Which "old" glas for black and white ?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by mgr, Sep 4, 2012.

1. mgr

mgr Mu-43 Regular

I like to work with old glases like Pentax Takumar and Olympus OM glases.
    They have a unique charm and each of delivers it's own identidy.

Are there any experiences which of the older types and brands gives
    special good results for black and white shootings ?

Which one's do you prefer ?

I think more of landscape picture's than portraits, so it should be in
    the range of max 35mm or wider.

Thanks for sharing your experience

2. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

35mm equiv focal length = 17.5mm or wider on our 2x crop. Its going to be difficult to find vintage that is wider than that nor will it be cost effective.

I think you are better off with native glass.... at those focal lengths.

If you like the older vintage look, I would recommend looking for glass that pre-dates multi-coatings. I'm biased towards Takumars.
  3. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    +1 - Hard to find wide lenses in legacy. Lots of nice OM lenses out there, but nothing really wide that's cost effective compared to native glass.
  4. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    Wide angle legacy with 35mm lenses is a bad choice. Uncoated 16mm c-mount, or d-mount movie lenses are what you're looking for, but you better be ready for some flare and aberrations depending on the lens, and prices from $10 to sky high. Avoid the S-mount which is a common Kodak mount on older cheaper Kodak's.
  5. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    i've been looking for a 12-4mm legacy glass that is cost-effective and you are right. it's not easy nor cheap :frown:
  6. McBob

McBob Mu-43 Regular

Apr 22, 2012
    You may be able to find a OM Zuiko 21/3.5 for a reasonable price. You probably won't find a 21/2 for a reasonable price. That would at least get you in the neighborhood of wide. Both are excellent lenses.
  7. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    That's one of the reasons I picked up a NEX. I really like legacy glass and finding something that gave you close to 35mm was not even remotely affordable. On my NEX I have a lovely Konica 24/2.8 that gives me a really nice 36/2.8 (with decent close focuses to boot). Mind you I like my GX1, PL25 and PL45 quite a lot but I think I spent less on the NEX and Konica lens than I would have on a UWA legacy lens for my GX1. If you want WA on m43 I think native glass is a much simpler solution.
  8. heedpantsnow

heedpantsnow Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 24, 2011
    I am in agreement; if you're looking for a native 50, 75, 80, 90, and up, there are plenty of amazing legacy options for B&W at prices from "yay" to "omagosh". Under 35mm native (still 70 effective FOV), it's very hard.
  9. dbuckle

dbuckle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

You can get something like the Vivitar 19mm 3.8. I saw one last week for under $70. It is a big piece of Glass. Then again you don.t need a wide lens if you have a program like PS. Taken with a 50mm 1.4 Minolta and stitched together using Photomerg like this.
    September Sunrise BW by dbuckle2695, on Flickr
  10. mgr

mgr Mu-43 Regular

Thank's for the feedback

I did some research in the internet and figured out similar as some
    of you posted. Especially in the Leica forums you get plenty of discussions.

My conclusion: Cosina-Voigtländer lenses like the CV 21mm f4 Skopar
    or the 15mm f 4.5 Heliar would work out and would be +/- affordable
    but there will be no advantage compared with the already quite good
    Lumix 14mm and 20mm lenses.

I just like the touch and feel of the old glases, but the optical result
    also has to be given when several hundred $ have to be invested.

11. RSilva

RSilva Mu-43 Regular

Oct 24, 2011
    Good vintage wide lens cost a lot of money and it is useless to use them with a m43 sensor.
    The last lens I got was the russian Mir 20-m. It´s a huge chunk of glass that fits ok on my spotmatic but on a pen it just looks silly. The pana 20mm is 10 times smaller and delivers the best IQ. 20mm is a very wide lens but on a m43 camera it's just a normal lens.
  12. Zanr Zij

Zanr Zij Mu-43 Regular

Mar 10, 2012
    OM Zuiko almost very good for B & W :)