1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Which ND filter?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by manju69, Mar 3, 2012.

1. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Pete
    Hi - Whilst shooting today in full sunlight, I hit the ceiling in terms of shooting wide open with my PL 25mm F1.4. (not that I always want to shot wide open) I'd like to buy a ND filter but using a filter is new to me. Any recommendations for brand and also amount of stops. If i were to get just one - which would it be in terms of ND4, ND 8 etc? Thanks in advance.

2. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    I use a B&W Nd8 for my general shooting. I also have a 10 stop for creative effects. Good quality filters and I've had no colour casts from them.

Gordon

3. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    On my Contax G1 with the Zeiss 45mm ƒ2.0, I use a 64x (B+W ND 1.8) on bright days.

4. Shield

Shield Mu-43 Regular

Jul 11, 2011
    Worthington Ohio
    I bit the bullet and bought the thin Singh-Ray 77mm vari-ND filter, but I like to waste money on camera gear.

• Like Like x 1
  5. bryan

bryan Mu-43 Regular

Feb 27, 2012
    Get a cheap Polaroid Fader ND filter. They provide variable levels of reduction and be can be had for $40 or less, depending on the size.

Search for "polaroid fader" on B&H to find them.

This will allow you to experiment with different exposure levels; you can spend more money on better filters later.

6. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    I use Hoya ND4 & ND8; separately or together depending on the circumstance.

7. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Well, it all depends on how you shoot! When you were out today, how many stops away from f/1.4 were you (what was that ceiling)? For example, if you were at the maximum shutter speed and needed f/4 or smaller for the correct exposure, then you would need at least a 3-stop ND filter, which is ND8. Here is a list of how many stops each filter corresponds to:
    Neutral density filter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'd say that an ND8 would be what you need. Especially if you were at the maximum shutter speed already, that would drop you from 1/4000 to 1/500, giving you a bit of headroom.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I have ordered ND8 and I think this should be enough for as Shnitz said.I also had similar problem and I was unable to use the lens in broad day light with max aperture open.
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

9. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Heh...heh...One of these days, I'm going to get myself some type of Singh-Ray product....:cool:

10. stillshunter

stillshunter Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2011
    Did a lot of research for an ND filter for the PL25. Looks like the smart money is with a variable like the SinghRay's but without resorting to a 46-77mm step up ring :eek: Reviews on the Polaroids aren't encouraging, though I hear great things about the LCW (LightCraftWorkshop) Fader ND MkII as long as you don't max it out and invite the cross-banding.

They do come in the native 46mm but are hard to find. I would buy the more common 52mm and use my 46-52 step-up ring.

11. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Pete
    Thanks everyone. That's already very helpful. I think 3 stops should do it. I'll check out the brands you mention.

12. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    I have a further question regarding ND filters and hope that the more experienced here can provide some info.

I use the oly 45mm and at times in bright daylight and would prefer to use it wide open, with a little flash assistance to make the subject stand out a little more or to light the subject more evenly. Apart from stopping the lens down to a level that increases the DOF dramatically, I am assuming that the best approach is to use an ND filter of some type.

What are members' experiences with the vari ND filters? I understand that you only get what you pay for, but they seem to be a better all round solution rather than carrying multiple filters and stacking on the lens. I have read mixed reviews on most of the vari filters; even the most expensive items.

I may in the future purchase the pany 25mm so a dedicated 37mm filter may not be wise, and I may need to purchase the larger filter for the 25mm and a step down ring for the 37mm front of the oly 45mm and the 17mm.

Any user experiences on any vari ND filters would be appreciated. If all of these vari filters decrease the image quality significanlty, then I will purchase a set of ND filters.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

13. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    You shouldn't really need more than an ND8 filter. To adjust flash output, just use the flash compensation setting, which is independent of adjusting exposure with ND filters. If you need another ND filter, a polarizer gives you the same exposure decrease as an ND2 filter, but gives the advantages of polarization.

• Like Like x 1
  14. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    Thanks Shnitz,

I already own a CP (37mm). If I understand correctly, I would add the CP to the outside of the ND filter and adjust accordingly?

15. Old Picker

Old Picker Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2012
    Cwmbran Wales UK
    Hi,
    Does anyone have the panasonic ND filters and if so, what are they like?
    OP