Which one of these three and WHY ??????

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Dakota, Dec 26, 2016.

1. Dakota

Dakota Mu-43 Regular

Sep 20, 2016
    Burson, Ca.
    Bill Cook
    I am looking at the Olympus EM5 II, Panasonic G85, Olympus E-M1. I want a excellent camera for mostly stills. I do not do that much video but maybe more way down the road. I do like the max shutter speed on the Olympus cameras at 1/8000. I know there are pro and cons on every camera. I do mostly wildlife, birds, river and lakes, forests, zoos etc. Most likely will get the 100-300 lens later this summer. Would love to do the E-M1 II camera but its way out of my price range. So give me feedback and your opinion on these three choises and why.
    Thanks

Bill

2. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman Subscribing Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    The E-m1 is an excellent camera, I have no experience of the other 2 though I have an original E-M5.

All of them are probably better cameras than your photographic skills... Thats no disrespect to you...It's just a fact that all modern cameras are capable of taking very high quality images. The limiting factor in the vast majority of questions like this is the photographers understanding of the photographic process.

Of those three models, the best one is the one that feels right to you and or meets your budget

K

• Agree Agree x 6
  3. wimg

wimg Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 10, 2016
    Netherlands
    Ok, let me analyze your question, and go from there. :)

Mostly stills: That essentially rules out G85 as it is especially better at video than the other two are, and vice versa the other two are better at stills.
    Wildlife, birds: The E-M1 is the camera for those, as it has faster AF I understand.
    River, lakes, forests: Essentially landscapes, IOW. Both EM-1 and E-M5 Mk II will handle these well. Just note that the E-M5 Mk II has approx. 2 stops lower noise and in addition has the high-res option.
    Zoos: either E-M1 or E-M5 Mk II. The animals are fairly static.

Of coourse, you could save a little longer, and/or wait a little longer for used E-M1 Mk IIs to appear in the market. It will do all better, and also does video very well.

HTH, kind regards, Wim

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Why would you rule out the G85? Just because it has better video capabilities does not mean that it sucks at stills, it is a fantastic stills camera.

E-M5 mkII at zoos because the animals are static? Huh? You can do BIF and wildlife outside of zoo with either the G85 or E-M5 mkII.

While the E-M1 is a fine camera, the newer G85 and E-M5 mk II offer improvements as you would expect being new camera versions.

• Agree Agree x 6
  5. walter_j

walter_j Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Hagwilget, B.C., Canada
    Walter
    I have the E-M1 and am somewhat interested in upgrading to the Mk2, but in no hurry due to price, and no killer feature that I must have. I have the E-M5 original and found the E-M1 a big step up due to faster processing, focusing. You can click as fast as you want and not have processing quickly come to a halt as did on the E-M5 - especially for BIF. I have no experience with the Panasonic and won't say anything about it.

6. skellington

skellington Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Mar 4, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Keith
    Would you consider an E-M1 and a 4/3 50-200?

For wildlife, if size is not a huge priority, the 4/3 lenses are a great option.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Take a look at the 4K photo features of the G85, if they may be of use to you then that camera is worthy of even more consideration. I think the two Olympus models will subjectively feel a bit more "premium" than the G85 but that is just one of those things.

8. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    My prior post did not address the OP's question. I have had a few MFT bodies in the past: E-M5 i, GH4, etc., but not the E-M1 i. I currently have both E-M5 II and G85 and I find both of them to be outstanding, mature bodies. They are both extremely capable and close to each other in features with the lack of 4K in the E-M5 II being the obvious exception. Both are extremely well built.

Looking forward for the OP since he mentioned the 100 - 300, I would pick either Panasonic or Olympus based on what long lenses you might want long term. I say that because the future of long lenses looks like they will be stabilized both optically and in body and Olympus and Panasonic appear not to be able to that with the other's lenses.

9. wimg

wimg Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 10, 2016
    Netherlands
    I didn't rule it out, they are just suggestions, based on what people generally say and do, and split acording to subjects requiring specific shooting styles and/or approaches. Dakota asked for the why, and I just summarized it. Animals in a zoo are reatively static.

Personally, with the choices given, I would likely go with the Oly E-M5 II, but that's me. And I would also consider the Pen F. :)

Kind regards, Wim

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
  10. wimg

wimg Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 10, 2016
    Netherlands
    I may be mistaken, but I heard that double IS already was or will be supported.

Kind regards, Wim

11. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I don't think that dual IS will be supported cross-platforms, e.g. Pan lens on Oly bodies and the reverse.

Your comment about the E-M5 II is noted, it is my favorite camera if I did want 4K. Still, the G85 is surprising; and, the grip would ideal for longer lenses.

• Like Like x 1
  12. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    @Dakota@Dakota, remember this: You are not getting married here. I suggest that you make your best decision, then patiently wait for a good used body at a good price. It sounds like these M43 cameras may be new to you. Often the first thing you buy just teaches you what you really want. So if your first choice doesn't work out, sell and buy again. As @wimg@wimg points out, too, used Mk IIs will be coming into the market so that may become an option as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    For mostly stills, I'd aim at the E-M1 mk1.

But would help to be able to hold said camera versus say the Panasonic. The biggest difference I noticed between the brands it the ergonomics and the user interface (for example I can't get used to the menu system and UI of the GH4, but I love my E-M5 Mk1).

• Like Like x 1
  14. Dakota

Dakota Mu-43 Regular

Sep 20, 2016
    Burson, Ca.
    Bill Cook
    The main reason I am going to these cameras I am 76 years old and want a lighter camera. I have had many film and DSLR cameras from Nikon, Canon, Pentax and a few others over the years. I liked all of them for one reason or other. probably my favorite for IQ was the Nikons. One of these three will be my next camera and like I said Video is way down on the priority list. Still photography will be my main concern. I think 300mm will be the longest lens I will need. With a 2x crop factor that's plenty. I appreciate all the feedback everyone has good points to think about. Well I have about 30 to 40 days to make a decision before pulling the trigger. Thanks to all

Bill

• Appreciate Appreciate x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    If you don't mind manual focus and shorter focal length (ie: 270mm after crop factor), some of the Leica Threadmount 135mm lens are much more compact (though may be slightly heavier than expected).

This is at f/4 wide open

pa288593_1280_by_kbeezie-d84ilnd. [

Looks like this next to my E-M5 (Mk1) Far right all in chrome (the mounted lens is a Tamron SP 90mm f/2.8 Adaptall 1:1 lifesize macro).

adaptedlens.

16. wimg

wimg Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 10, 2016
    Netherlands
    Hi Bill,

If still photography is your main concern, I'd seriuosly also consider the Pen F, which can be summed up as an E-M5 II in adifferent housing but with a higher res and newer sensor - unless you need the splashproofing of the EM-5 that is.
    Kind regards, Wim

17. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2015
    I think all bodies are fine, but the EM1 opens up a lot more lens options and is generally probably the best for faster moving wildlife (birds etc). If that is going to be your subject I would also advice against the 100-300. The P100-300 is a fine lens when speed is not of the highest importance, but if you're shooting continuous focus/bursts the aperture mechanism really slows it down. All of the newer bodies have built in IBIS, so that advantage has really gone. My parents have one and I like it, but it is near impossible to shoot birds in flight with it (at least for me).

My Recommendation would be EM1 + 4/3 50-200 or 75-300. That said, you should try to get a hold of the camera in the store. I personally don't seem to get along well with Olympus cameras and if that is the case just get the G80.

18. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror! Subscribing Member

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    I'd vote for the em1...but after using the em1ii for a week now, I vote for you to save your money :-$

19. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2015
    You're mean.:daz:

20. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    The 2 big things in my opinion on the Op's original choices:

If you ever want to shoot C-AF effectively and/or use adapted 4/3 lenses, the EM1 is the best choice.

Otherwise, the EM5II or the Panasonic body would perform well.

• Agree Agree x 1