Which native mount MFT lenses are weathersealed?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by LowriderS10, Nov 21, 2013.

1. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Hi gang,

I may be going to Borneo this winter, and spending a few days in the jungle. I'm thinking of picking up a weathersealed lens - since I have the weathersealed OM-D - because it apparently can get rather damp in a jungle/rainforest. ;)

Initially I was thinking of just picking up a 12-50, but I'm considering others...the Panasonic 12-35 and Oly 12-40 are also weathersealed, right?

What other lenses are weathersealed? (I'm mainly looking at a walkaround zoom, however, I'd consider others as well, especially telephoto zooms, as I don't have one of those and I definitely want to pick one up to shoot wildlife).

2. cdmicha

cdmicha Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2012
    I belive the list is:

Olympus 12-50mm
    Olympus 12-40mm
    Olympus 60mm Macro
    Panasonic 12-35mm
    Panasonic 35-100mm

This is just off the top of my head.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Also just about all of the 4/3 HG and SHG lenses are weather-sealed.
  4. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 20, 2012
    Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia
    When used with the weather sealed MMF-3 adapter. ;)
  5. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Thanks, Chris.

I know the 4/3 lenses are, but that's why I specifically asked for "native MFT mount" lenses.

I don't want to bother with the adapters or the extra size/weight of the 4/3 lenses. Plus, I'm sure that would be even more expensive than just picking up a used 12-35.
  6. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Hey! Where in Borneo? If you're stopping by Kota Kinabalu, hit me up :)
    • Like Like x 1
  7. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Whoa, well this is lucky! I'm going to Kota Kinabalu (at least planning on it, still not 100%, but very, very close!) and hoping to use that as a base. I'll message you right now, and if it's okay, pick your brain about some local stuff! :)
    • Like Like x 1
  8. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    A used 12-60 SWD + MMF3 might cost about the same as a used 12-35, and the extra 25mm of reach could make a difference... I know you didn't ask for this, but just saying... :wink:
  9. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Don't know about that. You can get an MMF-3 and 14-54 II refurbished for around $420. I certainly haven't seen 12-35s in that range.

One other thing is that Panasonic seems to be using different measures for weather-sealing than Olympus. If you're just worried about moisture it shouldn't matter, but if you're shooting in heavy rain or surf or whatnot, I'd be cautious.
  10. klee

klee Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2013
    Houston, TX
    besides the zooms,
    the 60mm macro was the only other one.
  11. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Alabama, USA
    I wish Olympus and Panasonic would upgrade their full line of ยต43's lenses to be "splash proof". I'm a lucky recipient of the new Oly 12-40 zoom and I love it on my E-M5, but this is the heaviest I want to handle on any system. I'd love it if they would "weather seal" their 40-150 f4-5.6 as I also love this lens. It's both sharp and inexpensive and I'm sure when the come out with more ultra wide zooms they will be "weather sealed" too. I realize this will add cost to these lenses but i feel it would be worth it.
  12. bcaslis

bcaslis Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2011
    Wilsonville, OR, USA
    Brian Caslis
    Actually I want them to weather seal the primes (12, 17, 45, 75). Those would be my first wish.
  13. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Thanks, but yeah, I want to stay specifically with M4/3. The options you've outlined, yes, cost about as much as a 12-35 or somewhat cheaper, but they're way too big. Both of those lenses with the adapter weigh about TWICE as much as a 12-35 and they're both thicker and with the adapter roughly 40-50mm longer...that's just way too big for me.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of neither Oly nor Pan releasing any specifics about weathersealing, so I'm not planning on doing anything crazy with it...I'd just like to have it so I don't worry about it if I'm caught in rain or something.