1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Which one would you keep? G1 or GF5?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by medavid2, Apr 4, 2013.

1. medavid2

medavid2 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 17, 2013
    Background:

My P&S camera was dying and I decided to go m43 after much research and jumped on a great deal for a new GF5 with the 14-42mm power zoom lens. My only other non-P&S camera was my Canon XT that I played around with a little ages ago. I bought the 14mm pancake lens from a great member on this forum and plan on eventually building my kit to include the 25mm and oly 45mm. But for the next couple of months, I plan on using the 14mm and the kit zoom.

I read many good things about the 14-45mm kit lens and would probably prefer to use it over the 14-42mm power zoom lens (purely based on what I have read). When I saw a great deal on amazon for a like new Panasonic G1 with the 14-45mm lens, I jumped on it immediately.

Here's my dilema:

I'm currently deployed in Afghanistan and the GF5 and power zoom lens are already on their way to me. I shipped the G1 and 14-45mm lens to a good friend of mine who is a DSLR enthusiast because amazon.com cannot ship the camera kit straight to me. I had originally wanted a GX1 but jumped on the GF5 because of the great deal.

I only want to keep the GF5 or the G1. I'm trying to make the decision now so that my friend can help me sell the G1 if I decide to go with the GF5 (this would enable me to purchase another lens quicker). I'm not too worried about size, both are compact enough for me. I'm looking to shoot the beautiful mountains around here and I also plan on taking the camera with me on a month long backpacking trip throughout Europe after I redeploy.

If you had to choose between the GF5 and the G1, which one would you choose and why?

2. PENasonic

PENasonic Mu-43 Regular

I'd say the G1 because of the EVF.

3. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    First question is: Do you shoot (or do you intend to shoot) video? If so, then the G1 is out.

After that it mostly a matter of size and ergonomics. Despite the fact that the G1 is about 3 1/2 years older than the GF5 their overall performance (image-wise) is going to be quite similar. The GF5 may have a slight advantage in high ISO, but that difference is probably pretty negligible.

Do you want/need a viewfinder? Do you want an articulated display? Can you live with the larger size/weight? Do you want to use a hot-shoe flash? If so, then the G1 is going to be the choice.

Do you want a touchscreen? Do you want to use "Creative Control" modes? Do you want something that is pocketable? Then go with the GF5.

My guess, based on the fact that you chose the 14-45 over the 14-42 PZ is that portability/size is not at the top of your list, so I would think that (provided you want to shoot stills only) the G1 is going to fit your needs better. If it were me, I would consider selling them both and picking up a GX1.

4. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    I have a soft spot for the G1. Shot a lot with it and loved it and have it still but now converted to IR. I like the form factor a lot. The GF5 to my mind is rather stripped down with the goal of making it very small (which it sure is). Sounds like you don't care very much about the size - so on that point I'd lean towards the G1.

As mentioned earlier, remember there is no video at all on the G1. I never shoot video so that was fine with me, but be aware of the difference.

As far as IQ, especially if you shoot RAW, the cameras are practically identical. For JPEG you'll probably see slightly better high ISO performance from the GF5 - no idea if it would be a significant difference.

So if video or super small is important to you, the GF5. Otherwise I would personally choose the G1. EVF, articulating LCD and external controls make the G1 much more useful to me. I had a Canon XT as well, and I honestly prefer the G1 handling to that.

Good luck in your decision! Really, either kit is going to be able to get you some great pictures. I know it is probably a ways off, but please share some of your images when you get back and have the time.

5. sinclair

sinclair Mu-43 Veteran

I know nothing about the G1, but I do have a GF5 (Steal of a deal on Newegg.) and I love shooting with it. I thought I'd miss the viewfinder coming from a 35mm SLR, but I guess it's been long enough since I shot with it it wasn't hard to adjust. The one thing I do miss is the hot shoe. The on board flash is okay at best, but I have a nice dual head flash with one of the heads that pivot that I can't use now to light scenes, which has required me to learn a new way to shoot indoors. If you really wanted a GX1, then the suggestion to sell both and get it seems like a good one. But the short of it is I am very happy to have the GF5.

6. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    EVF.
    A viewfinder is essential for me to enjoy photography.
    I can use an LCD just fine, but don't enjoy it.
    I'd keep my G1.
    Your eyes are not my eyes : you might prefer the GF5 ...

7. kissel

kissel Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 5, 2012
    Memphis, TN
    Kostya
    I'd sell both and grab a G5. But since it might not be the option for TC, I'd prefer G1 over GF5. EVF would be very much helpful in Afghanistan.

8. medavid2

medavid2 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 17, 2013
    Thank you all for the input. Everyone has brought up some great points. One of those was the EVF on the G1. I'm been used to a P&S without an EVF for a while, but an EVF would definitely be beneficial for me to play with and learn from. Since the IQ of the G1 and GF5 are similar under good lighting, and I don't plan on shooting too much under low light conditions (I will not have a tripod with me), I think that I'm going to go with the general consensus and go with the G1. I sell both and upgrade to the GX1 or G5, but outbound shipping is not readily available for me at the moment. The GF5 also has higher resale value so I'll use the G1 exclusively and decide when I get back whether or not I want to keep the G1.