1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

which Olympus has silent shutter

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by David, Oct 13, 2012.

1. David

David Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2011
    Sydney
    I was recent on holiday shooting inside a shop and the shopkeeper ask me
    not to photography my wife even though I was taking her photo after he heard
    my EPM1 taking a photo.

so I am thinking of buying my next Oly.But prefer something with silent shutter.
    does EP3, EPL5 or OMD have silent shutter? My GRD and Panasonic LX3 both
    are totally silent setting.

thanks in advance
    David

2. marcl

marcl Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2012
    The OMD is pretty comparable to the E-PM1 if I recall well.

3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    No. All focal plane shutters, like the ones in Olympus m4/3 cameras, make some noise.

The only m4/3 camera that can be truly silent is the Panasonic G5, thanks to an electronic shutter mode.

If you're looking at compact digicams, there are some fairly quiet Olympuses - the XZ-1 and XZ-2 - but neither is totally silent either (but neither are the LX5 or GRD in my experience).

4. greyelm

greyelm Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2010
    London
    Malcolm
    If you want a fully stealth mode then check out the Fujifilm X100. No shutter sound, no AF beeps, no flash and no AF assist light.

• Like Like x 1
  5. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    Having both cameras, the OM-D shutter is audibly more subtle and "subdued".

• Like Like x 1
  6. marcl

marcl Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2012
    You're right: the shutter of the E-M5 sounds so nice.

7. With_Eyes_Unclouded

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    In fact, it has been suggested that the sound of the E-M5 shutter was somewhat "modelled" upon the Leica shutter sound, with some going as far as to suggest it has some kind of electronic component. I have only once used a Leica and cannot accept or dismiss this argument.

It does sounds super sexy though. :biggrin:

8. David

David Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2011
    Sydney
    I come from the old film days with Nikon FM etc. May be I just have to settle
    with a more subdue OMD or the Panny G5 .

9. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I come from film too...I've got a REALLY LOUD Nikon N6006 and a super quiet Yashico Electro 35 GSN

And there's my Contax G1 :smile:

10. With_Eyes_Unclouded

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    The most absolutely unbelievably silent shutter I have personally used belongs to the Oly 35RC. I'm not sure it's even possible to make it more silent, except if it's totally electronic.

11. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The original Leica had horizontal cloth shutters..... so I highly doubt it. They were very quiet.

The OMD's shutter is quieter than my Leica M9/M8 which are now equipped with electro-mechanical vertical metal shutters which are manufactured by someone outside of Leica (can't remember the manufacturer name though.. very popular manufacturer).

One of the main reasons why they are no longer use cloth shutters was the sync speed.

[EDIT]
    Just remembered the manufacturer of the Leica shutters; Copal.

• Like Like x 1
  12. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    The E-M5 shutter sound is nice. Esp compared to other m4/3 bodies which always sound sort of like they are wheezing. Fuji X10 is totally silent. Aren't all P&S able to go silent?

13. With_Eyes_Unclouded

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    Any camera with no mechanical shutter at all can theoretically go totally silent, but I suspect no sound at all plus no tactile feel on the shutter button would be rather confusing.

14. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    It's not the noise they objected to, it's that you're taking pictures inside their store, their private property. I work at a store that has signs out including one on the front door that photography is not allowed. Even if you are holding a cellphone in such a way that it looks like you are using it to take a photo you would be asked to put it away, or leave the store. There have been times we have allowed photography of our displays, but only if you have ASKED FIRST!