1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Which native mount MFT lenses are weathersealed?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by LowriderS10, Nov 21, 2013.

1. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Hi gang,

I may be going to Borneo this winter, and spending a few days in the jungle. I'm thinking of picking up a weathersealed lens - since I have the weathersealed OM-D - because it apparently can get rather damp in a jungle/rainforest. ;)

Initially I was thinking of just picking up a 12-50, but I'm considering others...the Panasonic 12-35 and Oly 12-40 are also weathersealed, right?

What other lenses are weathersealed? (I'm mainly looking at a walkaround zoom, however, I'd consider others as well, especially telephoto zooms, as I don't have one of those and I definitely want to pick one up to shoot wildlife).

Thanks!
    T

2. cdmicha

cdmicha Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2012
    Arkansas
    Chris
    I belive the list is:

Olympus 12-50mm
    Olympus 12-40mm
    Olympus 60mm Macro
    Panasonic 12-35mm
    Panasonic 35-100mm

This is just off the top of my head.

• Like Like x 2
  3. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Also just about all of the 4/3 HG and SHG lenses are weather-sealed.

4. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

When used with the weather sealed MMF-3 adapter. ;)

5. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Thanks, Chris.

I know the 4/3 lenses are, but that's why I specifically asked for "native MFT mount" lenses.

I don't want to bother with the adapters or the extra size/weight of the 4/3 lenses. Plus, I'm sure that would be even more expensive than just picking up a used 12-35.

6. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    Hey! Where in Borneo? If you're stopping by Kota Kinabalu, hit me up :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Whoa, well this is lucky! I'm going to Kota Kinabalu (at least planning on it, still not 100%, but very, very close!) and hoping to use that as a base. I'll message you right now, and if it's okay, pick your brain about some local stuff! :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    A used 12-60 SWD + MMF3 might cost about the same as a used 12-35, and the extra 25mm of reach could make a difference... I know you didn't ask for this, but just saying... :wink:

9. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Don't know about that. You can get an MMF-3 and 14-54 II refurbished for around $420. I certainly haven't seen 12-35s in that range.

One other thing is that Panasonic seems to be using different measures for weather-sealing than Olympus. If you're just worried about moisture it shouldn't matter, but if you're shooting in heavy rain or surf or whatnot, I'd be cautious.

10. klee

klee Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Kevin
    besides the zooms,
    the 60mm macro was the only other one.

11. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    I wish Olympus and Panasonic would upgrade their full line of ยต43's lenses to be "splash proof". I'm a lucky recipient of the new Oly 12-40 zoom and I love it on my E-M5, but this is the heaviest I want to handle on any system. I'd love it if they would "weather seal" their 40-150 f4-5.6 as I also love this lens. It's both sharp and inexpensive and I'm sure when the come out with more ultra wide zooms they will be "weather sealed" too. I realize this will add cost to these lenses but i feel it would be worth it.

12. bcaslis

bcaslis Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2011
    Wilsonville, OR, USA
    Brian Caslis
    Actually I want them to weather seal the primes (12, 17, 45, 75). Those would be my first wish.

13. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Thanks, but yeah, I want to stay specifically with M4/3. The options you've outlined, yes, cost about as much as a 12-35 or somewhat cheaper, but they're way too big. Both of those lenses with the adapter weigh about TWICE as much as a 12-35 and they're both thicker and with the adapter roughly 40-50mm longer...that's just way too big for me.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of neither Oly nor Pan releasing any specifics about weathersealing, so I'm not planning on doing anything crazy with it...I'd just like to have it so I don't worry about it if I'm caught in rain or something.