1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Which one to keep? Two Oly 14-42 kit lenses

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by WT21, Dec 16, 2011.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I have two Oly 14-42 kit lenses. I don't even like kit lenses, but I want to keep one for my wife.

One is a black mk ii from an EPL2 kit, the other is a silver mk ii R from an EPM1 kit (I still have the EPM1, but not the EPL2).

The R lens should get a few dollars more on the market, but it's cool looking. My one hesitation is that trim ring on front. If I lost it, the lens looks ugly, IMO, without it.

The Black mk ii looks fine without any kind of trim ring, but I'm having a hard time selling it.

Just trying to figure out which to keep and which to sell. I could have bigger problems, I know. Was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts.

2. dmc

dmc Mu-43 Regular

Feb 21, 2011
    Beijing
    I don't know, but it seems silver lenses become more collectible down the road. This seems to apply to all formats. I'd keep the silver.

• Like Like x 1
  3. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Bill, I guess I missed the thread where you sold your E-PL2. The E-PM1 does it all for you?

• Like Like x 1
  4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Ha! Thanks for asking. Yes, a spot of changing my mind there.

The EPM1 does indeed do it all for me. Even handles the 40-150 well. Also, I'm addicted to the faster AF and lower lag. I had the EP1 for two years, then rapidly went EP3 (too expensive) EPL2 (great grip and price, but...) then EPM1 supposed was to be for my wife, but I'm keeping it. It just does what I need it to do. I may get an EP3 later, when the price drops. Now the decision is another EPM1 or a GF3 for the wife (the big glowing iA button on the GF3 might be the trick for her, but I prefer the Oly jpgs)

5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I also like the looks of the silver one, excepting that trim ring if it goes missing.

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    If you really like the E-PM1, then I think you should get the same for your wife. She'll really like it. Besides which, the GF-3 doesn't even have a hotshoe for flash or accessory port for EVF. That will limit her options down the road, besides the better JPG quality of the E-PM1 which I'm sure your wife would appreciate. The E-PM1 is even smaller and more compact, besides faster and better performing with a weaker AA filter for sharper images, and they both have the same iAuto function which she can leave the camera on full-time (why does she need a dedicated button if she just keeps it on that setting?). I really see no reason to go with the GF-3... (in fact, I didn't even before the E-PM1 came out, lol - I'm not a big GF-3 fan, if you didn't notice).

If you're having a hard time selling the Mark II lens, I would just sell the II R. There's really no difference between the two (assuming firmware is updated in the old one) except for a better texture in the zoom and focus rings.

7. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Thanks Ned,

On the button -- on the Panny, it glows blue, so it's easy to say "make sure the blue button is glowing before shooting" :)

8. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Sharing batteries/accessories is nice too.

If only the E-PM1 came with the X 14-42 as a kit, it'd be the perfect P&S upgrade.

DH

9. hannu108

hannu108 Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 11, 2011
    Netherlands
    I had both lenses and found the Mk II better in:

- built quality
    - silent operation—great for movie recording
    - sharper in all focal lengths when stopped to f/6.3 - f/11 and f/5.6 (14mm) [ I shot a ISO resolution chart]

I'd keep the Mk II version if you prefer movie and still image quality. :2thumbs:

10. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
    They are both Mk II - do you mean you had the original (Mk I) version?

11. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Heh... let's clarify things a bit here...

There were essentially 4 versions of the m.Zuiko 14-42mm made, but only 3 different names used between the 4.

The first two versions were just called m.Zuiko ED 14-42mm, but are now referred to as the "Mark I" (since there's now a Mark II, of course). They differ in that the original (bundled with the E-P1 and E-P2) had a metal mount, then the last version bundled with the E-PL1 has a plastic mount. The plastic mount ED version is the least desirable of all the copies.

Then came the first MSC version, also known as the "Mark II" or MSC II, bundled with the E-PL1s and the E-PL2. This changed the glass from ED to Aspherical, and changed the focus system to internal. The front barrel is a lot more solid (and non-rotating), AF is faster (especially on the newest generation PENs with the dual-processors), and operation is silent.

The latest version is the MSC II R bundled with the E-P3, E-PL3, and E-PM1. It performs the same as the MSC II version, but is cosmetically updated with textured zoom and focus rings, and a decorative ring on the front bayonet. The textured rings are actually a very nice touch though, making the lens both look and feel better.

The MSC IIR version was also faster operating on the new generation PENs, but the MSC II versions had a firmware update to make them perform at the same speed... so this is a moot point. The hardware was already in place for this upgrade with the first MSC version.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    There is a replacement kit with three trim rings, one of each: white, silver,black
    I think it was $16 or there abouts. Or if you ask nice ill send you my silver one off of the oly 45 as I always use a hood.

13. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I mentioned that only if the silver ring goes missing. I actually just sold this lens. I really don't use kit lenses much, and my wife wasn't using this (thought it was for her), so it went off in the mail today.

Thanks for the offer, though!

14. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
    Thanks Ned. Is it a similar situation with the 40-150mm lens? As I see there is an older version of that and a newer R version. Am looking at the E-PM1 bundles and was just going to go for the 14-42 (might as well as the kit bundle is only £50 more than the body only and I can use the newer (better) kit lens on my old E-PL1).

But the bundle with the 14-42mm AND 40-150mm lenses is only around £130 more than the one with just the 14-42mm lens, whereas the 40-150mm lens bought new on it's own is £200 (old version) or £250 (R version) here in the UK.

So compared to the price for buying it separately at £250, getting it for £130 seems a good deal at just over half the price. :) I thought maybe then if I don't like the 40-150mm lens or don't use it much I can probably just sell it and get most of the £130 extra I paid back. On the other hand the old version of the 40-150mm lens can be found on ebay for around £90...

So is it worth paying the extra £40 for the newer R version of the 40-150mm lens? The old one seems to get a pretty good review here: http://www.ephotozine.com/article/olympus-m-zuiko-digital-ed-40-150mm-f-4-0-5-6-lens-review-16898

15. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    As far as I remember, the only difference in the R version is still cosmetic. One odd thing though about the 40-150mm is that it didn't get a firmware update when the R series lenses came out, like the 14-42mm and 14-150mm did. The firmware update of Jul 2011 is for non-R MSC lenses to improve lens-to-camera communication so they can keep up with the dual-processors of the latest generation PENs. What I'm not sure about is if that lens is slower than the R version since there's no update for it, or if there's no update because the original MSC version was already just as fast...

For optics and design, these lenses should be the same. The cosmetic difference is obvious, the only question is if there's any difference in firmware performance.

• Like Like x 1