1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Which mu-43 to Canon adapter?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by JamieW, Mar 10, 2014.

1. JamieW

JamieW Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 25, 2013
    Hi guys, haven't posted in a while. Got a new job which is going to be keeping me busy, so I'm putting my portrait work on hold for a while. Paycheck's coming in, weekends are free, it's almost kayaking weather, and I've decided to give wildlife photography a go. I've never tried it before, it looks relaxing and I live in a great area for it.

I just pre-ordered the new Tamron 150-600mm SP Di VC USD lens (Canon Mount). I originally thought 600mm F6.3 seemed a bit slow, but then I saw the price on the Canon 600mm F4 and suddenly 6.3 didn't seem so slow.

My local retailer tells me it will possibly be in this week. I intend to put it on my 6D, and potentially add a 70D to the mix (bringing it to an effective 960mm FOV @ F6.3 with auto focus). After thinking about it more though, curiosity is getting the better of me and I'm thinking a 1200mm FOV would be a lot of fun on an E-M1 if I can get the hang of manual focusing.

I don't know jack about mu-43 to Canon adapters though. I've heard about metabones and seen mention of a few other names, all with different features but I didn't really pay much attention at the time since I had no need for one. I'm assuming there aren't any that support auto focus, but hoping I'm wrong. What adapters would you guys recommend for pairing this lens to the E-M1?

Heading to the Mattamuskeet National Wildlife Refuge this weekend, and hoping the stars align and I can use this lens for the trip.

Thanks in advance!

2. billbooz

billbooz Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2014
    Lynchburg, VA USA
    William H. Booz
    Jamie, I got the Bower Kippon adapter to use with EOS lenses: http://www.infotor.com/blog/using-newer-canon-ef-lenses-with-the-pl3/. It ran me $116, I believe. And, yes, you do lose auto focus and, in fact, direct aperture control. I got the Kippon adapter because (1) it was less expensive and (2) it has an aperture-like diaphragm that, at least, simulates stopping down your lens' actual aperture. I'm rue others will pipe in with other solutions that do give you somewhat more control, but I have been happy with this adapter.

• Like Like x 1
  3. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    For that particular zoom, wouldn't you be using it mostly at f6.3? In that case, you can pick up an EOS-M42 adapter with no aperture diaphragm for really cheap off ebay, or from the fotodiox website, for like $20 or less. .

At this moment, you can buy a Metabones EOS adapter that provides electronic aperture control and auto focus (although they say AF is very slow), but it exists only for NEX bodies and costs $399. Nothing like this exists for M43.

• Like Like x 1
  4. JamieW

JamieW Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 25, 2013
    You are correct. Mostly F6.3, but potentially 7.1 or F8 at 600mm to get it a bit sharper. I have a Canon body I can mount it to in order to change aperture if necessary. The $20 option looks like a winner.

Thanks for the replies.