Which MTF body & which MTF lens do you like the least ? (WAR)

Dakota

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Bill Cook
Another good question is the above. This might start world WAR three if anyone cares to respond? This should prove interesting. The good and the bad and the ugly. This question should give in sight to trial and error on cameras and lenses MTF only. I imagine a lot of these ended up in the FOR SALE section?

JamesD172

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
James Dolezal
Well, I've only used the E-M10, E-M10 II, E-M5 II, and GX85. Of those, I liked the GX85 least, mostly because of its EVF.

All M43 lenses are pretty darn good, but I suppose the one I've liked the least was the kit Olympus 14-42 IIR. But that's just because our primes are out of this world.

In other words... the GX85 sux!!! So does the 14-42IIR!!!

/s

noohoggin1

Instagram: @tomnguyenstudio
Real Name
Tom
I dipped into m43rds with the old 12 megapixel sensor E-pm1, and every other other m43 camera body I've owned since then was of the 16-megapixel variety. So for pure image quality, I'd say the E-pm 1 was my least favorite. Although if we are counting the LX100 (m43 sensor, even if cropped), I'd say that was my least enjoyable to use, starting with the slow-as-molasses power zoom.

Least favorite lens I've used: Oly body cap lens (only used that once in 3 years), and the Oly kit 14-42mm.

rloewy

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ron
I have 3 bodies - E-PM2, Air and E-PL7 - I like them all. The Air has no ibis - so you need to be more careful with it, but the form factor is fantastic. The E-PL7 has better ibis and screen than the E-PM2 but it is heavier, so no least body for me.

Of the native lenses - the 12-50 is my least favorite - but I still keep it because it has the electronic zoom which is useful at times when using it on the air remotely.

listers_nz

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Simon
Least favorite body: Panasonic G3, the ergonomics of that just didn't work for me
Least favorite lens: Panasonic 14-42mm PZ, just never liked the location of the zoom switch

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
Most disappointing body: GM5. EVF is poor, LCD isn't 4:3 so the image is not that big either. Near useless hot shoe thanks to the 1/50s flash sync, and the little separate flash that comes with it doesn't bounce. I 'downgraded' - for something similar, the GF7 does at least have a large LCD that tilts, and a built-in flash that can be used for bounce in a pinch.

Most disappointing lens: 12-50mm. Versatile, just too slow beyond 25mm. Also rather long and heavy for the range it offers.

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
Most disappointing body - GM5. I desperately wanted this camera for its compactness and "cute" factor, but it just didn't cut it:
- Too small to easily handle
- Very limiting shutter - e- shutter only on legacy lenses, e-shutter only above 1/300 sec
- Viewfinder impossibly small
- No tilting screen
- 10-bit files with e-shutter
- Terrible battery life

Most disappointing lens - Panasonic 50-200. This should be a no brainer lens given its size, price and focal length range, but it falls way short in IQ:
- Very poor sharpness at 200mm
- Images lack contrast and "life"

Hypilein

Mu-43 All-Pro
Epl5 is surely the most disappointing camera among those I've tried (G6, GX7, GX80, EPL5). No buttons for anything and a terrible menu system. What a nightmare...

Lenses I've never been disappointed (got the 20mm kit with my GX7). Best kit lens ever!

Paul80

Mu-43 Veteran
Only owned G5, G6, GX7 AND G80

Least favourite was the G5, but only because all the newer ones got better.

Lenses only owned 14-45, 14-42, 40_150, 45-150, 9mm BCL 100-300mk1 100-300Mk2, 60mm Sigma and 60mm Macro.

Only the 100-300 Mk1 was a disappointment. Although the Sigma never gave the sharpness seen with other people's examples but not a dissapontment to use.

Last edited:

TheMenWhoDrawSheeps

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Pen-f and oly 9-18mm
Pen-f, because i don't buy into Marketing, it looks great, but for me the ergonomics is just terrible - wheels aren't there, where they supposed to be, also size of the wheels. It's only mft camera featuring 3 wheels, yet you still can't assign them to work aperture / shutter / iso.
Same for effects wheel.

9-18mm because it's a poor performer, despite the fact it was released recently.

Last edited:

Starfleet

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Alex
It's only mft camera featuring 3 wheels, yet you still can't assign them to work aperture / shutter / iso.
Set auto iso, and use the exposure compensation wheel. And it does work in M (unlike the GX8, which also has 3 wheels), and even if you lock the exposure. Done.
I don't find the ergo bad once you add a grip, but i wish it had a couple more buttons.

Last edited:

TheMenWhoDrawSheeps

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Set auto iso, and use the exposure compensation wheel. And it does work in M. Done.
That's what I do now, but i don't like it. Shooting events in pitch darkness, wide open at f1, maintaining shutter speeds between 1/30 and 1/60s. Iso 800 is as much as i can tolerate automatic use. So i'm always on the verge between shutterspeed and iso - guess wich one automatic will preffer to do? raise iso, no matter the situation.

BradS

Mu-43 Regular
I have 3 bodies - E-PM2, Air and E-PL7 - I like them all. The Air has no ibis - so you need to be more careful with it, but the form factor is fantastic. The E-PL7 has better ibis and screen than the E-PM2 but it is heavier, so no least body for me.

Of the native lenses - the 12-50 is my least favorite - but I still keep it because it has the electronic zoom which is useful at times when using it on the air remotely.

Hi,

What do you mean by using it on the air remotely?

Thanks,

Brad

Drdave944

Mu-43 All-Pro
Evidently camera aficionado are unlike car enthusiasts who look back with affection at their old,if imperfect equipment. Sure you had to work to get the best performance out of the old jalopy, but I don't remember anyone damning the old Chevy because the shift lever was plasticy or had a squishy action compared to the latest Corvette. There is a degree of reverence for some old lenses and the photographs they can take,but mostly cameras are considered disposable junk.

bigboysdad

Mu-43 All-Pro
Though it was a significant step up from my Canon S95, first real ILC camera system and something that has provided great memories, I'll still have to nominate the E-PL5 for the reason that it just falls apart, which was a shame. Cheap and bad build.

As for lenses, well I was delighted to score the Tokina 300mm F6.3 Macro native m43 lens brand new for under $200 AUD, but I soon found out why it was that price. A really bad lens, which is ironic as the DSLR Tokina 100mm F2.8 macro/ general lens is 'king wonderful.

Gerard

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I owned a G5, that I traded for a EM5.
I recently bought a PM1 and a VF4. I really like this combo. I can change the settings fairly quickly.
I am eying a Pen P5, that is a sort of middle body between the 2 others plus some Extra's.

I like my newly acquired 30/3.5 for both macro and general shooting. My first M43 lens was a S30/2.8, so I am back at the start, so to speak.

My EM5 and 12-40 are now joined in matrimony for the serious work, that is the serious fun work, whatever.

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
Evidently camera aficionado are unlike car enthusiasts who look back with affection at their old,if imperfect equipment. Sure you had to work to get the best performance out of the old jalopy, but I don't remember anyone damning the old Chevy because the shift lever was plasticy or had a squishy action compared to the latest Corvette. There is a degree of reverence for some old lenses and the photographs they can take,but mostly cameras are considered disposable junk.
Who says we are camera afficionados? I make imagery, the cameras and lenses are just tools. I take the same view of my car - it's just a mode of transport.

Latest threads

Top Bottom