Which new body?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Neftun, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Neftun

Neftun Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 15, 2012
    Norway
    Patrick Kristiansen
    Ok, I just sold my em5 with mixed feelings. Was very happy with it ib general, but a few things made me sell it:

Ergonomics: while excellent for its size, I missed the immediate, tactile control of my earlier d300. Ran out of buttons...

Viewfinder: while good, refresh rate and resolution, especially with legacy lenses and macro, could be better.

Afc: well, you all know this part. No need to elaborate.

The native lenses I have that represent some investment are the pl25 and oly75.

I have my eyes on the em1. But also thinking in these a7(r) and nikon df (or whatever) times I am tempted to save up for a premium ff and adapt my om's, and in the mean time buy a cheaper m43 body. Have an ep1 as backup as well.

Any thoughts?

Patrick K

2. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    Both routes are viable options. The EM1 or a EP5 with the VF4 perhaps. Or a GH3 if you want a DSLR style body.

Otherwise the A7 combined with something like an EPM2 is good. Though you do end up spending more on lenses that way.

3. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    If you're not happy with the AF of the EM-5, don't go near the new Sony bodies. C-AF limits burst mode to about 2 fps on those puppies. Rapid AF is not their strong suit.

I think the fastest CDAF-based C-AF now belongs to Panasonic. The GH3 and G6, and I assume the GX7, are dramatically faster than the EM-5 in this regard. The EM-1 PDAF with fourt-thirds lenses is on par with Oly's four-thirds bodies, which are well behind the best of today's DSLRs. How the EM-1 compares to the GH3 I've seen no tests to date.

4. Neftun

Neftun Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 15, 2012
    Norway
    Patrick Kristiansen
    I had no qualms with the em5's afs. In fact, it was superior to my nikon. And as capable I'm sure they are, pana just don't do it for me. But good point about the sony's af. The em1 will af sufficiently well, I think. Fastest moving object for me will my three year old nephew:)

Any word on the speedbooster for om lenses?

Patrick K

5. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Agree about S-AF. I was talking about C-AF. I had an EM-5, now have a GH3. The Oly was marginal, at best, for tracking moving subjects. The GH3 is surprisingly good. I agree the EM1 is likely to be good enough for your needs. At least with four-thirds lenses. I'm not clear on how well the on-chip PDAF works with m43 lenses.

6. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Big difference between S-AF performance (which is outstanding) and C-AF tracking performance (which is mediocre at best) on the the Olympus bodies prior to the E-M1. And there is no way you can be saying that the AF performance of the E-M5 is better than a Nikon with respect to continuous tracking performance, unless your Nikon was a D100 or a D70. Because any Nikon from the last 7-8 years has better continuous AF tracking performance than any of the Olympus bodies prior to the E-M1.

7. Neftun

Neftun Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 15, 2012
    Norway
    Patrick Kristiansen
    I was referring to the single af, which is faster on the em5 than the d300 even with af-s lenses. Tracking is another story. One thing I missed in the em5 compared to the nikon was the af-on button on the back. I usually had it set to contious af, and disabled af on shutterbutton. Anyone know if the en1 can be configured similarly?

Patrick K