Which Olympus camera body to get? Will sell GH2 body.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Shield, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Shield

Shield Mu-43 Regular

Jul 11, 2011
    Worthington Ohio
    I am unimpressed with the jpg output of the GH2; I am not the type of guy that wants to spend a bunch of time doing color correcting. My wife has a Gf2, I have two Gh2's. I could sell my spare GH2 and get a m/43'rds Olympus body since I'm very heavily invested in m/43rds lenses. I just want the best jpg output, as I generally just shoot the kids (sometimes I wish! :)) and then play it back on the TV. Having to color correct spoils the moment and wastes time.

Let me know what you guys think. I will of course read up on this and do searches.

Thanks again!
    Shawn

2. Shield

Shield Mu-43 Regular

Jul 11, 2011
    Worthington Ohio
    Also, I would love to have a viewfinder as I use it quite often especially during sunny days.

3. Dawindyk

Dawindyk New to Mu-43

Sep 11, 2011
    What exactly do You expect other than better jpeg? You can buy EP3, EPL3 or Pana G3 ( which has much better jpg's than GH2). If You can define your needs better then it will be easier to pick the best one

4. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    If you want the best jpeg output, I'd say Olympus new cameras are the bomb in that regard witb outstanding AWB performance even under challenging artificial light. I owned G3 for a while, its jpegs don't even come close! Yes, it's a bummer to use VF-2/3 but great color and detail right out of camera well worth it, IMO.

5. Shield

Shield Mu-43 Regular

Jul 11, 2011
    Worthington Ohio
    Better skin tones. I forgot about the G3, but have always been interested in Olympus as well. Really that's it; it's that simple.

6. Shield

Shield Mu-43 Regular

Jul 11, 2011
    Worthington Ohio
    VF-2/3? I need to do some reading...Also I forgot - if the camera had the ETC mode that'd be great too, and could work with the 100-300mm lens.

7. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    External viewfinder for Olympus VF-2 (higher resolution) and VF-3. Yes all new Oly E-P3/PL3/PM1 have ETC and you can assign one of the buttons for direct access to it.

8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The VF-2 is an outstanding viewfinder, 1.44 million dots like the best Panasonic EVFs. Its only disadvantage to the Panasonic viewfinders is that it takes over the hotshoe (so when using flash you either use the LCD or you trigger external flashes with the built-in Remote Flash Commander to trigger optical slaves or R-series wireless flashes). Its advantages over the Panasonic is that it has a variable angle up to 90 degrees, and is not permanently and obtrusively attached, allowing for more compact packing and classier looks.

9. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    I have much the same issue at the moment. Because of illness and lack of fitness I'm considering trading in my E-3 and lenses to go fully MFT. I have a G1, the form factor of which I very much like. The front dial does give me problems but this issue was resolved on the G2/GH2 by moving the dial to the back and it's very tempting to go that route. However, the JPEGs from the G1are absolute pants and I keep hearing that this is an ongoing issue in later models.

I also have an E-PL1 and like all Olympus cameras the JPEGs are fantastic, probably the best of any manufacturer. However, it doesn't handle brilliantly, is not a fast camera and focus is somewhat slow. As a back-up to the E-3 and lightweight walkabout alternative it's fine, but not for a main camera.

I had hands on with an E-P3 when first released at an Olympus event in conjunction with E-System User Group and was mightily impressed. Slick handling, fast (super fast!) focusing, fantastic new rear screen with neat focus point touch selection, a really effective optional large grip that helped my disability no end and it oozed quality and felt so good in the hand.

The drawback is no integral EVF. Ned (Hi Ned!) makes some good points about the advantages of a detachable EVF but I'd still rather have one built in, plus it adds to the cost. Oh yes, the cost - that's a big issue for me. My local store is doing the GH2 body at £600 compared to £700 for the E-P3 and then its another £180 for the VF-2!

But wait! I notice the same store are doing the E-P3 twin lens kit (I want those lenses anyway) for £915 which suddenly looks more affordable.

Another issue is that the Olympus sensor, although apparently new, is still the basic one that has been used for about 3 years over several generations of cameras. The mitigating factor is that the TruePic VI processor is now so refined it almost does seem like a new sensor. Still only 12mp though. "Only" 12mp ?! How big do we need to go? My 10mp E-3 does 16x12 prints with ease and I recently did a 24 inch canvas - don't think I want to go much bigger to be honest. More mp needs more processing power and hard disk space on the computer, plus the smaller pixel pitch results in diffraction setting in at a slightly wider aperture which is not good when you want large DOF for landscapes.

So to conclude, if you can't accept Panny JPEGs give the E-P3 a try if you can afford it. If not, the E-PL3 is not a bad alternative! I think that's the route I will eventually go. :smile:

10. Dawindyk

Dawindyk New to Mu-43

Sep 11, 2011
    I see nothing outstanding with newest olympus'es AWB - it has the same kind of issues with artificial light as their predecessors had ( yellow cast - g3 has it as well but to lesser extent). EP3 has a more slick body ( preffered by some ) and IBIS - on a downside it's more expensive, has to use VF2/3 (which makes it even more expensive and blocks hot shoe), has a worse sensor and is missing ETC. Though I have both I use G3 more - Olympus gets it's use with my legacy lenses. As for jpg's quality for me it's comparable - different but I see no advantage of Olympus

11. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    AWB is extremely good if you set "keep warm" off in the menu. G3 doesn't even come close (I've had that camera). All new Oly bodies have ETC which can be assigned to a dedicated button.

12. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    +1 mine's defaulted warm. Switched it off and perfect.

13. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    "Obtrusive" and "classier" are in the eye of the beholder. I might look at the E-P3 and say that it appears someone chopped off the viewfinder...:biggrin:

14. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    I wish people would post pictures that illustrate their frustrations with their current camera... I am making a wild guess here... but I am guessing that issues you have with your images are more down to unrealistic expectations or less than optimal technique

still ...if you have a GH2 you don't want/need I might be interested

K

15. Shield

Shield Mu-43 Regular

Jul 11, 2011
    Worthington Ohio
    Hey, not after you just insulted my picture taking technique! :biggrin:

16. Shield

Shield Mu-43 Regular

Jul 11, 2011
    Worthington Ohio
    Ok, this is what I'm talking about. This was shot with the new 25mm, f 1.4, indoor, no flash. The 2nd picture is after spending about 3 minutes with it in lightroom. Which looks more normal to you?

Attached Files:

17. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Neither. The first one is too magenta and the second one — too yellowy-green.

18. Shield

Shield Mu-43 Regular

Jul 11, 2011
    Worthington Ohio
    My son is yellowy-green.:eek:

• Like Like x 1
  19. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    At least that's what he looks like on my color-calibrated screen. :wink: