1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Which old PEN?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by demiro, Nov 2, 2012.

1. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Let's say you were planning to buy a sort of secondary body and leave the PL 25/1.4 perma-mounted on it as a fixed focal length camera. You care about IQ, of course, but you also want minimal cost. You want an Olympus body, as your preference is SOOC JPEGs (no offense Panny shooters!). Best low light performance is a plus, as this will get a workout indoors over the dark winter months in the northeast US.

Which "old" body would you choose and why?

E-PL1 for $120
    E-PL2 for $160
    E-PL3 for $220
    E-P3 for $400

2. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    From your list E-P3, only one on your list that I liked, others were all cumbersome when it comes to controls or lack there of, need the rear wheel not the useless dial or buttons. My other choice would be E-PM1, if I could get past the lack of external controls. Better build than any of E-PLx models, better value, pocketable until you put a 25 on it.

3. demiro

Nov 7, 2010
    I had and liked the E-PM1, but really didn't like how it handled with the 25/1.4.

4. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Since you are wanting good low light performance the E-PL1 and 2 are out!{even though I love mine for day use}. They lack an AF assist light and I can tell you that low light AF is the biggest downfall of these two bodies!

Where are you getting an E-P3 for $400??? Please share!

5. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Then you're not going to like the E-PL3, which is pretty much identical in size/handling.

I suppose that leaves the E-P3 as the others are much weaker when it comes to low light AF.

6. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I would try the E-PL1...it's a second body. If you don't like it, resell it for cost and you're just out the shipping. The E-P3 is a FANTASTIC camera....a real stunner. But it's 3 1/2 times the price of the E-PL1 (and it's your second body). If you can swing the $400 and it doesn't bother you, go for it.

7. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    I'd go for the EPL2. It has the same sensor as the others, is far cheaper than the 3 series, has sufficient controls and a built-in flash. It's worth pointing out that I still haven't seen any reason to upgrade from my EPL2 as I like it so much...

8. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Two words. Touch screen.

• Like Like x 1
  9. demiro

Nov 7, 2010
    You can pick up a factory demo E-P3 on Cameta for $480 with a 14-42II. Sell the lens for $80 and you have a $400 body.

10. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    I guess it depends on how much you want to spend/save, since it will just be your second body. For the small price difference the E-PL2 seems like a no-brainer over the E-PL1. I do love my E-P3 though...

11. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I already have an E-P3 so I would go for the E-PL3 as a second body. Same sensor, excellent price and a tilt screen for low angle shots. Best bang for the buck. I've actually been considering an offer to trade my 20mm for an E-PL3 with kit lens for just that reason. :cool:

12. brianb032

brianb032 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2011
    N.Carolina
    I would go for an E-P3. The LCD is sharp, bright, and a joy to compose with. The IBIS seems to be more consistant according to user reports. (I've never had the E-PL1 long enough to really know its ins and outs.) It doesn't have that annoying bulging lens mount design like the E-PL3/E-PM1 which will make your kit look outright off-balanced and horrendous. (To me at least. ^_^) And, surprisingly, the capacitive touch-screen is super handy. Oh, and I forgot to mention that its a really snappy camera too.

From personal experience, I can only find two things wrong with the E-P3; the sensor isn't as good as an OM-D (duh), and the digital IBIS in the video footage makes it a poor loaner camera for others who don't know that IBIS should be off before recording. Other than that, I find it the best compromise among your choices.

13. lstzephyr

lstzephyr Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2011
    Cameta had ep2s for under 200$ last time I looked. It seems to me that would be a good middle ground.

14. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    If I were to get a used Pen it would be the E-P3. I quite enjoyed using that camera. It was fast, the AF was good, the OLED screen was terrific and it was pretty darned comfortable when you attached the larger grip. As nice as the E-PM1 and E-PL3 are I found them too small for my hands and I think the E-P3 is a big step up from the PL2 and PL1. FWIW I think you can find a used P3 for less than $400.

15. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    I vote E-PL2. As ssgreenly noted, same sensor as E-P3, far cheaper, sufficiently fast focusing, sufficient controls, has built in flash and the LCD produces more realistic colors than OLED screen of the E-P3, especially when viewed from an angle.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    Tilt screen, for the win!

Seriously, after using one I cannot go back to no tilt.

17. demiro

Nov 7, 2010
    I went with the majority here. Should have my E-P3 in a few days. Some good reasons were stated here for it, and in all honesty, I've always wanted to try one.

I am proud of the brevity of my decision-making process. If only our presidential selection process could be a bit more like buying a PEN.

Thanks to all for the votes and comments.

18. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Grats! I'm sure you'll enjoy your new E-P3!