shooting so you'd probably want to have a nice fast lens to go with like the Panasonic 20/1.7.

If it were me and that was my set of criteria (and taking into consideration the ones you've already mentioned) I would start my search at the Olympus E-PL2 and the Panasonic GF2. They're both good bang for the buck and terrific cameras. The newer Olympus cameras like the E-PL3 and E-PM1 lack a flash and the Panasonic GF3 lacks a thumbwheel.

5. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011

The EPL1 is fine. It isn't fast, but it also doesn't feel slow. Control actually isn't much of an issue TBH, it works. I use A-priority and the buttons are just fine for changing settings or doing exposure compensation. It works a lot better than I expected it to. The Olympus Super Control Panel is excellent.

Look for a better price on another camera though, like the EPL2 for $400

The EPL1 will give you, in the end, about hte same image quality as any other camera except for the G3. I'm planning on upgrading to something better when it exists, which is why I got the cheapest current generation camera I could find, the EPL1 for $299.

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The E-PL2 is what I'd go with. I've not heard nor experienced anything to do with this red dot issue? I've had tens of thousands of photos on mine, and shoot mostly high key. Never seen this red dot you speak of. If that's the only thing holding you back from an E-PL2, I'm sure it'll be a non-issue. ;)

7. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    take a picture of hte sun

8. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
  9. kstano83

kstano83 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 23, 2011
    Slovakia
  10. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    good at high ISO on a budget has to be the G3.

11. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    The "red dot issue" is a non-issue for the vast majority of people and circumstances. How often do you really plan to photograph the sun straight on? DPReview forums can drive you crazy if you let them. I wouldn't let it affect your decision.

12. kstano83

kstano83 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 23, 2011
    Slovakia
    G3 is almost $700 in my country :smile: does not fit into my budget :biggrin:

13. John M Flores

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    then GH1.

14. kstano83

kstano83 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 23, 2011
    Slovakia
    even more expensive....and big and ugly, sorry :smile:

15. John M Flores

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    I got one for $299. And who cares that it's ugly, as long as it takes good photos

16. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    When I was shopping, I found the Panasonic GF1 to be much quicker and more responsive than the EPL1. They come up for sale used pretty regularly.

X3 for the G3, but if that's out of your budget, the EPM would be next best, followed by the EPL2

17. kstano83

kstano83 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 23, 2011
    Slovakia
    The G3 and GH1 are too expensive for me. I can get it cheaper in abroad, but the shipping price is insane, so the final price is about the same.
    I wish I had a chance to hold the PM1 in my hands to see how it operates...If not, than I will probably stick to the PL2.

18. Red Dot Issue

First, it isn't an issue, just an example of flare. I have noticed it once on my E-PL1, it actually improved a dull image!
    I wouldn't bother about it. I haven't examined all the differences between the GF's and E-PL's minutely, but I understand that the second gen 14-42(MSC) kit lens with the PL2 & 3 is way better than the crappy version on my PL1.
    Why don't I know all the minute differences? Because I won't be upgrading until I get a built in EVF on a PEN. Besides, the PL1 is more capable than I am
    anyway!

19. kstano83

kstano83 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 23, 2011
    Slovakia
    Guys from all I have read (on this forum especially) I'm kinda hesitating if the 4/3 camera will be the right choice for me...the small range of lenses is bothering me... I certainly can't afford to buy original lenses so I'm limited to adapted ones at ebay...I love bokeh photos and want to specialize on this kind of photography. Even if any lens can be mounted to 4/3s using adapters, don't you just miss the AF on these photos? Or I'm wrong and the AF just doesn't go together with bokeh photography? Also there are many choices for cheep macro extentions, tubes etc. but will I be able to control the DOF in macro photography using (inexpensive) adapted lenses? If not, the macro kinda looses it's magic... Considering the zoom range, I think I will be happy with the set I will get with the camera 14-42mm so no need for any extra zoom lens.

So do you think I'm on the right track with a 4/3 camera?

20. VinVin

VinVin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 7, 2010
    GTA, Canada
    Kevin
    The lack of af really doesnt't bother me with legacy lenses, and if you want to do bokeh based photog, most of ur subjects won't be moving and you have time to mf. So no, in your case i really don't see the lack of af being a problem.