Which one with the best IQ - E-M10, E-M5 II or E-M1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by j.a.r.o., May 15, 2015.

1. j.a.r.o.

j.a.r.o. New to Mu-43

Apr 10, 2015
    Hello friends! My friend wants to buy an OMD camera. He has asked me which one (from OMD) has the best picture quality. I have only M10 so I didn´t give some relevant advice to him. Could you advise him, please?

2. cputeq

cputeq Mu-43 Regular

Jul 27, 2012
    Albuquerque, NM
    Jeremy
    Base IQ is nigh indistinguishable. EM5 II has high res mode, though, and that can make a noticeable difference, even when down scaled to 16MP.

3. j.a.r.o.

j.a.r.o. New to Mu-43

Apr 10, 2015
    But 40MPx is only for photo of static objects (scenes), no?

4. cputeq

cputeq Mu-43 Regular

Jul 27, 2012
    Albuquerque, NM
    Jeremy
    Correct, but at least it has this capability when desired and able ;), as opposed to nothing at all.

• Like Like x 1
  5. cputeq

cputeq Mu-43 Regular

Jul 27, 2012
    Albuquerque, NM
    Jeremy
    In any normal shooting situation I would be more concerned with ergonomics. Some EM1 shooters really dislike how cramped and small the EM5 feels (especially without addin grip).

I like the EM1 (bare) much more than the EM5 (bare).

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    With the same photographer behind all 3 OMD cameras, the results will be pretty much the same.

Instead of image quality your friend should be looking at the features, ergonomics, UI, etc.

Having owned the EM1 and the EM5 II, I definitely prefer the EM5 II for it's slightly smaller form factor and better (to me) Fn button placements, quieter shutter sound and appreciate the hi-rez mode as well as the better IBIS. For me, I shoot small primes only and I find the EM1's grip to be gratuitous. I do however prefer the EM1's tilt screen over the fully articulating one on the EM5 II.

Last edited: May 15, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    No real life difference regarding the sensors (lab comparisons can measure a few small differences but not a clear winner). The same is true for E-PL7 and, approximately, for the E-PL6, E-PL5, E-PM2 and E-P5 (same sensor, older TruePic VI processor).

There are other differences that can potentially lead to different IQ in specific situations. For example five-axis IBIS (E-M1, E-M5 I and II) vs three-axis (E-M10). And the E-M5 II has the best IBIS right now. Different AF implementation should give a little advantage to the E-M1 in action/sports situations. Weather-sealing is another difference (all but the E-M10). And the pop-up flash of the E-M10 is another one. And having the camera in the pocket rather than in the drawer usually gives better IQ :)

Lens choices and technique are going to affect IQ a lot more then sensors of comparable size. So saving money on the body and investing on lenses will give IQ advantages.
    The different kit options (14-42, 12-40 or 14-150) can also be a significant factor.

• Like Like x 2
  8. j.a.r.o.

j.a.r.o. New to Mu-43

Apr 10, 2015
    Thank you for very well answer. I think the same.

9. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    The question really comes down to IQ per dollar. If he has $800 to spend the answer may be something like a used E-M5 + 12-50 + 25/1.8. If he has $3000 to spend an E-M5II + 12-40/2.8 + 75/1.8 might be a better choice. :)

The great thing about m4/3s is you can get very, very good image quality without spending a ton of money.

• Like Like x 1
  10. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

As others have said, they differentiate based on features, not image quality. The Sensors are all but identical. Although I guess in all fairness, if you are shooting still-life/landscapes on a tripod, the E-M5 II High-Res feature will get you better image quality in that very specific use case.