Which OM-D would you buy at current prices based on feature set?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by ean10775, Feb 3, 2014.

1. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    I'm considering a move back into m43 for a companion system to my FF Canon gear. I know that I want an EVF, live view exposure preview, IBIS and face detection AF. I love the EVF in the E-M1 and the ergonomics (being a taller guy with larger hands), but not the $1399 price point. Before the E-M10 was officially announced I figured an E-M5 would be the route to take, but not I think I'm leaning more toward the E-M10 for the better refresh rate on the EVF, the WiFi and the reportedly more responsive rear buttons. A used E-M5 is still a possibility (though the only reason would be the 5-axis IBIS and the stabilized view through the EVF that it gives), but with the pricing promotion Olympus now has with $100/$200 discounts on select lenses the E-M10 looks even more attractive (though the optional grip wouldn't be optional in my case - so that's a slight additional cost).

What are your thoughts? - If you were getting back into m43 (I only own an E-PL1, the kit lens and some legacy glass with adapters), which of the OM-D models would you go with based on current pricing Vs. feature set?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Being two years old, the E-M5 suffers in comparison to the newer models, not so much in basic specifications but rather in some firmware-based features. Some of these could probably be fixed with firmware updates if the E-M5 is to remain a current model for a while yet (and I don't see it being replaced anytime soon), but I wouldn't rely on them coming.

I feel that the bolter in amongst the OM-Ds is the Pen E-P5 assuming that you're happy with the external EVF. It is already "up to date" in terms of firmware, and boasts E-M1 features such as a high-res OLED screen, 1/8000 shutter, and one of the best EVFs in the business, none of which are found on the E-M5 or E-M10.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    If you cannot wait, and you want an OM-D body, then, as you know, you have three choices..You have listed most of the criteria for making a selection. The three additional questions that come to mind are:

Do you need a body that is splash-resistant?
    Do you need 5-way IBIS?
    Do you need an accessory port?

If none of these are needed, then you would probably be happy with the E-M10. And if not, it was half the cost of an E-M1, and it will hold value reasonably well for the near future because it has just been introduced. I am sure there are more factors to consider, but these three immediately came to mind.

Good luck,

--Ken

• Like Like x 1
  4. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Surely the E-M5 should now keep value better as it no longer has an inflated new product premium?

5. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    Since I also have an E-PL1, my move will be the E-M10 because it can use my extra BLS-1 batteries I have as confirmed by Robin Wong. I'm sure the E-M10 is a battery sucker, so using the same batteries as my E-PL1 is a plus for me. The faster EVF refresh rate and the WIFI feature is a must. I'm spoiled with my Coolpix AW110 which I use my iPad Mini with to control with to shoot on a boom (fully extended monopod) and also shoot underwater remote control (well not deep) or do STEALTH street photography, so I would LOVE to have the same functionality on the E-M10. The E-M5 does not have WIFI remote I believe, so it's out. The E-M1 is too expensive for me. I also shoot FF with Nikon gear so I don't want to add another pro body in the mix. The Olympus promotional is very tempting; probably the best deal to get a body and lens together!

6. Jay86

Jay86 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    IMO... E-M5 used market. You can find like new E-M5's for $500... amazing value for what they are. I found mine for $450 with a 700 shutter count and warranty still remaining.... I think its the best $450 I ever spent on any camera gear. Just my two cents as Im sure you will get lots of input on the new vs. new.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    That's true. A used or refurbished one would be even better. You might even be able to use it for a few months and get most of your money back if you do not mind buying/selling.

--Ken

8. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Eric, only you can place appropriate value on differences between the 10 and the 5, and even the E-P5. I'd be very tempted by the 10, but in the end I think I'd go with the E-M5 used. It is a ridiculous value at the moment.

• Like Like x 1
  9. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    For people who take pictures with their cameras, the biggest difference depends on whether or not they generally shoot JPGs. The new JPG processing chip and software in in the E-M1 & E-M10 fixes lens issues (CA/color fringing), more sophisticated sharpening, better AWB and more sophisticated sharpening. The in camera CA removal transforms the performance of some popular µ4/3 lenses that have CA/fringing issues.

• Like Like x 1
  10. rparmar

rparmar Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Limerick, Ireland
    Except that the E-M5 did get a firmware update to add ISO 100 and the small focus box, no doubt the two most important features. Surprising, yes, but it did happen!

11. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    If you can live without the WR and with the 3 axes IBIS, I would go for the EM10. It has the improved image engine and other little tweaks like a faster EVF. I would do this if the choice was mine. As I already have an EM5, I'm just staying pat.

12. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    Where did he say this? According the the Olympus Japan compatibility chart I thought this was not the case. If it is then great!

13. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    Thanks for all the responses. I know these 'which should I get' threads are in many ways pointless since everyone has their own needs, but sometimes they bring up things the OP may not have considered.

The E-P5 is a good suggestion, but I'm definitely not interested in another PEN body just because I want to be able to trigger off camera flash using Cybersyncs and still want an EVF.

I agree that a used E-M5 is an incredible value, but if I plan on picking up one or two lenses with the camera, I'll need to calculate whether or not the lens discounts make an E-M10 a better value for me. If I already had a stable of m43 lenses I'd definitely go for an E-M5 based on the prices used bodies are going for these days.

Thank you all for your thoughts.

14. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    I also noticed that as well, but reading Robin Wong's blog when someone who had an E-PL1 asked if the battery is compatible and he said yes. I have no reasons to doubt Mr. Wong as he works for Olympus, but I would also be curious if it's true. This is actually, to me, the major selling point of the E-M10. I have a number of Olympus made BLS-1 batteries and I don't want to carry different charges and batteries for 2 bodies or 3 bodies including my Coolpix A or worse 4 bodies with my underwater cam. :eek:

15. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Note that you can often find the lenses for lower prices (even counting the discounts) refurbished (or for that matter used, if warranty is no concern). So depending on the lenses you want, it may still be less expensive to go with the used E-M5. I think the E-M5 at ~$500 secondhand is one of the biggest bargains out there, but I'm biased...

• Like Like x 1
  16. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Many of us enjoy these threads. It's the web equivalent of the vicarious thrill of window shopping.

• Like Like x 5
  17. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    You know what? The truth is, most of us would like the E-M1. But for those who find that camera too expensive and/or not right for us ergnomically, the right option is probably an E-M5 - when it's finally updated and brought into line with both the E-M1 and E-M10. But here's something to think about: What if there will be no update or replacement for the E-M5? Look at the features of the E-M1 and E-M10. Now, what if you updated the E-M5 with everything the E-M10 now has that's better? How much real difference would there between the new camera and the E-M1? Not much, methinks. So why should Oly make it? If the E-M5 eventually disappears, Oly's OM-D lineup makes sense. The E-M10 is a great little camera, but if you need weather-resistance and five-axis stabilization, you have something to aspire to - and motivation to eventually buy it. Just me thinking aloud. Feel free to disagree.

• Like Like x 1
  18. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I don't get the excitement about the EM10. 5 axis IBIS is an Olympus only feature that really separates it from the pack… but its gone. When the EM5 came out, the sensor was significantly better than everything else in m43… but the EM10 has an old sensor. WiFi is great, and an improved image processor is always welcome… but it seems like I'm the only one who sees the EM10 as a second tier camera the same way the G6 is for Panasonic. The EM10 looks like a nice camera, I'm sure it will produce beautiful files, and it's great to have an entry level Olympus with an EVF, but I don't see anything there that makes it stand out.

I would look at EM5 or GX7 before the EM10... and if I liked the EM10, I would make sure to look at the G6 before I bought.

Edit: I just read about the EM10s "Live Composite" which sounds cool. I might not understand this accurately, but it sounds like you can get different exposures on different parts of the sensor in one long exposure shot. Its not something you would use all the time, but if astrophotography or long exposure night shots are your thing, it a great feature

• Like Like x 1
  19. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    In my mind the standout features over the E-M5 are:

1. the faster refresh rate of the EVF, eyepoint and eye cup design (I'd have to try the EVF before I could say for certain, but on paper they all seem beneficial to me as I wear glasses and like to shoot MF glass

2. WiFi - my wife often complains that it takes me too long to 'process' photos of our daughter and she'd like to simply have them on her phone to post on facebook

3. Focus peaking - again nice to have for MF lenses (even if Olympus's isn't the best implementation I've seen and wreaks havoc on the refresh rate of the EVF), though I understand it may appear in a future E-M5 update.

4. Built-in flash - I won't use it, but some may see it as valuable for a bit of on axis fill without needing to carry a clip on unit

5. Improved tactile feedback on the rear buttons

6. Larger shutter button and revised control dial size/placement (for those of us with larger hands this might improve ergonomics though again I'd need to try it to be sure seeing as the camera itself is a bit smaller than the E-M5

7. Improved LCD resolution - maybe its better/maybe its worse than the E-M5. Again, I'd need to try it, but I know for certain I dislike OLED EVFs (at least those on the NEX-7 and X-E1/X-E2).

To me, the only downsides to the E-M10 are the 3-Axis vs 5-Axis stabilization (which reportedly isn't a huge difference at least from the reviews I've read) and the lack of weather sealing (which isn't a huge issue for me as I'm unlikely to buy any of the weather sealed lenses). What am I missing?

• Like Like x 1
  20. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    My point exactly!! That is close to same list of upgrades we saw on the G6!

When it comes to making files, both have been slightly gimped from their big brothers (EM10 has a bit worse IBIS than the EM5/EM1 and an older sensor than the EM1, G6 has an older sensor than the GH3). Both are very good cameras, with new features that increase usability over previous models, but they are both second tier models. Unless you NEED wifi or built in flash, you seem much better off with the discounted EM5 than the just released full price EM10. And to be honest, unless you do a lot of street, nighttime, or low light indoor stuff (where the EM5s 5 axis IBIS stands out), the GX7 is far better at close to the same price.