Which on to buy? E-P3 or E-PL5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Yorick43, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Yorick43

Yorick43 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2012
    Lake District, UK
    Yorick
    I'm about to buy either one.
    I don't really care about the "tilty swively" screen. Is the E-PL5 sensor that much better?
    I like the body size/ aesthetics of the E-P3 much better. (I've got fairly large hands).
    Please help me I'm lost! :biggrin:

2. nylife

nylife Mu-43 Regular

Jan 20, 2012
    e-pl5 has the same sensor as OMD, which is considered the best m43 sensor currently

3. Yorick43

Yorick43 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2012
    Lake District, UK
    Yorick
    I know that but how much better?

4. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Depends on the scene, dynamic range, amount of detail in shadows, etc., where the OM-D is visibly better. Not so much difference in sharpness.

5. pictor

pictor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    Significantly better. Just look at DxOMark to get an impression (the E-M5 has the same sensor as the E-PL5). All other tests I know show about the same difference.

6. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    If you shoot JPEGs and low ISO, not much. If you shoot RAW or high ISO, quite a bit. Particularly in contrasty scenes.

7. Yorick43

Yorick43 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2012
    Lake District, UK
    Yorick
    I like contrasty scenes so I think the E-PL5 would be a lot better then! That review on DxOMark is awesome! Thanks for that!

8. Bartle Frere

Bartle Frere Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 8, 2012
    London
    As I understand it (I've got an EP3 but haven't played with an E-PL5) The EP3 is much more hands-on, with extra dials and buttons to make controls more accessible. Whereas the E-PL5 is more streamlined, so if you want to do lots of fine-tuning, shooting manual, etc, you might find the EP3 more handy. Or you might want to wait until they update it. No idea when that'll be though...

But if you were planning to mostly use the auto settings, go for the E-PL5's better sensor.

Personally, I love the EP3's form and interface, and couldn't go back to a world with fewer buttons...

9. ccunningham

ccunningham Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I own an E-P2 and an E-M5, so while this is all a matter of opinion, I have actually used the 12MP sensor and the 16MP sensor.

The E-P2 sensor (which was the basis for and closely related to the E-P3 sensor) is fine if the light is good. I don't typically like the results if the light is not good, it can get pretty noisy. Even ISO 800 for this camera is sometimes a step too far. However I still like my E-P2 for some things, and it's a neat camera.

The E-M5 is loads better than in bad light, and some better in in good light. For me, the E-M5 looks better at 3200 in poor light than the E-P2 looks at 800 in the same light. From what I've read, you should expect the E-P3 to be almost imperceptibly better than the E-P2 in low light. The E-PL5 should have low light performance on par with the E-M5, which means it should be a visibly better than the E-P3. But again, if you're plans don't ever include low-light shooting, you might have some trouble seeing a huge difference between the E-PL5 and E-P3, it will depend on what you're planning to use it for.

TL;DR; - I really like my E-M5 in low-light so if it were me, I would buy the E-PL5 and learn it's controls as best I could. Having said that, I would still prefer the handling of the E-M5, it just really works well for me.

10. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I am leaning toward the E-PL5 but B&H says that is only available for "pre-order". Does anyone know when it will be shipped? I'd like to use it mid-December if it's available.

11. Yorick43

Yorick43 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2012
    Lake District, UK
    Yorick
    Amazon has it available.

12. svtquattro

svtquattro Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 24, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    Oh the difference is astounding. I moved from an E-P1 class sensor (E-620) to E-PM2.

Shooting with the PM2 is such a pleasure in moderate lighting. Auto ISO can ramp up to 3200 with no real problems (from my perspective)

Shooting indoors without flash is now possible. I also don't rely on IBIS as much either due to faster shutter speeds so more motion freeze capability.

Add the DR improvement and now I know what a 5D user has been enjoying the last 3-4 yrs!!

13. svtquattro

svtquattro Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 24, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    I should also say that even in good light, there are shadow areas and here the old sensor is n-o-i-s-y at ISO 400 even.

14. Having used the E-M5 and multiple variations of 12MP Pens, this would be a very easy decision for me. While the E-P3 is a nicer size to hold, has better controls including twin dials, and a bigger screen which makes framing and using the touchscreen easier, for my use the 16MP sensor was too big a step up from the 12MP sensor to ignore (regardless of the lighting conditions).

15. TheCreativeD00m

TheCreativeD00m Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2012
    Fort Worth, Tx
    yeah definitely the newer technology. I do love the way the old sensor renders colors its almost filmy, but the om-d's sensor is outstanding.

16. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I moved up from the E-PL2 to the E-PL5.
    Yes, the sensor is that much better.

17. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    If it were me (and later it will be) I'd just wait for the insides of the e-pL5 in the lovely body of the e-P3.

I'm currently mostly using the e-P1, e-P2 & e-pM1

18. Yorick43

Yorick43 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2012
    Lake District, UK
    Yorick
    I'd love to but is something I don't have a whole lot of! :biggrin:
    I'm going to Tenerife next month and I really want the new camera before that!

It's probably going to be the E-PL5 (or the E-M5 if I win the lottery). But that raises the next question; Silver or black? :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  19. TheCreativeD00m

TheCreativeD00m Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2012
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Silver is more of a nod to the old OM series

20. kilohotel

kilohotel New to Mu-43

Oct 15, 2012
    The EPL-5 has the same sensor as the EM5, but slightly different filter arrangement over it. Very comparable image quality though, and the EM5 is significantly better at high ISO than the EP3

Silver is classy; with the EP form factor silver all the way!