Which mu-43 to Canon adapter?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by JamieW, Mar 10, 2014.

1. JamieW

JamieW Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 25, 2013
    Hi guys, haven't posted in a while. Got a new job which is going to be keeping me busy, so I'm putting my portrait work on hold for a while. Paycheck's coming in, weekends are free, it's almost kayaking weather, and I've decided to give wildlife photography a go. I've never tried it before, it looks relaxing and I live in a great area for it.

I just pre-ordered the new Tamron 150-600mm SP Di VC USD lens (Canon Mount). I originally thought 600mm F6.3 seemed a bit slow, but then I saw the price on the Canon 600mm F4 and suddenly 6.3 didn't seem so slow.

My local retailer tells me it will possibly be in this week. I intend to put it on my 6D, and potentially add a 70D to the mix (bringing it to an effective 960mm FOV @ F6.3 with auto focus). After thinking about it more though, curiosity is getting the better of me and I'm thinking a 1200mm FOV would be a lot of fun on an E-M1 if I can get the hang of manual focusing.

I don't know jack about mu-43 to Canon adapters though. I've heard about metabones and seen mention of a few other names, all with different features but I didn't really pay much attention at the time since I had no need for one. I'm assuming there aren't any that support auto focus, but hoping I'm wrong. What adapters would you guys recommend for pairing this lens to the E-M1?

Heading to the Mattamuskeet National Wildlife Refuge this weekend, and hoping the stars align and I can use this lens for the trip.

Thanks in advance!

2. billbooz

billbooz Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2014
    Lynchburg, VA USA
    William H. Booz
    Jamie, I got the Bower Kippon adapter to use with EOS lenses: http://www.infotor.com/blog/using-newer-canon-ef-lenses-with-the-pl3/. It ran me $116, I believe. And, yes, you do lose auto focus and, in fact, direct aperture control. I got the Kippon adapter because (1) it was less expensive and (2) it has an aperture-like diaphragm that, at least, simulates stopping down your lens' actual aperture. I'm rue others will pipe in with other solutions that do give you somewhat more control, but I have been happy with this adapter.

• Like Like x 1
  3. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    For that particular zoom, wouldn't you be using it mostly at f6.3? In that case, you can pick up an EOS-M42 adapter with no aperture diaphragm for really cheap off ebay, or from the fotodiox website, for like $20 or less. .

At this moment, you can buy a Metabones EOS adapter that provides electronic aperture control and auto focus (although they say AF is very slow), but it exists only for NEX bodies and costs $399. Nothing like this exists for M43.

• Like Like x 1
  4. JamieW

JamieW Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 25, 2013
    You are correct. Mostly F6.3, but potentially 7.1 or F8 at 600mm to get it a bit sharper. I have a Canon body I can mount it to in order to change aperture if necessary. The $20 option looks like a winner.

Thanks for the replies.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.