Which Olympus 17mm lens?

rloewy

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ron
I had a 17 2.8 for a very short time - the copy I had was rather poor optically. The 1.8 is much better in my experience (still not as sharp as say, the P20 - but a good lens).

rloewy

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ron
Correct. There are some downsides to that lens - focus is not as fast, especially on Olympus bodies - and it hunts a bit in low light. I still own both these lens and like them both, but I find out that I am using the P20 more (at least on my copies, the P20 is amazingly sharp, way more than it should be for such a tiny lens).

It really comes to your preferences. The O17 1.8 is a very good lens, but the P20 for me at least feels like it punches way above it's weight class.

Leo_B

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Leo
I think I'm leaning toward sticking with Olympus lenses on the theory they will likely work best on the Olympus body. I'm debating between wide and fast. I'd like to have wide for local Friday night car shows in Lowe's parking lot. There are times when you barely have more room than the space you are standing in to get a shot, so wide would really help. That has me debating 12f2 or 9-18. But 17f1.8 gives me fast like the 12 at a lot lower cost.

rloewy

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ron
I think I'm leaning toward sticking with Olympus lenses on the theory they will likely work best on the Olympus body. I'm debating between wide and fast. I'd like to have wide for local Friday night car shows in Lowe's parking lot. There are times when you barely have more room than the space you are standing in to get a shot, so wide would really help. That has me debating 12f2 or 9-18. But 17f1.8 gives me fast like the 12 at a lot lower cost.
Whichever way you go - share your photos with us on one of the cars / trucks threads.

zzffnn

Mu-43 Veteran
O17/1.8 providesfield of view than P20/1.7. For your stated application, I will recommend O17.

Also P20 likely won't focus as fast as O17 on E-M10 Mk2. If you have an E-M1 mk1 or mk2, P20 may focus quickly.

But your kit zoom O14-42 will work great (and allow you to go very wide at 14mm), if you can use off-camera flash. Godox TT685o or TT350o + remote or TT350+TT685 will work very well. Depending on the light condition, you may need to diffuser the flash or use their high speed sync mode.

Leo_B

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Leo
Yes, at least initially I'd use the 14-42 since it goes wider and offers the zoom benefit. I probably wouldn't change from it unless I get either a 12-xx zoom or the 9-18 zoom or 12f2. Well, I take that back, once I get the 17f1.8 and we get past the time change I may use it more since it will be dark so much earlier.

Real Name
Greg
I’ve had both and much prefer the 1.8. The 2.8 is not a terrible lens but it’s not spectacular either. It is however very small. The 1.8 is not a lot bigger though and is arguably spectacular.

Thai-Mike

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Michael
I had both and was so happy that I got the 1.8. Color rendering is just wonderful

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom