Which Olympus 17mm lens?

RAH

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rich
I agree that it is better to buy an Oly refurbished lens or camera than a used one, and probably worth a little more money. However, I think you only get a 90 day Oly guarantee , not a "full" one. I bought my E-M10 MarkII a few years ago from Oly as a refurb and seem to remember being concerned aobut the shorter warranty.

bargainguy

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Don
I own the Olympus 17/1.8, the P20, and the Sigma 16/1.4.

The pick of the litter for size/performance/price is the 17/1.8. Weighs next to nothing and takes up very little room in my bag. In fact, I keep it in the battery flap of my bag, not in the lens section.

If I need the best IQ wide open - especially night shots - I reach for the Sigma. Not that often, though, because the Sigma is huge compared to the 17/1.8, and the weight difference is quite noticeable.

My P20 doesn't seem quite as sharp in the corners as the 17/1.8 at similar apertures. It's more of a grab-shot lens for me.

Real Name
Roel
Good recommendations regarding other lenses to consider.. but the FoV would be the first thing I consider when looking at a new lens. I do love the P20 for it's rendering but its FoV is quite a bit different vs a 17mm on m43. A 16mm vs 17mm, however, would be comparable enough to look into lens performance IMHO.

Moula

Mu-43 Regular
I agree that it is better to buy an Oly refurbished lens or camera than a used one, and probably worth a little more money. However, I think you only get a 90 day Oly guarantee , not a "full" one. I bought my E-M10 MarkII a few years ago from Oly as a refurb and seem to remember being concerned aobut the shorter warranty.
I had full 24 month (by law) + 6 additional month after registration at Olympus on my 17/1.8. Probably coutry specific.

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
the PL15 might be worth considering if you want wider than the 17's but think 12 isn't general purpose enough. its also a great lens optically, probably my favourite.

i actually dont mind the 17/2.8 . its small and has its own look in rendering. sharpness isnt always everything.
I don't mind it either, at all. The 17mm f2.8 is almost like a Lomo lens - it's not sharp but the colors are good and the overall macrocontrast is really nice. Images it makes are what I would call filmic, i.e. they feel like they have some texture, especially in high ISO.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom