Which one is better- defish or not?

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by penWS, Mar 4, 2014.

1. penWS

penWS Mu-43 Regular

Sep 7, 2013
    New Zealand
    Hi guys, I'm into m43 recently and took some shots at Singapore waterfront with my E-PL5 and Rokinon 7.5mm! After that I tried defishing using the Canon 15mm profile in Lightroom. The results are decent, but I'm a fan of the fisheye view too! I would like your opinions- is it better to defish this or not? Cheers!:biggrin:

Original
    P3022422-1.

Defished
    P3022422-1-1.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I say keep it orig
    The bridge on left is too cool to cut out so much!

3. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I like the fishy one.

4. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Defished one makes buildings lean too much. Maybe don't defish it so much?

5. penWS

penWS Mu-43 Regular

Sep 7, 2013
    New Zealand
    Thanks everyone! I like the original too, the buildings indeed lean a lot probably because of the extreme fisheye curve, I will remember not to point too high next time. Fishy it is.:biggrin:

6. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    • Like Like x 1
  7. christofp

christofp Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2012
    If you search for something in between:

Defishing a 5mm lens (that seems to be the focal length if defished) is not always good looking, especially in the edges.

I like to defish my Samyang with Hugin where I can select the cylindrical "General Panini" projection as output. This projection looks very natural because the verticals are straight but you retain 95% of the huge fisheye FOV. It is a very good compromise between fisheye and rectilinear.

I hope you don't mind that I took your picture into Hugin, straightened it a little bit in the middle and selected Panini General output. Would you like this third version?

P3022422-1-P3022422-1.

Oh, I forgot to say: your picture is really great!!!!!!!!

8. christofp

christofp Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2012
    While it is not good for this picture (because we all like the reflections in the water) I also use Hugin to correct the perspective distortions or if I want to tilt everything.

Here is an example if I simply drag the your pictures horizon to Hugins horizon. Architecture looks better but unfortunately the water surface gets much smaller.

9. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I prefer the original. Great colors!

• Like Like x 1
  10. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I like the defished version best, but agree that it could be straightened a bit less. Either way, a great photo.

11. WhidbeyLVR

WhidbeyLVR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 14, 2014
    Whidbey Island
    Lyle
    Lovely shot, penWS!

One of the nice things about Hugin is that you have numerous ways to correct and re-project. With your indulgence, here is a defished version with the horizon straightened and reprojected using the cylindrical projection. Everything straightens up nicely, and the corners aren't stretched into oblivion.

P3022422-3.

FWIW, I strongly preferred the original fishy to the rectilinear defish. But the cylindrical defish might run a close second. Thanks for the photo and the thread!

• Like Like x 4
  12. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    Wow, I'm going t have to take another look at Hugin, which I found a bit inscrutable on first pass. Thanks for posting this!

13. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I had not heard of Hugin before but it does do a great job. I think I still prefer the original but this is very well corrected. For those interested here is the Hugin website - I just looked it up myself.

http://hugin.sourceforge.net/

• Like Like x 1
  14. penWS

penWS Mu-43 Regular

Sep 7, 2013
    New Zealand
    Thanks! Your Panini General output already looks better for sure, but I think the 'cylindrical' by WhidbeyLVR is quite unreal. Looks like I will be studying defishing for the next few days, as there are quite a few shots I took with the Rokinon during my travels!

15. penWS

penWS Mu-43 Regular

Sep 7, 2013
    New Zealand
    Cheers! And a big thanks for posting this, I think the 'cylindrical' is absolutely amazing. It almost looks like a shot with the 45mm! I think this is going to be the best projection for fisheye architectural shots, will definitely look in Hugin.

16. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Wow, that cylindrical one worked really well for this scene! It really seems to depend on the scene as to what projection works best.

Hugin is pretty powerful if you can get your head around it. I found this blog to be a great starting point:
    http://m43photo.blogspot.co.nz/2012/03/defishing-fisheye-images.html
    I actually just decided to get a Samyang fish-eye after some successful de-fishing attempts with various projections in Hugin using images from this forum :D

17. penWS

penWS Mu-43 Regular

Sep 7, 2013
    New Zealand
    Thank you everyone. I did not expect to get so many insightful replies on my first thread here!:smile: For this I'm still sticking with the original because I think the bridge is really cool that way, but there are quite a few shots that I will be trying to defish!:biggrin:

• Like Like x 1