1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Which one to buy? Olympus 75mm 1.8 vs. Olympus 45mm 1.8?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by briloop, Jun 18, 2012.

1. briloop

briloop Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    Mount Juliet, TN
    I'm in the market for a lens. I love portrait photography and want to do some weddings. Money is no object, but I want to buy only one. Which one? The Olympus 75mm 1.8 or the Olympus 45mm 1.8?

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The 75mm f/1.8 would be a better portrait lens.

3. Pokemon

Pokemon Mu-43 Rookie

May 26, 2012
    is the oly 75mm available?

4. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    IMHO,
    The focal lengths are too different to only want one. And because you only want one, then perhaps the upcoming Panasonic 35-100 ƒ2.8 would work out best for your needs.

5. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Good suggestion!

Now, to the OP, the question is which focal length are you more accustomed to using?

6. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Back in my film days, the rule of thumb for a portrait lens on a 35mm camera was in the range of 85-120. That would make the 75, which is 150 equivalent - a little long as a portrait lens.

But that was then....maybe the standard has shifted longer.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    The 45 is a good cheaper option, the 75 should be good as well. You can't go wrong with either.

8. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Indoors, 45mm, outdoors 75mm.

9. Monza76

Monza76 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2012
    That 75 will put some serious distance between you and your subject, a 150mm equivalent is a very long lens. I think the 45mm will offer more flexibility, BUT... you need to determine your needs. If you like to stand back and get optically close, the 75 is for you. It will capture greater detail without having to move in close, however the 45 is still a telephoto lens and is right in the sweet spot of "traditional" portrait lenses with a 90mm equivalent field of view.

A tough call but a very subjective one, both promise excellent image quality, now you have to decide what kind of images you plan to shoot.

10. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    As has been said, they are very different focal lengths.

That said, I would tentaviley suggest you go with the 75. According to olympus, and my own estimation based on observation of samples, this is the best technical performance of any M43 lens. It will also have even better resale value, and build quality will be better.

150mm isn't that much longer than the normal long designation for portrait lenses. Remember that differences in angle of view are less significant on the long end than on the short end. The difference between a 450mm and a 500 mm lens is much less than the difference between a 10mm and a 50mm, for example. Having it a bit longer than standard portrait classification was probably partially to help it gain just a little more shallow DOF and flatness that M4/3 traditionally has problems with.

If you're going to shoot weddings, my guess it that having a longer lens will be more practical than otherwise. You can capture portraits of more than just the people immediately around you, and would have a better time with candids. For set-up shots, it shouldn't matter. You'll also get better subject isolation, and less fringing in high contrast situations(which is about the only downfall of the 45mm wide open, although easily fixable in LR4.1).

11. mr_botak

mr_botak Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2011
    Reading, UK
    David
    Good morning briloop. I'd go for the 45 - I suspect the 75 will just be a tad long. My adapted 85 is great for small animals, but for people you need to be a long way back. As an aside, I'd suggest that weddings were probably one of the places where a fast zoom would be worth its weight in gold.

12. Anthony

Anthony New to Mu-43

Jun 15, 2012
    new jersey
    anthony
    +1

13. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I disagree. Shooting 35mm / full frame, most people used lenses in the 85 - 100mm range for portraits. I preferred the 100 for tight head / head & shoulder shots, but many people considered even 100mm too long. The 150 (equivalent) is quite long, and will really constrain what you can do in typical indoor rooms. If ALL you want to do in terms of portraits is head shots, it'll be fine.

And while the 75mm may be a bit sharper (time will tell), the 45mm is very sharp, and in portrait use too much detail is sometimes a negative. Few people want tack sharp renditions of blemishes and wrinkles.

• Like Like x 1
  14. briloop

briloop Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    Mount Juliet, TN

15. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Since you have the 40-150 zoom, why not put that on your camera and decide from that the working distances each of the focal lengths under consideration would give you, then see what you feel most comfortable with. Both lenses will give you top notch performance. It's really about the working distances for certain kinds of shots that you want. A head and shoulders shot of the bride and groom with the 45 might bring you closer than you want to be; on the other hand a full length shot with the 75 will get you further away than some photographers would like. What do YOU like??

16. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Excellent idea, Lawrence.

17. bunguar

bunguar Mu-43 Regular

Jun 18, 2012
    Iceland
    Kari
    Money is no object? Lucky bastard, im unemployed hehehe, im getting the 45mm the 75 will never be affordable for me nor the 100-300 panasonic

18. 938mm

938mm Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 24, 2012
    Hong Kong
    I currently have the 45mm, it is an excellent lens for its price, though I am considering trading it off for the 75mm next month. I also have the 12mm and believe the 75mm will be in the same league as the 12mm or better! I like the 12mm not only for its FOV and IQ but also the great build quality. I am a sucker for high quality lenses! I accidentally put my 45mm next to the 12mm in the bag the other day and it end up pretty scratched cos of the 12mm being metal built.

I would suggest you try out the FL on your zoom lens and see how much foot work and space you are willing to make or part with. If you are absolutely after premium build quality and high IQ, then no doubt the 75mm will be the ideal choice. With time I am sure you will work on your shooting style to make the most out of this lens. If you don't have GAS (gear acquisition syndrome) like me :D and don't need the premium build quality, the 45mm would be a wise choice given it performs more than its monies worth. Just my thoughts.

19. bunguar

bunguar Mu-43 Regular

Jun 18, 2012
    Iceland
    Kari
    You can buy pouches from random sellers online, thats what im gona do when i get more lenses, keeps the lenses safe

20. brianvickers

brianvickers Mu-43 Regular

Jul 1, 2011
    I would agree the 75mm would be a bit long for weddings - you will have to be some distance back for full length shots and have to shout louder to direct your subjects.
    75mm ideal for close crop head and shoulders -45mm ideal for all other shots.
    this is in my humble opinion having only shot two weddings.

• Like Like x 1