1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Which OLY Backup for EM-1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Dennis Mansour, Jul 12, 2015.

1. Dennis Mansour

Dennis Mansour Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2015
    dennis
    I have the EM-1 now with 75 f1.8 and 20-40 f2.8 zoom I would like to shoot with 2 cameras so I dont have to change lenses. I would like to save some money and Not buy another EM-1 if I dont have to, What about the PEN-cameras ??

2. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

What are your requirements (eg - does it need 3 or 5 axis IBIS, does it need a flash, be any particular size)? Any price range? If you're specifically looking at PENs - the PM2 will be the smallest and likely cheapest with a similar class 16mpx sensor, the PL-7 will (barring deals) likely be the cheapest with decent (E-M10 equivalent) 3 axis IBIS, the E-P5 has 5 axis IBIS, an inbuilt flash and the faster shutter/flash sync speed of the M1.

Outside of the PEN range - you can find deals on new E-M5s very cheap lately if you're prepared to wait to find one. If you're prepared to look at Panasonic bodies and prepared to hunt for deals, you can likely find a G6 or GX7 fairly cheap too.

3. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    Maria
    I'd go with the em5. Same image quality but more important , the same battery.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Dennis Mansour

Jun 22, 2015
    dennis
    I do some weddings, Portraits, Family groups. I use off camera flash and at times on Camera flash all with diffusers. Thank you
    How is the EM-5 ? I read some no so good feedback on this. I know everyone has their own opinion BUT I think it has some real good Image quality. Thanks

Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
  5. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Vote for the same battery.. EM5.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. RamblinR

Aug 16, 2012
    Maria
    I find the image quality of the EM5 to be the same as the EM1. I use my EM5 as a backup to my EM1 as I had purchased it first. It's most important to have the same battery so that when you are out and about you are not carrying different batteries and also different chargers if travelling.

Things I prefer about the EM1:
    Nicer to hold (although I do have a JBL grip on my EM5 which is better)
    Buttons are better placed
    Can review images through the EVF (apparently possible with the EM5 but a nightmare to get to so not really useable)

7. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

Just to point out, the E-P5 uses the same BLN-1 battery as the E-M5 and E-M1. The E-M5 also doesn't have the 0sec antishock update (image quality from the sensors is very similar, but shutter shock is the single biggie deleterious thing for image quality on the PM2/EM5/PL5 & 6), it has ... actually I don't have the camera so I'm just going from other people's reports, but it seems like 1/160 or 1/200 is the max sync for RC and 1/200 or 1/250 is the max for the clip on flash? E-P5 has 1/320 sync with the inbuilt flash and 1/250 RC sync from it, the E-M5 caps out at 1/4000 shutter rather than 1/8000, and the E-M5 doesn't have inbuilt wifi.

Only real drawbacks of the E-P5 are you give up the EVF (though you can add a better one than the E-M5's if you want), it's not weather sealed, and you give up being able to use both an EVF and a radio flash trigger or other hotshoe occupying thing.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
  8. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

To follow up my preivous post... my first choice in a second camera is the same camera as the primary. Battery, operation, and settings can be made the same. No mental switching between cameras. So although I voted for the EM5 my first recommendation would be the EM1.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. cyrax83

cyrax83 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2014
    I bought a really cheap E-M5 Mk1 as a backup and when I want to use a second body.

Great that it uses the same battery

10. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I don't have an E-M1, how much difference is there in the UI between the E-M1 and E-M5?

11. Dennis Mansour

Jun 22, 2015
    dennis
    I don't think that much. It makes sense to stay with same Body. I will Thank you all for your input

12. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    My biggest question is AF. The E-M1 is different than the rest with it's phase ability. For events that question is probably a bigger issue then weather sealing, battery compatibility, etc. If it won't do the job the rest doesn't matter. If that's not an issue and you don't want to get the same body for ease of swapping between the two then you need to make a list of what features you want in the second body.

Better Video - E-M5 mII or Panasonic
    Same Batteries - E-M5 / mII / E-P5
    Advance Photo ability - 1/8000 or higher shutter, 5 axis, etc
    Size - E-M10, E-P5, maybe a GM1/5

I've been in the camp of two of the same bodies and two bodies that are complimentary at different times. Complimentary bodies; each could do the job, but each offers something the other doesn't.

13. c0ldc0ne

c0ldc0ne Mu-43 Regular

Oct 9, 2012
    Complimentary bodies? I must have missed that particular Olympus deal.

14. StefanKruse

StefanKruse Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2015
    Denmark
    Stefan
    If me I would opt for a second body that offered something different than EM-1. For me that would be a smaller camera which could serve as a quick-grab pocket camera (or great for video), fit for the occassions where an EM-1 just isnt practical. But then as you want to pair it agaisnst your 12-40 and/or 75 then I would not go with something to small. I think the 12-40 would balance very poorly on a Pen. Same battery is definately a major positive.

15. c0ldc0ne

c0ldc0ne Mu-43 Regular

Oct 9, 2012
    Not as long as you support it at the center of gravity.

16. saladin

saladin Mu-43 Veteran

May 29, 2015
    jason
    I have the em1 and em5. I got the five first, the one very recently. I actually like the smaller size that the em5 grants at times and for that reason the 12-40 has never been on it. Having three batteries for two cameras is great.

If i had an Em1 first, i would probably get a Gx7 as my second 4/3's body. I really like the styling, shape, VF location and general fun of that camera.

But if i was shooting seriously, amatuer photojournalism or paid work, i'd just get another Em1.

Oh, and check out the featured thread "Wedding" for a true example of how incredibly good the em5 and ep5 can be. Personally, i like a built in VF, but that thread shows that the Pens give nothing away in IQ.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  17. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    I have the E-P5 as emergency backup for my E-M1. Same battery and very small and light. Works perfectly with the 12-40, 75-300 etc.

But if I wanted to use two cameras I would simply get another E-M1.

18. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Sorry, I missed auto correct. I was typing on a tablet.

19. RamblinR

Aug 16, 2012
    Maria
    I agree with those that say get the same camera body. I do video and use 2 em1's for the hand held shooting and an em5 on a tripod for continuous video (well 25 minutes anyway before it stops). I prefer to have my cameras handle the same but the em5 is a good camera as a cheaper backup.

20. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Do you mostly use the EVF? If so, then the Em5. Refurbs from Oly during sale periods (15-20%) are the great if you can wait, or there are some great used deals out there.