1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Which one to print ?

Discussion in 'Printing' started by Bhupinder2002, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

2. kriskerry91

kriskerry91 Mu-43 Regular

Personally i would crop a little bit of number 3 (front the right) to centralize it more, and choose that one :)

3. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I will do the cropping before final prin Kris ...thanks :2thumbs:

4. kriskerry91

kriskerry91 Mu-43 Regular

Then you have my vote for number 3! :thumbup:

5. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    No.3 is actually the one I wouldnt print. I find that blown light and its reflection both distracting, ruining the balance of the photo and I dont think it will print well. I also dont really like the way long exposures work on palm trees.

I really love number 1 (although number 2 is pretty nice too). I do tend to like 'prints' to be fairly 'simple' with nice lines and geometry that is because most people glance at them rather than examine them for detail.

I really like the way that the 'traingle' of the bridge meets the horizon in number 1. There is a bit of cropping to do, balance the bridge, straighten the horizon and move the horizon possibly a bit lower.

6. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    I like the composition on number 2 but the background seems to be too blown out. So I would say Number 1, just make sure to correct the horizon :smile:

7. Matero

Matero Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2013
    Finland
    I follow monk3y, # 2 if not the background blown out. So my vote for # 1

8. mcrosa

mcrosa Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2013
    Miami, Florida
    Mike Crosa
    I like #3 as it draws me into the picture.

9. janneman

janneman Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2012
    Netherlands
    Jan (John) Kusters
    I like number 2 most, a very strong composition and great colour. The blown out sky does not not bother me in this case because of the strong colours elsewhere; it is just a powerful white against powerful colours.

Number 1 is also a strong one, although I agree with Robbie and Monk3y; straighten the horizon, and perhaps a little lower horizon. That would also help empathise the two boats. I like their movement against the sharp bridge and sign.

Number 3 is a but too much of everything I think. A great holiday pic to show 'how nice the evening were', but all in all less powerful for wall display (unless you go MUCH bigger; as a 6 by 9 feet print behind a counter it would work again.

Good technique on all three by the way.

10. garfield_cz

garfield_cz Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 9, 2011
    Czech Republic
    Pavel
  11. bluzcity

bluzcity Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2012
    Memphis, TN
    Brent
    3rd, and crop the top...my 2 cents..

12. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I think number 2 is by far the most interesting composition. I guess the question, for me, is whether you want a postcard shot, in which case 1 or 3 will do, or something more interesting and challenging. If you choose to do #1, it needs to be cropped so the pier is centered. It's currently cropped tighter on the right than the left.

13. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I really like number 2. Nice blend of surrealism/realism in the photo.

14. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    I like #2, but the sky is a bit too much over-exposed on the side.
    So my choice goes to #3

15. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Why not print them all and then decide? You can hang them all as a sort of triptyche if you like them all. If you find you like one more, then hang that one in your living room and hang the others in your office and your bathroom (or wherever).

The first shot needs to be straightened and I'd try to dodge the canopy a bit to bring back some detail there -- that big mass of pure black in the center makes it just look like something has been removed. I'd also crop this one to a 16x9 format (so a 32 x 18 print). Same thing with the canopy in the second shot and it appears there may be a slight lean to the horizon in this one as well. The third one is hurt by the light on the left side which draws the eye and hurts the balance -- if you can subtly burn that area a bit it might help.

16. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    At first review, #1 caught my attention.

--Ken

17. gnb40

gnb40 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2011
    Maryland
    Gary
    I think #2, cropped as a panoramic shot will really look good blown up fairly big... great graphic lines.

Maybe someone can answer a board etiquette question for me. Is it OK to grab a picture, modify it (say to illustrate my point above) and repost it?

Gary

18. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    I don't think a canvas is the right choice... You're going to lose ALOT of color, shadows and highlights. A large silver gelatin print mounted and framed would best preserve what make these images pop, the range of colors and tone.

BTW, I like #1.

19. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Generally that sort of thing is received fairly well around here, as long as the user in question has the "IMAGE EDITING OK" link in their profile. In this case, Bhupinder does, so you should be okay.

20. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    This is a good point that I didn't really consider. I would even suggest that these might work well as metal prints.