Which Olympus cameras fix chromatic aberration in the camera?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Growltiger, Jun 7, 2016.

1. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    I have read that the E-M1 was the first Olympus camera to include automatic chromatic aberration correction. This appears to be true and I'll describe my tests below.

Note that this feature applies to RAW files as well as JPGs. In the case of RAW files the correction made by the camera is simply to include the correction data in the ORF file, so it can be used automatically by various programs.

My question is which other Olympus cameras do it?
    • E-M5 II?
    • E-M10 II?
    • Pen F?
    I used the M.Zuiko 9-18 lens, which at 9mm has very clear chromatic aberration in the corners, so useful for testing.

• JPG files show no aberration.
    • ORF files opened in ACR show no aberration (showing that the ORF file contains the information needed for ACR or Lightroom to make the correction automatically - as with distortion correction it is not possible to turn this correction off in ACR).
    • ORF files opened in Olympus Viewer show no aberration.

Pen E-P5 (i.e. an older camera)
    • JPG files show aberration.
    • ORF files opened in ACR show aberration.
    • ORF files opened in Olympus Viewer show aberration.
    In case it is helpful to anyone with an old model of camera that doesn't do it, here are the approximate settings to remove the aberration for this lens at 9mm.
    In ACR
    Lens Corrections/Color
    Remove Chromatic Aberration: Tick (it fixes lateral aberration only)
    Purple Amount: 3
    Purple Hue: Leave at 30/70
    Green Amount: 3
    Green Hue: Change from 40/60 to 40/75
    In Photoshop
    Filter/Camera Raw Filter then same as above.
    In Olympus Viewer
    RAW/Aberration Comp.
    Chromatic Aberration R/C: -30
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. yendikeno

yendikeno Mu-43 Regular

Sep 5, 2015
    Good info - thanks.
  3. Machi

Machi Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2015
    According to most sources, cameras with TruePic VII processing engine correct some aberrations (including chromatic aberr.).
    TruePic VII is in the Pen E-PL7, OM-D E-M1, OM-D E-M10, OM-D E-M10 Mark II, OM-D E-M5 Mark II and PEN-F.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    Thanks, that makes perfect sense. This seems quite important to me, it means that it isn't such a good idea to buy an older camera that isn't on that list, if you have any lenses that have chromatic aberration.

The Pro lenses seem very good regarding aberration, I have tried the 7-14 and the 12-40 with my older E-P5 and don't see any chromatic aberration. But the 9-18 has it quite badly. But when the 9-18 is on the E-M1 the correction is perfect - no sign of aberration at all.

So I wish I had a Pen F instead of the Pen E-P5.