1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Which one for me?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Kpfeifle, Aug 6, 2016.

1. Kpfeifle

Kpfeifle Mu-43 Regular

Hi All,

I used to have quite a few micro 4/3 lenses, and an Olly Pl-5 and a Panny GX-7. Sold it all a while ago and moved in a different direction. After a few years, I'm thinking of moving back. Im more of a prime user, and I feel my choice would be the PL trio of 15, 25 and the 45.5 macro. I had owned the 25 before, and it was a special lens. I love how the PL's render. So, that decided, I need a body. Since neither of these three lenses are weather sealed, I figure I don't really need a sealed body.

My thoughts at this point are:
    GX85- Seems like a good 5 axis system, I like the removal of the low pass filter, think it might be a bit sharper then other cameras. I also really like the redesigned shutter, and feel that it's probably the best out there to prevent shutter shock. Price is 797 with the 12-32 kit lens.

Em 10 MK II- Cheaper at 599 with the 14-42 kit. Also good 5 axis. Really like the Live Time function, which I think I would use. For an extra 100, could get the 40-150 as well.

Some part of me believes their might be a little better synergy with a Panny body and lenses. The form factor is no big deal, I'm good with the rangefinder or slr format. The evf's seem about the same on these, I had no problem with the gx7 Finder, and am told it's the same one in the gx85. I might use the focus bracket feature on the 85, this would be nice on macro, but kind of a toss up between that and live time. I'm a stills photographer so the video really does not mean that much to me. What would you suggest?

Kevin

2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

If your main desire is to use the Panasonic lenses, I'd go with a GX85. AF will be better on the GX85 thanks to DFD pairing with Panasonic lenses. The grip is also better on the GX85. The EVF display is better on the E-M10 Mk2 but the GX85 has slightly higher magnification, if you found the GX7 one adequate it's about the same though.

3. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    G7 too big? It's my fav Pany. Don't own one, but whenever I'm in Best Buy I can't help go play with one.

4. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    The GX85 is the best all around deal in the format right now in my opinion, although the EM10 ii is probably there too... Although the way I look at the EM10 ii is, if you're not getting high res mode then you're not getting the best of Olympus right now. The GX85 gives you all of the bells and whistles of the GX8, just without some of the premium components, like super EVF and metal build. As well as extra dials and articulated LCD if you're into that.

With DfD focusing tech you are getting some synergy using a Panny body, not to mention the 15mm's aperture ring doesn't work with Oly.

5. Kpfeifle

Kpfeifle Mu-43 Regular

Thanks all, that was kind of my thinking. I'm firmly in the camp of tilt back screens, not fully articulated. That seems like more of a video thing to me. Does anybody know how the focus peaking is on the GX85? I have one legacy lens I would like to use, I'm guessing it would be no worse then the GX7, which I thought is pretty good.

6. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I don't think focus peaking has changed much, if at all, with Panasonic... Not for awhile anyway. I find it to be good, and exactly the same feeling on the GX85 as it is on the GM5. So, probably at least as good as the GX7.

7. wjiang

I like Olympus more for various other reasons, but Panasonic focus peaking and magnify assist are much better.

8. wjiang

The GX85 has IBIS in all modes, which is a first for Panasonic. Kind of kills one of the big differentiators of Olympus - if the next G8 has it too then there's not much going for mid tier Olympus cameras other than high resolution mode (the top tier at least has PDAF).

9. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Having owned both, and especially as a pair with the 25, I'd get an Olympus 60mm instead of the 45mm macro. I found it better in just about every way and you won't need the OIS if you get a GX85.

10. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    How could you ignore the famous Olympus menu system? :biggrin:
    Actually, I own bodies from both companies, but I strangely find that I have less hunting with my Olympus bodies. Then again, I came from Nikon DSLR's, so go figure.

--Ken

11. Kpfeifle

Kpfeifle Mu-43 Regular

Interesting, so you would go with a 15, 26, 60 trio? Or maybe leave the 60 as just a macro lens and add the Olly 45, which I used to own and is super sharp? Could probably find both used for the price of a new 45 macro!

12. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I've found over the past year it's come down more to form factor for me. I've found I prefer a rangefinder and tilt screen for what I use m4/3 to shoot.
    There are things I like about both Oly and Pan bodies. It might be:026: but let me select which screens display and allow the settings on Pan shooting information to be changed without popping to another screen (as the SCP allows) and I'd be very happy. But if form is not a deciding factor then you need to get down to specific features. The Live Time function and high resolution modes are two examples.

13. Mohun

Mohun Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2012

14. Mohun

Mohun Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2012
    It does, however, help to have an advanced degree from a prestigious mid-Western university to navigate the very sophisticated Olympus menu system.

15. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Or you could read the manual. o_O

--Ken

16. Kpfeifle

Kpfeifle Mu-43 Regular

Well decision made, got the Olympus EM 10 Mk II coming from a member here. Has the standard kit lens, so I'll use that for a bit before adding the primes. Thanks for all of your help, it feels good to be getting back into micro 4/3's!

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Mu-43 app

17. Mohun

Mohun Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2012
    I'm just starting out and this new GX85 seems to be a big step up from my Brownie Hawkeye. I could not find a definition of this what you call it Imogene.

18. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    From a Brownie Hawkeye to a GX85; are you sure there are no cameras in between? :hmmm:

--Ken

19. Mohun

Mohun Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2012
    Well, there were the odd Lumix Gs, Leica, Nikon, Vitessa, Retina, Argus, Clarus, Contax, Canon, Ikoflex and Rollei, but no more than two or three of each, and all much simpler than the GX85, and no Imogenes and no cocoas.[/QUOTE]

20. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    [/QUOTE]
    If the GX85 is too complicated, I have a GF-7 I'll trade you for it! :biggrin: But somehow I suspect that if you have survived Nikon menus, you can survive that compact little GX85.

--Ken