Which New Olympus Pen Design Do You Prefer?

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Via 43 Rumors and Mirrorless Rumors, we now have leaked press kit photos of the E-P3 and E-PM1. Both cameras are expected to be announced at 6am tomorrow London time.

The E-P3 is shown below in silver, while the smaller E-PM1 is shown in black. According to the 43 Rumors admin, the E-PL3 will have the same design as the E-PM1. Which design do you prefer, E-P3 or E-PM1/E-PL3? Vote in our poll.

2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Maybe I should have titled this thread, "Help me choose a camera to buy" :rofl:.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Honestly, I like the grip on the E-PL2. I don't see how the new E-Pl3 or E-PM1 will balance, even with the kit lens. So I guess it will have to be the E-p3 until I see more.
  4. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    The E-P3 is beautiful. If it had a tiltable screen, I'd be more likely to buy it. If I wanted a supercompact, that other one would fit the bill.
  5. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    EP3 looks just like the EP2. And why no tilt screen on the flagship model??

The black colored body looks better than the silver/champaigne color, IMO.
  6. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I like the E-PM1 design, and I want the E-PL3 flip LCD, but I don't think I can get past the looks of the E-P3. Maybe I'm superficial, but the E-P3 looks will make me want to pick it up and use it.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Exactly where I'm at. I continue to pick up the EP1 and sell other bodies, because it's a joy to use and a joy to have with me, perhaps even in a superficial way. Heck, I'm an Apple owner, so I'm clearly hooked on looks, lol.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. jlabate

jlabate Mu-43 Regular

Nov 22, 2010
    I voted for the E-P3. It's more unique and more retro. The M is more generic and more like P&S's.
  9. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Bleh, the new strap loops look wimpy compared to the ones on my PL1. Beyond that, I slightly prefer the P3 but honestly they just don't look that different. But...does the PM1 even have a grip? I would really prefer a slightly more substantial grip than what I've got now. I'm leaning really heavily towards picking up the PL3 just as soon as pending consulting job comes through. Tilt screen and fast AF? Yes please.
  10. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Oh dear, the tech specs may be good, but I'm just so glad I bought the handsome little E-PL2, as I wouldn't be buying either of those for their looks, especially the E-PL3 if it really is going to look like that! Yuch.....
  11. georger

georger Mu-43 Regular

May 28, 2010
    I voted for EP3, the body with 12mm lens set looks very good. As someone mentioned earlier my wish is that the little pop-up thingy will have dual personality; flash in the front and viewfinder in the back.

12. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    EP-3 definitely.

That said, depending on their performance etc. I'd like to have the EPM-3 with a very small pancake as a true walk around pocketable camera and have the EP-3 as well for larger lenses and when taking more photography opportunities like attending events or going on trips etc. Was always considering a S95 so nice to see the mini might just fit that bill. I don't really care for a 3-5x retractable zoom lens.

I just hope Olympus are smart and dumb down the EPM-3 enough but keep it good and make the EP-3 really a flagship model that is well seperated from their lesser models. Really don't get how the EPL-3 is gonna fit into the mix.
  13. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    From everything I've read the E-P3 is expected to have an interchangeable grip, and you can see by the picture that the little E-P2 grip on thecamera looks removeable. The other grips would more likely be like the E-PL2, or perhaps even something bigger like a GH2?
  14. stanleyk

stanleyk Guest

May 26, 2010
    I'm about to cancel my G3 pre-order and wait for the EPL3.
  15. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    Easily the E-P3 for me as well. Classic good looks.

The E-PM1 looks like it lacks any hand grip, and being so thin isn't going to be easy to hold on to. Looks like something I'd carry full time by the lens, but then what was the point? Maybe if you used it with pancakes/primes/collapsible lenses only? I guess it might make a decent enough secondary body.

I'm waiting to see full final specs, and image quality first. They are cameras after all... :wink:
  16. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    They look to be the same loops as on my EP1, which have been rock solid for two years...
  17. jamawass

jamawass Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2011
    I would like to have the E-PL3 but lack of included flash is a slight negative although the tiltable touch screen is a definite plus. With the E-PL2's built in flash I can give it a subtle bounce by directing it upwards. Anyway I'll wait for the announcement before making any decisions.
  18. Pim

Pim Mu-43 Regular

Definitely the E-P3 for me. The E-PM1 is just too small and smooth. Reminds me of the XZ-1, I played around with that one quite a bit recently as a friend of mine owns one. As much as I like that camera when it comes to specs and output I don't like the ergonomics on that one too much, no grip to speak of. Actually of all current Olympus models I prefer the E-PL2 (which, not surprisingly I guess), is my current body. The E-P3 as shown here with the grip would probably do though, if and when I decide for a second body... no hurry though, let's see what the future holds...:)
  19. trisberg

trisberg Mu-43 Regular

Apr 14, 2009
    I voted for the E-PM1 based on size. A small grip would have been nice, but I'll wait and see how the handling is without one. Just hope the focus is faster even with the existing pancakes and that the high ISO performance is improved.

20. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    Grip alternatives...

I too voted for the P3.

For those concerned about the grip/lack there of on the other models, may I suggest the Franiec grip? It's available for the xz-1 and if it doesn't fit the new models, I'm sure he'll modify it. Still not a full G1/2 - but very comfortable and very high quality.

Richard Franiec's Camera Accessories