1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Which one for my 10 yr old??

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by pixl10, Dec 12, 2011.

1. pixl10

pixl10 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 31, 2011
    Phoenix AZ
    Hi
    Looking for some advise. My 10yr old has been asking for a camera for Christmas (ILC), he is an absolute beginner but wants to change lenses. I simply could not talk him into a point and shoot. I was thinking of one of the entry level DSLRs but they are quite expensive. I myself shoot with EPl3. The older m4/3 seem to be dropping a lot in price and I have quite a few lenses we could share, but cannot seem to decide between the Olympus EPL2, Panasonic GF2 or Panasonic G2. I think he will only use it as a point and shoot to begin with, but he does like to shoot videos(uses my iPhone for that), and hopefully can grow into using some of the advanced features. I sometimes think I am totally crazy to give in to his wants but he seems to like photography and I want to encourage it rather than say "you are too young". I also think I could use his as a second body if he loses interest (yes, ulterior motive present).

Thanks

2. Not a silly thing at all. My son is as confident with my E-PL1 as I am, he has just turned 10. Totally gets the concept of aperture and DOF, and loves playing with MF lenses!
    Moviemaking is a valid career, probably more job security as a cameraman than a traditional profession in our brand new automated world, where we get to focus on entertainment over production.
    I would suggest getting a Panasonic, even a second hand GH1, with OIS kit lens. Good complement to your E-PL3! And look for a basic course somewhere local, where the two of you can learn filming techniques. Probably the major reason your son is into an ILC is so that he can spend more time with you, make the most of it in the precious pre-teen years!

• Like Like x 1
  3. pixl10

pixl10 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 31, 2011
    Phoenix AZ
    Yup he is always wanting to use my Oly. I have tried the GH1 and Gh2 for myself but they were too big so sold it. Used Gh1 might be good for him. How is the G2's video?

4. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    My 8-year old granddaughter operates a Panasonic point-and-shoot camera with a sizable zoom range like an old pro. Your 10-year old should have no problem. Some suggestions;

Panasonic GF2 for $399
    Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Digital Micro Four Thirds DMC-GF2KK B&H

Olympus E-PL1 for $369:
    http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-Inter...BRJO/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1323711504&sr=8-4

Too bad you didn't ask two weeks ago because Target had the Panasonic GF3 for $399 plus you got a $75 Target gift card - for an effective price of $324. Also, I was seeing the E-PL1 for $299 on the Internet but can't seem to find it at that price anymore.

The G2 body-only had gone down to $299 with the version with a lens running about $399 for a while. But it's more money now. That's what happens: When a camera has just been replaced, the price drops - sometimes very low. But then, as the older camera becomes harder to find, the price creeps back up. Frankly, any of the cameras you list will work just fine.

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Psh, I would take a GF-2 or E-PL1 over a G3 any day of the week for the same price, so I think this is as good a time as any to buy. ;)

The E-PM1 is selling for ridiculously low for what it is, but that still may be a bit much. It's only $419 locally in Canada, where prices are always higher than the States. If you could find a good deal on an E-PL2 though, I'd go for that in a heartbeat. That's every bit as good as an E-PM1 and much better than either the GF-2 or E-PL1.

If you do end up using it as a second body, the E-PL2 will perform the best as a pair to the E-PL3. You may even find you'll want to use the E-PL2 as the main and the E-PL3 as the backup, as they both have different strengths. :D

6. pixl10

pixl10 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 31, 2011
    Phoenix AZ
    Yes the G2's body is at $299 at b&h. I just thought the dslr ergonomics may be more comfortable for his smaller hands. The Epl2 also has a sizable grip for comfort but it's video is limited to just 7 mins? The Gf2 is a steal for $399 with lens but I am not sure how comfortable it is to handle. I have tried the gf3 at fry's elect and I found it very uncomfortable to hold. The EPm1 is again quite uncomfortable. I even find the EPL3 uncomfortable without the grip and may actually go back to the EP3 for myself.
    Thanks for the input.

7. OIS means bigger lenses, bigger body will balance better. Weight won't bother a 10 year old, maybe get him involved in the purchase?
    I'm sure he'll be over the moon whatever you choose!

8. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Wait, who's in charge here? This is a Christmas present, not a peace treaty. :)

I would recommend a water-proof, shockproof, dustproof compact. A nice one, mind you, not a kiddie toy. One that he won't be afraid to carry everywhere, and one that you won't have to worry about getting repaired/replaced in 6 months.

9. pixl10

pixl10 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 31, 2011
    Phoenix AZ
    I wonder that sometime too. Who is in charge?Lol!

10. showbiz2u

showbiz2u New to Mu-43

Dec 12, 2011
    Yeah, get him started early on the camera hobby! I use a GH1 myself but they're hard to find on sale anywhere these days. A GH2 with kit lens has recently gone for about 600 dollars but another option is the EP2: full manual controls on the video are key, and you already have an Oly body so in-body stabilization stays in the family.

$369 with 17mm 2.8 lens:
    Olympus PEN E-P2 Micro 4/3 Digital Camera & 17mm Lens (Black/Silver Lens) - Factory Demo includes Full 1 Year Warranty
    or $369 with 14-42 kit lens:
    Olympus PEN E-P2 Micro 4/3 Digital Camera & 14-42mm Lens (Black) - Factory Demo includes Full 1 Year Warranty
    These are factory refurbished, though with 1 year Olympus warranties. I'm not sure how much new models go for, haven't been in the market for anything besides GH2 lately. ;)

EPL-1's are also nice I've heard, and could be a cheaper/smaller option. Like others have said any of the options will make your son ecstatic!

11. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Get it with the pancake lens. It'll help him to develop more natural compositional skills while young, and it'll be simpler for him to operate. Plus it'll allow a faster shutter speed to avoid errors.

• Like Like x 1
  12. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    If you're looking to save a bit but still give him some fun, BestBuy still has the BRAND NEW E-P1 body for $229 USD...:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  13. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
  14. pixl10

pixl10 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 31, 2011
    Phoenix AZ
    I have the 20mm pancake that I might let him use, is it better on Ep2, Epl2 or Gf2. It is pretty slow to focus on the EPL3, and from what I read it is slow focussing on other bodies too. Is the 17mm any faster?

15. edawooda

edawooda New to Mu-43

Nov 7, 2011
    get an Olympus like yours.

Then stuff like batteries and accessories are transferrable. Maybe one of the cameta e-p2s?

• Like Like x 1
  16. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I vote for E-PL2 too. Can be found at good price, very nice grip, plenty of controls, art filters, etc.

17. pixl10

pixl10 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 31, 2011
    Phoenix AZ
    I find myself leaning to EpL2 only because accessories can be shared.I found a factory demo at cameta for $369 with one yr warranty. Never bought from them. Are they reliable?
    Thanks again to all the members.

18. jpstewarr19

jpstewarr19 New to Mu-43

Nov 21, 2011
    I just bought my 12yo daughter a barely used digital rebel 300d for $150. As a long time SLR user since my original pentax k1000, I love the portability and quality of my EP2 for me and with the Oly 45 and Panny 20, can't be beat.

However, I am going to try and teach her skills from the ground up, and still think a std SLR is better for entry level learning due to smaller, easier controlled focus points, no IS, and ready availability of inexpensive accessories such as tubes for macro and fixed focal lenses such as the 50mm 1.8.

That's my 2 cents anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  19. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I've never found the 20mm to be 'slow' focusing on Pana bodies. While it focuses slower than the 14mm (as an example) the rate of focus is still very acceptable.

G

• Like Like x 1