Which one is better in your opinion?

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by zettapixel, Aug 12, 2011.

1. zettapixel

zettapixel Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2010
    NY
    Thanks in advance.

p467553387-4.

p196908874-4.

• Like Like x 2
  2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    In general I prefer the first, the blacks seem deeper and the pose suggests action. As a portrait I would prefer the second as you can see more of the face. :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Hard to choose. #1 shows a direct connection between the subject and the background (building). #2 is good because you can still see the camera in the shot, and the man looking for somewhere to point it. #1 is a shot of the moment, #2 is about the anticipation of the moment.

My first thought was for #1, but when I squinted hard at the pictures on my iPhone and saw the half-cocked camera at the bottom of #2, that one got my vote.

• Like Like x 1
  4. zettapixel

zettapixel Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2010
    NY
    Thank you, Luckypenguin, you expressed it very well. My intent was to photograph him making a shot (which I did), but his expression made me make the 2nd shot.
    By the way, I meant to ask you, are there really penguins in Australia?

5. Oh, there's plastic penguins to be sure, and even some real live ones in the south-east tip. They feel most put out when the noisy MotoGP circus rolls in to Philip Island.

• Like Like x 1
  6. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    I really like the first one better. I seems easier to connect to, because I understand whats going on.

• Like Like x 2