1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Which one to let go, silver or black OM-D?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by yekimrd, May 20, 2013.

1. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    I'm letting go of my OM-D (going to my bro) but am curious whether there's possibly a difference in resale value between the silver and black versions. From reading member posts, it seems that the black OM-D vs. silver owners are probably evenly matched in numbers. The silvers seem to go quicker from what I've seen but I haven't really looked to see whether the silvers also sell for higher. The reason I ask is because mine (black version) is in a slightly better condition than her my wife's; I might give her mine.

I know it's a rather odd question but I'd really love to hear other people's thoughts here.

Thanks!

2. abepak

abepak Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2013
    SFV, CA
    I think that within the general population, silver might sell better. But that's because they like the bling factor. Within the photographer community, I think it's a toss up. Some people like the silver bling, others want the "stealthy" black. Price seems to be pretty much the same.

I say keep the one in better condition if you're concerned about resale value.

3. ranxoren

ranxoren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    OT
    +1 keep the one in better condition.
    I personally just moved from a black to a silver OM-D but lots of people prefer the black.

4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I haven't the slightest idea, lol. I was torn when I was buying one, and I'm still torn. I wish you could swap out the bottom and top plates easily, because sometimes I want all black, and sometimes I want the retro silver.

Having said that, and having recently shopped for one, there seem to be more black one available than silver. Whether the becomes a price difference, I'm not sure, but I don't think it would be more than $25-50 difference anyway.

5. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    Rafael
    Believe the silver one is more popular, for a variety of aesthetic reasons including (1) potentially better match with both silver and black lenses, and (2)its similarity to vintage cameras which is appealing to some. Think this applies to other Olympus cameras as well if you for example look at which EP5 is preselling best at Amazon - the silver one. All that said, they both take the same picture and the skills of the photographer is ultimately what matters.

6. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    Twice I have been asked if my silver EM-5 shot film. Keep the silver. Then again, maybe Oly black lenses will reverse the trend.

7. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    Thanks everyone! Appreciate the responses thus far. 2 votes for keeping the one in better condition (black one), 2 for silver.

My thoughts exactly about the silver OM-D except I think they got the silver tone wrong in the E-M5 but nailed it in the E-P5. Wishing the next iteration would adapt the same black and silver toning.

My wife gets people commenting on hers as well every so often. I'm likely in the minority but I think the silver and black primes match the black OM-D better. hehe..

8. ranxoren

Apr 22, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    OT
    Haha minority indeed :)
    I really don't like the look of the silver primes on the black body.
    Then again I always preferred the silver all along hehe

9. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    Are you leaving Micro 4/3s completely for the Fuji X? What happened? Interested to here your thoughts. :biggrin:

10. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    I'd like to think of it more as gear churning at the moment. :tongue:

I've been watching Fuji since they released the X-P1 but never gave them any serious thought due to its slow-as-a-snail AF. I knew they had released firmware updates that improved but not yet solved the AF issue and last I checked they had released the X-E1 and a superb kit lens with a faster AF.

Fast forward to May 2013, I was intellectually debating with my sister who was a Nikon user and wanted to switch to Fuji. That's when I gave Fuji a second look. I was blown away with what was on their lens roadmap -- it was like a photographer's wet dream come true. I've grown tired of waiting for Olympus to release an UWA prime and fast 40-150 zoom while Fuji already has a fast UWA prime that's received rave reviews and will be releasing a fast-ish 45-150 counterpart next month (55-200/3.5-4.8).

While I myself can see the fuss about the intangible Leica-like IQ and Fuji colors from what I've seen online, I will reserve my own judgment for when I test it myself. :wink:

11. ranxoren

Apr 22, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    OT
    So you are moving to X-E1 with 18-55 kit lens (and other lenses I'm assuming)?

12. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    I'm gonna switch over to the dark side for now. Who knows? It might be fun. Also got the 35/1.4. Will order the 55-200 and tempted by the 14/2.8. I'll likely end up with a body from each system down the road. In the meantime, I want to force myself to learning the X system.

13. ranxoren

Apr 22, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    OT
    I went to a local camera shop last night after seeing your comment.
    Wanted to play with the X-E1 and see how it feels.

First off, the 18-55 lens is great. I didn't care for the plastic construction (if it's not plastic it sure felt like it) but was great at focusing (surprising, mind you great light in there) and colors were superb. Also manual focusing didn't take 9 turns as it did on the X100.

The X-E1 body itself was gorgeous and felt really nice in the hand. I feel it would be a much better combo coupled with the amazing primes Fuji offers.
    Again, didn't care for the plastic construction of the back of the body. Felt cheap compared to the rest (front and top).

All in all it's a huge improvement in terms of speed and focus compared to the X100 (used to have it until I couldn't put up with the AF and MF issues).

Thought of picking one up with the 18-55 just to try it out but then the overall feeling wasn't there.

Great camera nonetheless.
    Just my 2c :)

14. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    Thanks! Really appreciate your thoughts. Quite reassuring to hear that the AF is indeed better. Yes, the X-E1 unlike the X-Pro1 is not all magnesium alloy as the back is plastic. However, the 18-55 is metal as are all of the Fuji lenses. I'm thinking the black Oly prime lenses will have this exact same plasticky feel with the added black paint. :smile: I'm really diving in completely because of their lens lineup.

15. ranxoren

Apr 22, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    OT
    The lens lineup is pretty amazing indeed.
    That's funny that it is indeed all metal, definitely felt plasticky.

I would have loved to be able to test the AF in a low light area but couldnt. That's where I would be worried.

You're gonna have fun!