1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Which one - OMD-5 or PEN EP-L5?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by drcolby, Nov 13, 2012.

1. drcolby

drcolby Mu-43 Regular

Jul 4, 2012
    My soul s near gone. I am ridding myself of my Panasonic cameras, keeping some select lenses.
    After a financial bath, my options are an EP-L5 body as a straight trade, or an OMD body plus $300.
    The pluses of the EPL are: quick learn, a LVF I can use on both it and my old EP-L1. In other words, pickup and start shooting.
    The pluses of the OMD are the weather seal and IBIS. I am a shaky "old man", therefore the departure from the Pandys. The disadvantages are steep learning curve.
    Advice?

Dabe

2. Uncle Frank

Uncle Frank Photo Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Frank
    Sounds like a win/win to me. Flip a coin.

3. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I just ordered the e-pl5. I have a vf2 so I can use it with longer lenses. The em5 ibis is tempting but I'll put the extra money toward a lens.

4. Ropes4u

Ropes4u Mu-43 Regular

Sep 24, 2012
    After starting down the road of a p1 / p2 variant I decided to buy a OMD and a few lenses.

The efv and ibis were the deciding factors for me.

5. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I can't believe the EM5 is that hard to learn. Or, more to the point, that much harder than the E -PL5. It's a tough call since IQ is evidently not a distinguishing feature. (My compliments to Olympus doing this) For me, the size and lower price won. $350 will be a good step toward the 60 or75.

6. TDP

TDP Guest

The EM5 has more buttons/dials (easier and quicker manual control), better IS and an EVF. I also think it is built sturdier. If those things are important to you, go with the EM5. If not, you can save some dough and go for the EPL5.

7. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    The OM-D is a quicker handling/responsive camera. Without the EVF, the Pen is much tougher for action (lower keeper ratio) and less effective in low light (low light = slow shutter speed and per no EVF to steady the camera against the head and a lesser IBIS). Adding a EVF puts you into the same ballpark cost-ways.

It basically boils down to:

1) disposal income (OM-D is significantly more expensive for the identical sensor);
    2) what you shoot (OM-D is superior to the Pen for action, quicker handling, slow-shutter, inclement weather, portraits/the vertical grip - all else the cameras are pretty much equal;
    3) appearance (the Pen is a sexy little camera).

That is the order of importance for most people (for me I'd switch #1 with #3).

Gary

• Like Like x 1
  8. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    Go for the E-M5

Given I've jumped from a fully manual film OM3 to an E-M5 and I have accepted that it will take me some time to fully use all the functions I can confirm that because the E-M5 has the same "I-Auto" setting as the E-PL series it can be used as a (expensive) point and shoot if you want to.

Given the price of the viewfinder (yes I think you will need one as some point when outdoors) you can use it in easy mode until you get the hang of the super control panel (about 30 sec) and all the dials set just how you want them (much much longer) and the weatherproofing I think the difference is smaller than you think and you will get more from the E-M5

9. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    PS

Having looked at my daughters E-PL3 and my E-M5 the difference between the menus is minor (i.e. just as difficult to work through without the Super Control Panel turned on).

10. ccunningham

ccunningham Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    For the most part, I really like the E-M5 handling and controls, but of course that's a personal thing. You already are used to the E-PL1, but I doubt you would have trouble "getting up to speed" on the E-M5.

The thing that got me to upgrade to the E-M5 thought was the weather sealing. I had considered going a bunch of different mirrorless directions, but the EM-5 sealed the deal over it's competitors with that one feature, since it was for most part a dead heat in other areas. But weather resistance is important to me, and it may be less or not at all important to you.

11. LeeOsenton

LeeOsenton Mu-43 Button Clicker

Jun 25, 2010
    Hayes, Virginia, U.S.A.
    Lee Osenton
    I just wrestled with this decision and now have a shiny white E-PL5. I agree with the others on cost; there is no savings on an E-PL5 over the OM-D when you consider the cost of an external viewfinder for the E-PL5. You also give up the ability to use a flash with a viewfinder on the E-PL5. I wanted OM-D performance in the smallest package I could get. As an older guy, I have come to love the swivel feature on the external viewfinder and did not want to lose that with an OM-D upgrade. The E-PL5 lets me tilt the LCD and EVF. I thought this would be nice to have; it has turned out to be awesome!

It is great that Olympus is offering two remarkably fine choices with the new sensor. Good luck with your decision.

Lee

12. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2012
    I sure do like an EVF. In sun light it is really hard to use the touch screen. On the other hand inside or in crappy lighting conditions you do just fine.

I would like to know how the Panny lenses interact with the Oly body. I have heard that lens corrections don't work. What about image stabilization and compensation of IS for focal length? Do you have to set it manually. I have mostly Panny lenses. They seem to be better rated than OLY lenses. Other than some but not all showing purple fringe they seem to work great on OlY camera. If you have a Panny lens with an OIS switch do you leave it on or off when using an OLY body? Any body know?

13. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    On the OM-D I use the:

P7-14mm
    P14mm
    P20mm
    PL25mm
    P45-200
    P100-300

I don't see a difference in performance between the Pany's and the Oly's. The exception being the P7-14, an abundance of CA when shooting into a light source. (Both LR and Aperture have easy fixes for the CA.) I use the camera IBIS and leave the lens IS O-F-F.

Gary

• Like Like x 1
  14. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    Thats a nice lens list right there, thats a nice set up

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App

15. drcolby

drcolby Mu-43 Regular

Jul 4, 2012
    Well, people, made my mind up at 3 a.m. this morning,
    Came home an hours or so ago with a silver OMD body.
    Battery is charging now and I have 14 days to make up my mind if she's a keeper.
    Better be, I just ordered 2 more batteries.

Thanks for all the input.
    Dave

16. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Thanks Andrew. My youngest has the 20mm in Scotland and I'm giving the 45-200 to Mary Lou. My Oly lenses are: 12mm, 45mm, 60mm and 75mm. My least used lenses are the O45mm and the P14mm. I think the rest get pretty much equal time on my cameras. I've pretty much see ยต4/3 as my future and my FF system is now collecting dust.

G

17. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    It's a win-win situation, either camera would be a super choice. When you start calculating the difference in price over the lifespan of the camera, the difference becomes insignificant. The problem with getting the top-of-the-line equipment ... you can only blame yourself when you miss a shot.

Good Luck and Good Shooting,
    Gary

18. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2012
    Came home an hours or so ago with a silver OMD body.
    Battery is charging now and I have 14 days to make up my mind if she's a keeper.

You won't regret it. I was in this real dark restaurant today with my OMD and took a picture of the food with my new Panasonic 12-35 mm 2.8. Auto ISO and wide open at 12mm. It fired at 1600 ISO 1/15th sec. Hand held at about 1 foot. After correcting for a little noise and chromatic aberration,-razor sharp. That IS must be working!

19. drcolby

drcolby Mu-43 Regular

Jul 4, 2012
    WOW!
    What an incredible camera!
    I have no good feel from what I am doing at this point, but I have a Oly 45mm on and am walking around in our coal mine of a living room. Been shooting little things (including pets) and the IBIS and auto WB just blows my mind.
    Haven't been this excited about a camera since back in the 60s with the first of the Nikon Fs.
    Acid test will be tomorrow. Going mushroom picking in the rain. Have the waterproof kit Oly 12-50 and will put it on and try to keep the lens clean in the deep, dark rainy forest.

Dave

20. wildwildwes

wildwildwes Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    congratulations dave! imho opinion you definitely made the right decision...

looking forward to seeing your OM-D pix soon!